Become a Patron!

£200+ Deep And Still No Idea!

Hey,

Just signed up because I'm I have no idea what I'm doing and I'm £200+ deep in to hardware.

I don't care about massive clouds. I'm trying to switch to vapes from fags.

My main problem is finding out optimum settings for the vaporisers I have bought. The technical side of it I guess.

I've smoked 20 AmberLeaf a day for the past 15 years. I love smoking, but I'm really starting to feel sick with it - but I do LOVE smoking I can't stress that enough!

- Vision Spinner 2 -

18 months ago I bought a Vision Spinner 2 from a local store and was really impressed. I even went 6 months on that alone with 18mg juice. I've been through 10 Vision batterys since then and I'm fed up with buying them. First few weeks goes great then it's slowly downhill till they won't hold charge anymore. I've got 20+ atomisers with dead coils as the local store wouldn't sell coils on there own!

- Kangertech SubBox Mini Kit -

Then I bought a Kangertech SubBox Mini Kit in White with an 18650 battery after reading great reviews. I built it up and was instantly disappointed. I'm impressed with the hardware. It's the results it produces that's the problem. The hit off it was extreamly mellow, could hardly feel it in my throat at all.

The spec I have is the standard coil which is printed OCC - 1.5ohm - 10w to 26w set to 25.0W on the display. When I take a blast the Volt shows 6.4v. I started with the free 6mg juice and switched to my usual 18mg vape juice almost instantly with little effect - tiny bit harsher but still no good.

• Do these numbers sound correct for what I'm trying to achieve?

• How can I make it into a useable vape?

It pulls strongly but produces a slightly less amount of smoke than my Visions did with probably 25% less hit in my throat. Unacceptable to use as a fag substitute.

I've barely touched it since I bought it. Probably used it for a week on and off over 6 months but still smoking 20 AmberLeaf.

I smoke these vapes like I smoke fags. Draw it into my mouth, then down my throat. I see YouTube videos of dudes breathing it straight into the lungs and that is not my style at all.

- Smok Alien 220W TC Kit -

Ordered an Alien 220W and duel 18650 battery's after watching some YouTube videos and searching Google for a stronger hitting vape - thinking bigger power may solve my quest. This arrived yesterday and I'm completely overwhelmed with the the settings. Again the hardware is fantastic. The videos and reviews show the hardware off but don't show optimum settings for Watts, Temperature Control, Airhole Gap, Ohms, etc?

The coil is printed Baby Q2 0.4ohms,
40-80W, Best 55-65W.

Built it up and filled it up with 18mg juice. I set it to 50.0W, opened the airhole all the way and set the Strength setting to soft.

It was BRUTAL. Felt like it burnt my lips off and smoke was super hot murdering my throat. It was a 0.75sec drag!

After trying to figure out wtf happened I stumbled across the Temperature Control and ended up settling on 120oC.

I still can now only pull for 0.75sec and create a similar Cloud as the Kanger (poor) but it is a fair bit harsher.

The YouTube of RiP Trippers etc hitting it for like 5+ seconds would be IMPOSSIBLE the way I have mine set up now!!

It must be me and the way I'm setting these things up - the reviews of these pieces of kit are fantastic so people are definitely having a much better user experience than me - I can tell that by the YouTube Videos I watch. The difference is night and day.

The TL;DR of it is - bought Vision Spinners (10 of them) fed up with failure rate. Bought Kanger SubBox Kit, thoroughly unimpressed with throat hit and cloud being virtually nil.. Bought Smok Alien 220w overwhelmed with settings, need a good base line to work from.

What am I doing wrong?! Please help!!

Last edited:

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have both of those mods/tanks so maybe I can help.
On the Alien:
Firstly, get off Temp and stay on Watt. Those aren't TC coils.
Second, 18mg is probably too much nic for you with those coils on the Alien, or any of the coils that fit that tank. I was a pack and half smoker for over 25 years, and was rolling my own unfiltered for the last 4. I quit cigs using 12mg in the Kanger with 0.5ohm coils. I WISH I had an Alien back then, lol. I'm using 3mg with the Alien setup now, after 13 months off cigs.

The higher nic at 50w has gotta be harsh as hell. Try the 6mg in the Alien at 30-35watts with airflow about half-closed.

With the Kanger, try the 18mg at around 15w with the airflow wide open.

My wife actually uses the Subtank Mini on her Alien mod between 26w and 29w, with the airflow wide open. But with the 0.5ohm coil and 1.5mg juice.

So basically, try the higher nic juice in the Mini tank at lower power and more air. And the lower nic juice with the Baby Beast at lower power with less air.

I know it can be overwhelming and frustrating when you get new goodies that are supposed to be awesome, but you can't seem to get a good vape for shit. We've all been there, lol. Don't give up. Somebody else will come along with other suggestions soon.

And Welcome to VU:cheers:

Oh, make sure you prime the coils well. I drop a couple of drips down the middle of the coil first. Then slowly add drops to the holes in the sides until they won't absorb any more juices. Takes a couple of minutes with thick juices, but it's absolutely necessary.

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Gakudzu is spot on with that ^^^
I have both and can't agree more.

