Become a Patron!

‘Quitting is suffering’: Hon Lik, inventor of the e-cigarette, on why he did it

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The first e-cig design was actually created years before by an American ...

"The earliest electronic cigarette can be traced to American Herbert A. Gilbert, who in 1963 patented a device described as "a smokeless non-tobacco cigarette" that involved "replacing burning tobacco and paper with heated, moist, flavored air". This device was designed to produce flavored steam without nicotine. The patent was granted in 1965. Gilbert’s invention was ahead of its time. There were prototypes, but it received little attention It was never commercialized. This was because smoking was still generally fashionable during that era. Gilbert said in 2013 that today's electric cigarettes follow the basic design set forth in his original patent."

I've seen mention where Hon Lik borrowed heavily from this early patent. Also something I found quite interesting was his take on BP participation and regulation of the e-cig.

:"Lik said in 2013 that "I really hope that the large international pharmaceutical groups get into manufacturing electronic cigarettes and that authorities like the FDA in the United States will continue to impose stricter and stricter standards so that the product will be as safe as possible."

WTF???

Last edited:

VU Sponsors