Become a Patron!

0.5 or 1.5 ohm coil?

pinktulip4u

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hello everyone! I finally made my switch from smoking 1 pack a day to my Kangertech subox mini. It has only been 2 weeks and I am still trying to figure things out! I am so glad I found this wonderful forum! I have a question..I was using my 0.50 coil and when it was time to switch liquid flavor I went ahead and tried the 1.5 coil. I am a direct lung hitter and found I enjoyed the 1.5 better than .50. Is this a problem? Everything I have read shows 1.5 for MTL and .50 for DL. I have tried to find an answer..but no luck yet. When I put in the 1.5 I was like WOW! The flavor was awesome! Am I maybe doing this a** backward?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

thejman

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Haha it does sound backwards from what people normally say but it's all personal preference. Most would say .5 would be better for direct lung hits. But not to worry there's no rule against it.

pinktulip4u

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Vape what works. If you enjoy it, and your not smoking, then your doing something right!:). Welcome to VU.
Thanks so much! I have been smoking for almost 30 years, it sounds strange when I say that out loud..lol..I have tried everything to quit..even prescription meds for quitting and this is the only time I have been successful!

pinktulip4u

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Haha it does sound backwards from what people normally say but it's all personal preference. Most would say .5 would be better for direct lung hits. But not to worry there's no rule against it.
I know right! I was thinking maybe it was the juice I was using? Who knows..I just want to be sure I won't burn out the coil or something strange happens to my new setup..I am known to have bad luck..lol

Johnny101

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The 1.5 for MTL is just a suggestion Kanger put out there. If what you're doing works for you then you're good

thejman

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I know right! I was thinking maybe it was the juice I was using? Who knows..I just want to be sure I won't burn out the coil or something strange happens to my new setup..I am known to have bad luck..lol

Absolutely not. The lower the resistance on a regulated mod like yours just heats up a little bit faster I believe. So a 1.5 should theoretically burn your coil out slower. :D

I could be wrong though... but definitely nothing to worry about.

Johnny101

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Absolutely not. The lower the resistance on a regulated mod like yours just heats up a little bit faster I believe. So a 1.5 should theoretically burn your coil out slower. :D

I could be wrong though... but definitely nothing to worry about.
I think you are right

Huff-N-Stuff

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Great question, and even more importantly IMO a PROPERLY TITLED THREAD!..
I`m very new to Vaping myself and looking for answers too.
Wish the forum had a resident Electrical Engineer who could answer this type of question with more certainty (no offense intended to replys).
I found the 1.5 coil seemed to burn up quicker or didn`t last as long before having a foul taste...yrmv
It could be the question has been answered before with certainty, but I have not found it yet.
I agree with whatever works for you though.

dexschex

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Huff, what are your settings for your coils to be burning quickly or having a burnt taste?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VaporCarp

#BlackRiflesMatter
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks so much! I have been smoking for almost 30 years, it sounds strange when I say that out loud..lol..I have tried everything to quit..even prescription meds for quitting and this is the only time I have been successful!

Congrats! Keep doing what works

Huff-N-Stuff

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Huff, what are your settings for your coils to be burning quickly or having a burnt taste?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have only used one 1.5 coil that came with my Kanger Subox Mini and it had a burnt taste after two days use. I varied the wattage settings from 19-27 trying to find what worked. Only one coil tried so not the best effort in getting the 1.5 to work. I say two days but more like a day and a half, and the minimum I ever used a .5 coil was three days at the same wattage.
I think VG/PG ratio could have a part in the equation also, but like stated earlier, new to vaping and unsure of so many things..lol

pinktulip4u

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Great question, and even more importantly IMO a PROPERLY TITLED THREAD!..
I`m very new to Vaping myself and looking for answers too.
Wish the forum had a resident Electrical Engineer who could answer this type of question with more certainty (no offense intended to replys).
I found the 1.5 coil seemed to burn up quicker or didn`t last as long before having a foul taste...yrmv
It could be the question has been answered before with certainty, but I have not found it yet.
I agree with whatever works for you though.

Thanks so much! I'm learning a lot here and thankful that there are so many helpful people here! I switched out my e juice today and gave the .50 coil another try and I am running at 15.1 watts with a 3 mg nic, 22 pg/ 78 vg..the juice just looks better quality than the one I was using before..it seems ok
I think even though I have been a smoker for so long, I like the cooler vapes..

pinktulip4u

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks so much! I'm learning a lot here and thankful that there are so many helpful people here! I switched out my e juice today and gave the .50 coil another try and I am running at 15.1 watts with a 3 mg nic, 22 pg/ 78 vg..the juice just looks better quality than the one I was using before..it seems ok

I was also reading that the way you hit it could be affecting the taste and burn out of the coils..along with correct priming.. I am finding there so many different things that affect how to get a good vape..it's a learning process..

Huff-N-Stuff

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Vape On!..that is awesome..rid yourself of the stinkies!...
I learned that here..stinkies= smokes..lol..used them for years and years!

Huff-N-Stuff

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

don`t be scared to turn it up a watt or two...17-20 in the morning and heavy fire in evening 20-30...party on

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have only used one 1.5 coil that came with my Kanger Subox Mini and it had a burnt taste after two days use. I varied the wattage settings from 19-27 trying to find what worked. Only one coil tried so not the best effort in getting the 1.5 to work. I say two days but more like a day and a half, and the minimum I ever used a .5 coil was three days at the same wattage.
I think VG/PG ratio could have a part in the equation also, but like stated earlier, new to vaping and unsure of so many things..lol
Stick with the 0.5ohm coils those 1.5ohm coils are wonky at the best of times.

Flightmedic76

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It's definitely matter of personal preference, there is no right or wrong. I personally like ~.5 in my Subtank mini. Good flavor and vapor even at lower watts. I only used the 0.5 OCC coil for a few days though and the 1.2 ohm for maybe an hour (way too restrictive for me). I prefer the RBA deck. It's fairly simple to build, the airflow is much better IMO, and I don't have to pay for the replacement coils. Watch a video on YouTube and give it a whirl when you are bored one day. Everything you need came in the box. The pre-wrapped coils are roughly 0.5's. Worst case scenario is you screw up wicking it the first time or two like I did. The sheet of cotton they give you should be good for at least 5 or 6 wicks. After a couple tries you'll have it down. A word of advice, get some precision screwdrivers if you don't already have some. The one that comes with the tank will have a hard time getting the screws tight enough. If you have a good shop locally, take it up there. They should be more than willing to help you put it together.
I'm not saying you'll love using the RBA deck, but I think it's worth giving it a shot while you are still experimenting.

VU Sponsors