Subtank Mini is a MTL (Mouth to Lung) style tank were the Alien SMOK Baby Beast Tank is a billower! 3-6mg MAX on the Nic in that guy.

I personally quit smoking stinkies (pack and half a day, 15 yrs) using the Subtank Mini. Started as 12mg NIC and it was a lot. Went down to 6mg now at 3mg and using bigger DLT (Direct Lung Tank) setups.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
open the air flow up a bit more, and increase the power to 28W. I wouldn't go higher than 30W though. Also you can get ejuice with higher PG to get more throat hit.
I didn't see you mention the pg/vg ratio of what you use now. So increase pg by about 10%.. like if you are on 20gp/80vp switch to 30/70. Try that, or 40/60.
You may also find your nicotine level changing as you vape. For example, the kanger set up can pump out a lot more vapor than a pen style, and a lot more nicotine per drag. SO, to avoid getting nic sick, you drop the mg a bit. I started at 24, and kept dropping, now i use 3mg for pretty much everything.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey,

Just signed up because I'm I have no idea what I'm doing and I'm £200+ deep in to hardware.

I don't care about massive clouds. I'm trying to switch to vapes from fags.

My main problem is finding out optimum settings for the vaporisers I have bought. The technical side of it I guess.

I've smoked 20 AmberLeaf a day for the past 15 years. I love smoking, but I'm really starting to feel sick with it - but I do LOVE smoking I can't stress that enough!

- Vision Spinner 2 -

18 months ago I bought a Vision Spinner 2 from a local store and was really impressed. I even went 6 months on that alone with 18mg juice. I've been through 10 Vision batterys since then and I'm fed up with buying them. First few weeks goes great then it's slowly downhill till they won't hold charge anymore. I've got 20+ atomisers with dead coils as the local store wouldn't sell coils on there own!

Then I bought a Kangertech SubBox Mini Kit in White with an 18650 battery after reading great reviews. I built it up and was instantly disappointed. I'm impressed with the hardware. It's the results it produces that's the problem. The hit off it was extreamly mellow, could hardly feel it in my throat at all.

The spec I have is the standard coil which is printed OCC - 1.5ohm - 10w to 26w set to 25.0W on the display. When I take a blast the Volt shows 6.4v. I started with the free 6mg juice and switched to my usual 18mg vape juice almost instantly with little effect - tiny bit harsher but still no good.

• Do these numbers sound correct for what I'm trying to achieve?

• How can I make it into a useable vape?

It pulls strongly but produces a slightly less amount of smoke than my Visions did with probably 25% less hit in my throat. Unacceptable to use as a fag substitute.

I've barely touched it since I bought it. Probably used it for a week on and off over 6 months but still smoking 20 AmberLeaf.

I smoke these vapes like I smoke fags. Draw it into my mouth, then down my throat. I see YouTube videos of dudes breathing it straight into the lungs and that is not my style at all.

- Smok Alien 220W TC Kit -

Ordered an Alien 220W and duel 18650 battery's after watching some YouTube videos and searching Google for a stronger hitting vape - thinking bigger power may solve my quest. This arrived yesterday and I'm completely overwhelmed with the the settings. Again the hardware is fantastic. The videos and reviews show the hardware off but don't show optimum settings for Watts, Temperature Control, Airhole Gap, Ohms, etc?

The coil is printed Baby Q2 0.4ohms,
40-80W, Best 55-65W.

Built it up and filled it up with 18mg juice. I set it to 50.0W, opened the airhole all the way and set the Strength setting to soft.

It was BRUTAL. Felt like it burnt my lips off and smoke was super hot murdering my throat. It was a 0.75sec drag!

After trying to figure out wtf happened I stumbled across the Temperature Control and ended up settling on 120oC.

I still can now only pull for 0.75sec and create a similar Cloud as the Kanger (poor) but it is a fair bit harsher.

The YouTube of RiP Trippers etc hitting it for like 5+ seconds would be IMPOSSIBLE the way I have mine set up now!!

It must be me and the way I'm setting these things up - the reviews of these pieces of kit are fantastic so people are definitely having a much better user experience than me - I can tell that by the YouTube Videos I watch. The difference is night and day.

The TL;DR of it is - bought Vision Spinners (10 of them) fed up with failure rate. Bought Kanger SubBox Kit, thoroughly unimpressed with throat hit and cloud being virtually nil.. Bought Smok Alien 220w overwhelmed with settings, need a good base line to work from.

What am I doing wrong?! Please help!!
you are not doing anything wrong......as a matter of fact you sound pretty normal, and I suspect most people here have asked the same question......you are just narrowing down how you like to vape.....most vapers have spent alot of money chasing that elusive perfect vape,it is diffrent for everybody..for some people it;s on a 200.00 atty and a 300.00 dollar mod for some it;s on a 30.00 atty and a 50.00 mod ....
it sounds as if you are a mouth to lung vaper a style of vaping that is not as in vouge as cloud chasing has become...I suggest you go over to the MTL thread and look at what kind of gear people there use.....most of the industry is now geared toward cloud chasing, but recently some of the reviewers and vapers who began vaping years,and years ago have been asking the industry for more MTL gear,...and the industry has started to produce some new stuff for them.

VU Sponsors