Become a Patron!

1:1 ZNA 30 clone by Robbot Tech

urby2112

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok after few days of using the zna50..: then using 18500 batts... The zna sometime refuse to fire or delay its firing once it drop to half batt. Sometimes it does fire normally at half batt without any problem..this is just getting damn frustrating in certain way. Had yet try it with 18650 batt.. Which I believe will be better. Currently using Lemo at 0.9ohms built.when is not giving me problems..it works really well with Lemo @20watts. Btw mine zna 50 doesn't come with the robbot tech sticker covering the chip.
Bro we got bad chips. Great body with a dumb mind!

urby2112

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
BTW, did or were you able to read that data card? Says there is a USB charging option and that it will fire on the battery down to 1.5V. Sounds like a Chinese hand grenade!

urby2112

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So my multimeter shows 3.6VDC and my mod battery gauge shows about 1/3 life. Drop Off is significant and when my .7 coil is fired it shows 2.4VDC output on the device which is set to 40W? 2.4 x 40W =5.3V if steam engine is correct. This thing has NO boost.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If you are running the ZNA50 clone at high watts, the 18490 can barely supply the current needed, so the chip either refuses to fire (safety protection), fires low volts, or fires when the battery "rebounds" or stabilizes after a few toots.

Use the 18650 tube and a good 20-30 amp battery.

urby2112

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Don't think so Zam, I only took it up to 40 to compare readings. Was the same at 15W which is where I live.

urby2112

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My Cloup Cana hit way harder than this with the same atty (it's a Kay so I only have to pull the cotton and it read .7 on that mod and my Hcig ohm box). It dropped sharp. I wasn't expecting big watts on a little batt. Haven't tried the 650 yet but like Nikki, I want this to work on the 500. This mod doesn't leave the house but it still needs to perform. Know what I mean?

urby2112

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I guess it might be hard to compare 500 to 650. As the Cloup ran (1) 18650 Efest 2500mah 35A, that might explain the problem. There may be something in the circuitry that recognizes mah and amps available and tailors it that way for safety. The 650 is a far more stout battery platform.
I just think it kills the look of this mod. I'll hit up one of the 650's when this 500 dies as a comparison.

Steve.h

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

Lol... Mine didn't come with any manual or data sheet!! Here is wat I discover... My zna acting dumb again.. At half batt.. So took out batt n it sort of reset.. Fire normally like a gem again at half batt... I really dunno wat to say about this chip..

Steve.h

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
18500 bro... Been using 18500 for the moment... Will try 18650 soon

AdamSenior

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm glad I have all you guys / guinea pigs lol to test these out before I spend $100 on this. I am almost positive I am going to buy the 30 version just because I don't want even a quarter of the problems you guys are having with it.

MrBowman

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
As Nikki stated, this does a "ramp up" (slightly more voltage than what is required for your wattage setting) for a couple seconds when fired to heat the coils. Maybe that is what you are seeing.

No - I mean to say that everytime I fired it at 30 watts the volts ranged from like 2.7 - 3.4 volts. The volts would stay consistent except maybe go up .1 after firing for a couple seconds. But they were not consistent to the wattage. It's more consistent now. I put a different "cloud chaser 40 amp IMR" in it and Im getting higher volts - up to 4.1 at 50 watts, but the other batterie doesn't go over about 3.2??? Also when it was jumping around a lot it would restart several times when I tried to fire. After taking the batterie out several times looking at it that stopped.

MrBowman

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ok so it's deffinitely a battery problem - I popped in a efest 35 amp 18650 and this thing is a completely different animal - it's consistant across the board and the volts seem go a lot higher! That cloud chaser battery works great in mechanical mods even better then the efest but not in this regulated mod. Ive only been playing with this battery for about any hour so I'll let you know if anything is problematic - but so far so good! Really chucks vapor!

horra

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ok so it's deffinitely a battery problem - I popped in a efest 35 amp 18650 and this thing is a completely different animal - it's consistant across the board and the volts seem go a lot higher! That cloud chaser battery works great in mechanical mods even better then the efest but not in this regulated mod. Ive only been playing with this battery for about any hour so I'll let you know if anything is problematic - but so far so good! Really chucks vapor!
loved the look of this mod not so sure now please keep the testing results coming
cheers

Chris Johnson

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
VU Vendor Employee
Member For 4 Years
All this talk about ZNA clones and I'm just sitting over here like....

2014-10-28 12.48.17.jpg

;-)

msgnyc

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Zna came in again just as I was leaving for work so grabbed 2 rdas and some batteries to mess with during down time. All batteries are fully charged. So far this thing is a disappointment and Robbot shouldn't have tried making their own 50w chipset.

