Become a Patron!

0.6mm kanthan cool issue

Hey all,

I've hit a brick wall in my building and could do with some advice.

All the dual coils that I've built in my tobh arty have been dual, using really think wire, very messy and end up firing at about 1ohm when each could has 7 wraps.

Because they have been uber fiddly, I bought some 0.6mm kanthan today - hoping it would be easier to work with.

I wrapped a coil over a middle size screwdriver - 4 wraps - popped it on the dna 30 thinking a thicker wire will have higher resistance and being a single cool it will probably be quite high. Oh no - 0.3 ohms.

I went to 7 wraps. 0.5 ohms.

When I fired the device at 14 watts it didn't even glow. Crank it 22 watts and after a few seconds it started to glow then I got a too hot message.

I'm absolutely baffled and it appears everything I thought I knew is wrong and I'm now rather worried I'm going to blow up the dna30 and have put an Aerotank on for now.

Any ideas folks? I was hoping for about 0.5 and some decent clouds.

I'm gutted.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
What ga is the regular kanthal?
What about twisting the flat/ribbon on the ga you have?

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
0.6mm is 24 gauge. Thicker wire has less resistance. The thicker the wire in general the hotter the vape and the slower to heat up. A larger diameter will also delay heating. With 24 gauge and 7 wraps it puts your medium diameter screw driver at just under 3mm. Fairly large.
http://coiltoy.ermeso.com/

Last edited:

B-RAD

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Crank it to 30 watts I used my vapor shark with .4 and .5 build before. Once you get them heated and squeezed together they'll work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input folks.

Going to try a narrower screwdriver tomorrow and just adjust things.

Thanks for the link lefty - really useful.

It will get there. New things always confuse me.

thanks again

Joshua Parnell

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've built on Tobh and DNA30 mods before. I normally use 24ga as well (but I mostly drip... my DNA30 is used exclusively with my KFL+ or Nautilus Mini). For me, the best wrap for a single coil was a 7/6 wrap on a 5/64" bit. That'll put you at about 0.6Ω, which the DNA30 can handle. I normally had it between 25.5W and 30W, depending on my battery level.

If you're really wanting to go for dual parallel coils in the Tobh for the same target resistance of 0.6, you need some 28ga Kanthal. 2 coils at 7/6 wraps on a 3/32" bit is perfect.

My favorite vape planning tool is Steam Engine (http://steam-engine.org) It lets you do Ohm's law to find your ideal resistance and a coil wrapping calculator that, to me, is a little more versatile than Coil Toy. There are other calculators on there, such as battery drain, mod range (for optimal resistance for your mod), and eliquid.

Last edited:

BigDaddyVape

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If you use the thinner Kanthal such as 28 gauge, use a lighter or a small torch to heat up the wire before you wrap it. This will make the wire stiff therefore making tighter wraps. I use 28 gauge 8 wraps around a 3/32 drill bit, dual coil. This puts me at around .6 even.

BigDaddyVape

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Sorry, also the more wraps you add the higher the ohm will be.

VU Sponsors