Become a Patron!

0.4 ohm coil, but output is 0.45 ohm

Hi!

So I'm new to vaping and I cannot for the life of me find the answer to this, and mostly, I get topics about high ohm vaping.

I bought a Lite 60, haven't made any changes, and the coil is 0.4 ohm. When I vape lately though (after a week), the display tells me I'm up at 0.45 ohm. I vape at 42W. From what I can gather from this http://metro.co.uk/2017/01/23/what-is-ohms-law-and-how-can-it-keep-your-vape-from-exploding-6400343/ and then this http://www.myvaporstore.com/ohms-calculator-for-vape-safety-a/292.htm, I'm safe. The article tells me that the amps shouldn't be higher than the capacity of the battery - but I have no idea what the capacity of the battery is. When calculating 0.4 ohm to 42W, I get ~10 amps in the calculator. When I calculate 0.45 ohm, I get 9 amps in the calculator.

1) ..so that should mean I'm safer than if I land at 0.4 ohms.. or does it?
2) Where does the coil come in to play here? It says 0.4 ohms right on the coil...

Anyone with insights in laymans terms, or just a confirmation of what I've figured so far?

xpen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Welcome to the VU!
Increased coil resistance can be due to a number of factors, including loose contact in the atomizer itself and/or between mod and atomizer, and 'crud' buildup on the coil - among other things
As you've mentioned, higher resistance for the same watts means fewer ampere flowing, so if it didn't blow up before I don't see why it should now
Vape on!

PS your mod seems able to run coils from 0.15 ohm upwards, thus 0.4+ ohm should definitely qualify as safe for it (60W at 0.15 ohm would mean some 20A being pulled from the battery)

Last edited:
Welcome to the VU!
Increased coil resistance can be due to a number of factors, including loose contact in the atomizer itself and/or between mod and atomizer, and 'crud' buildup on the coil - among other things
As you've mentioned, higher resistance for the same watts means fewer ampere flowing, so if it didn't blow up before I don't see why it should now
Vape on!

PS your mod seems able to run coils from 0.15 ohm upwards, thus 0.4+ ohm should definitely qualify as safe for it

Thank you! :)

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Your mod is power-regulated. That means the resistance of the coil don't enter into it. In other words, 42W is 42W regardless of the coil. The amps flowing through the battery just depends on the battery voltage itself - the more depleted the battery, the more current the mod will try to draw.

Also, because of the battery's internal resistance, it pulls more current than what you calculated. At 42W, a typical battery that shows a 4.2V open voltage will drop to around 3.7V as the mod pulls 11.3A to maintain the power you requested.

But the truth is, it doesn't really matter. Most decent batteries are designed for 10/15A continuous and 25/30A pulses. An electronic cigarette drag is short enough to be considered a pulse. That's why many mods can deliver 75W with a single 18650.

In any case, if the battery's voltage drops too low, the firmware will stop firing and tell you "battery low" - thereby protecting the battery.

In short, stop worrying :)

Your mod is power-regulated. That means the resistance of the coil don't enter into it. In other words, 42W is 42W regardless of the coil. The amps flowing through the battery just depends on the battery voltage itself - the more depleted the battery, the more current the mod will try to draw.

Also, because of the battery's internal resistance, it pulls more current than what you calculated. At 42W, a typical battery that shows a 4.2V open voltage will drop to around 3.7V as the mod pulls 11.3A to maintain the power you requested.

But the truth is, it doesn't really matter. Most decent batteries are designed for 10/15A continuous and 25/30A pulses. An electronic cigarette drag is short enough to be considered a pulse. That's why many mods can deliver 75W with a single 18650.

In any case, if the battery's voltage drops too low, the firmware will stop firing and tell you "battery low" - thereby protecting the battery.

In short, stop worrying :)

Great! I've learned heaps more than googling for the last week. The rare moments when you go on a forum and ask for help, and you actually get explenations from people who know stuff, without it skipping the basics and demanding pre-knowledge.

VU Sponsors