Become a Patron!

0.05 ohm Coil Wattage?

Hi! I resently bought some coils for my mod, I have the Vaporesso Luxe and a dual coil tank. I usually vape with 80watts, this new coils read 0.05 ohms, but when I vape it with the same Wattage, it tastes a bit burnt, even though I just replaced de cotton, could anyone tell me which is the average Wattage range in which this coils are supposed to be vaped? Also, is it safe? Thanks in advance

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi! I resently bought some coils for my mod, I have the Vaporesso Luxe and a dual coil tank. I usually vape with 80watts, this new coils read 0.05 ohms, but when I vape it with the same Wattage, it tastes a bit burnt, even though I just replaced de cotton, could anyone tell me which is the average Wattage range in which this coils are supposed to be vaped? Also, is it safe? Thanks in advance
I'm pretty sure that's .5 ohms and 80 watts would be pretty high for that resistance.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here's the coils
Oh you're not talking about drop in sub ohm coils, but coils for rebuildables. That's .22 ohms apiece which divided in half for 2 coils would be .11. 80 watts should be ok for that generally.

However, you're saying that you're getting a resistance reading on your mod alot lower than that?

What atomizer, what mod and how experienced are you at working with rebuildable atomizers?

Oh you're not talking about drop in sub ohm coils, but coils for rebuildables. That's .22 ohms apiece which divided in half for 2 coils would be .11. 80 watts should be ok for that generally.

However, you're saying that you're getting a resistance reading on your mod alot lower than that?

What atomizer, what mod and how experienced are you at working with rebuildable atomizers?
Mod its a Vaporesso Luxe (I uploaded a pictures of the reading too), the atomizer... its hard to tell, I'm not in my country right now and I bought this coils as an emergency, and I really dont remembwr the name of the ato :(

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mod its a Vaporesso Luxe (I uploaded a pictures of the reading too), the atomizer... its hard to tell, I'm not in my country right now and I bought this coils as an emergency, and I really dont remembwr the name of the ato :(
That's ok. :)
Did you buy the atty and the coils together as an emergency and you're used to regular coils?

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm sorry, I'm kinda new to this rebuildable things... but, what's the build deck?
Oh boy. No offense, but it is pretty much certain you did something wrong. Have no fear, Everybody starts at the beginning. The build deck is the inside where you put in the coils. Can you open it and show us how the coils look?

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you take it off and put the tank upside down for a few minutes, the liquid will go to the top and if it is not over the part where it comes apart, you can open it upside down without losing any liquid.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Rebirth RTA it looks like.
That looks quite good overall actually :D

It's hard to tell from the angle of the pix. Is it possible that a corner of one of the coils is out too far and touching the cap?

I would say to check the tightness of the coils, but usually loose coils would make the resistance higher.

There's no way the actual resistance of those coils is .05. No big company would sell you that.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
To start, I would take it back apart and shorten the coil legs just a little. Make sure you pull them out over the airflow holes like you have it, but not out far enough to make contact with the inside of the cap/chamber. The part that goes over the coils.

Last edited:

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That may be the case, I kinda felt the coil was touching the cap when i was closing it...
Let me cut a little bit o the coil and se what happens
Very very good!
You are miles ahead of many who have just started out with rebuildables.

You thought of that yourself :D

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Your mod SHOULD tell you there is a short, but if it is just barely touching, maybe not.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok, I cut a bit of the coils and build it back up, it now reads .11 ohms like you said, instead of the .05 that was reading before.

Now...is there an average or a range of a suggested wattage for this?
EXCELLENT!

Start at about 50 and go up a little at a time, like 5 watts, until you like the vape.

EXCELLENT!

Start at about 50 and go up a little at a time, like 5 watts, until you like the vape.
Yes, what I meant was not about flavor/clouds, I meant it more in a safety manner. Should I not go more than x watts or the thing will burn/explode (yes, I know it's a very extreme term but, better be safe than sorry)

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes, what I meant was not about flavor/clouds, I meant it more in a safety manner. Should I not go more than x watts or the thing will burn/explode (yes, I know it's a very extreme term but, better be safe than sorry)
No it will not explode. No worries about that.
At .11 it won't taste burnt as long as it is wicked properly. The cotton won't catch fire until WAY over 150 watts if at all at that resistance.

You can work your way up from 50 until you like the vape to well over 100 watts if that's where you like it.

Nichrome 80 will get hot quick. Which is a good thing to most people.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Perfect!
Thank you very much! You made my day!
You bet :)

If it's good then you did it right. If you have more problems, feel free to ask more questions. Even if it is good, it is possible that as you learn more, that more precise coil placement and wicking technique can make it even better. You may never go back to regular coils :D

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Sounds like a short in the atomizer. Which would explain the burned thing.
Probably tastes metallic as well.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I have a Luxe but sure didn't know it would fire down to 0.05 ohms.

0.11 ohms for dual coil, for those tri-core N80 Claptons, is reasonable.

Good job, everybody in this thread. Nice when a plan comes together! :)

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
You've got the FIRES OF HELL rolling there, eh? I hope your tank, and your entire head, are made of fire- and temperature-resistant materials!

:giggle: it would seem that way. but i would bet $10 that you, my dear, could vape that. not hot at all. there are 3 aliens in there.
and not Cromwell aliens :teehee:. i use that when i want to chuck some clouds.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
who's Yo Daddy :bingo:. my Cylon will not run this

View attachment 154783
d3f8b9abbbe2792ca2f6d48f554bbaf8.jpg

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Dude, dude, dude, ... you need to read that post again.

Your Cylon is smarter than your Luxe :D

What the frack?! Cylon being smart? Holy shit! Battlestar Galatica tried warning us back in 1978! Have we listened? No! Now look what you gone and done, proved the Prophecy. Whoa unto you who will now walk with the freak what goes "Do do dodo de o".

We gray/grey/gr 'eh Jedi will now have our work cut out for us. And you laugh. *gasp & shakes my noggin*

Master Rahl

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I very much enjoyed reading this thread. Too little to late to be helpful but glad you got it all figured out. Keep at it. With time it becomes second nature.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Worst that will happen is one of the wires breaks, being a higher gauge (thinner wire) they can break easier then when using a thicker wire. But this happens with age, you wont have to worry about it with new coils.

Wattage depends on a few factors
1. Mainly you, how warm do you like the vaper, how much do you want to produce?
2. How quick you vape and how quick the liquid can saturate the cotton. If you find yourself easily getting dry hits then you may need to look into improving flow or reducing wattage. You're vaping faster then the cotton can wick.
3. Somewhat depends on the liquid. Some flavors (I find chocolates mostly) don't like higher temps and will give a burnt taste at higher heat.

VU Sponsors