My .5ohm dripper. In 650 mode is fairly accurate up to around 25ish watts with minimal voltage jumping. Then its begins putting out what almost seems like a random voltage range of 2.8-3.6v from 25w all the way up to 50w. o_O

Same results whether I use my old Panny, old Efest, brand new Efest or brand new HE2.

My 1.1ohm dripper is accurate up until 22.5w then the voltage begins jumping around aswell.

I'll see how it performs with more normal/high resistance coils when I get hope, but for now I am not impressed.

horra

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Zna came in again just as I was leaving for work so grabbed 2 rdas and some batteries to mess with during down time. All batteries are fully charged. So far this thing is a disappointment and Robbot shouldn't have tried making their own 50w chipset.

My .5ohm dripper. In 650 mode is fairly accurate up to around 25ish watts with minimal voltage jumping. Then its begins putting out what almost seems like a random voltage range of 2.8-3.6v from 25w all the way up to 50w. o_O

Same results whether I use my old Panny, old Efest, brand new Efest or brand new HE2.

My 1.1ohm dripper is accurate up until 22.5w then the voltage begins jumping around aswell.
The
I'll see how it performs with more normal/high resistance coils when I get hope, but for now I am not impressed.
Gee sound like they messed up with this chip .for the high for a clone price of these , i am disappointed and feel your pain
clouper zna is looking better all the time for half the price

Nikkita6

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Nikkita,

Did it come with the Svoe and P3 connectors?

No hun it doesn't .. but I have been meaning to ask if they plan to produce those later because I keep hearing people asking for it.

Nikkita6

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
So it begins. The "boost" on this is garbage. a .7 @ 20 watts should be putting out 3.74V. According to the display we're at 2.4V and fluctuating lower. After firing it goes to maybe 3.1 then fluctuates downward. Battery gauge still shows 3/4 and multimeter shows 3.88V left. I believe these were 10A batts but can't confirm because I've had them for a while and stopped using 500's (so I've forgot and they were unmarked). This is on the aforementioned Sanyo 18500 1100mah (pink wrapped), (don't remember the amp output on these and they are unmarked). These batts were seldom used but performed better than AW's back when I was still doing mechs (Poldis primarily). Think this may be going back for a 30W.

Nikki, can you tell us does the 30W have the spring loaded 510 (a really nice touch IMO)?

My 30W doesn't, but I think the newer 30W's do .. I think. You should email FC and ask.

Nikkita6

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
So Nikki, if I could convince Doris to let me keep this spring loaded 510 top cap would it work on the ZNA 30 version? My battery is still going but like I have posted the "boost" is def way off spec. I'm assuming the Cloupor V3 chip in the ZNA 30 is probably the same as the Cloupor V3 box mod (Cana mod from ele8vape) I sold to finance this ZNA (which was rock solid). LMK. This a bummer!

Both devices are Z2 threaded so yes it will fit ... and I love the performance of the V3 chip in the 30W, and as I said not really a fan of this 50W chip.

msgnyc

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I cleaned it up a bit more. I really wish I had an inline volt meter for this thing.

1.1ohm at 18w (my norm) it starts off great. 4.5v as it should be. With an 18500 a little more then half charged it holds at 4.5 then slowly drops to 4.2 during the vape.

@20w it says its putting out 4.7v and stays. With the half charged 18500 it says 4.4/4.5 and slowly comes down to 4.2v

@25w its reading 5.1/5.2v as it should n bounces back n forth from 5.2 to 5.0v. with the half charged 18500 its the same as before. it reads 4.4 then slowly comes down to 4.2.

@30w its now jumping to and from 5v-5.2v which while wrong... Its far better then what it was reading before. With the 18500 same again. 4.4/4.5 with a drip off to 4.2

Any higher wattage and it is no different then had I left it at 30. Almost like this is a 30w board that just happens to let you set it up to 50. Don't mean it'll go that high, but it'll let you set it that high.

Last edited:

Nikkita6

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Gee sound like they messed up with this chip .for the high for a clone price of these , i am disappointed and feel your pain
clouper zna is looking better all the time for half the price

I have to agree ... not feeling this chip, and I plan to put the upgraded top on my 30W and keep it moving.;)

Nikkita6

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Ok after few days of using the zna50..: then using 18500 batts... The zna sometime refuse to fire or delay its firing once it drop to half batt. Sometimes it does fire normally at half batt without any problem..this is just getting damn frustrating in certain way. Had yet try it with 18650 batt.. Which I believe will be better. Currently using Lemo at 0.9ohms built.when is not giving me problems..it works really well with Lemo @20watts. Btw mine zna 50 doesn't come with the robbot tech sticker covering the chip.

I still haven't used it in 18650 yet .. was going to try it but then I got received the SX Zero, and the SXmini so I didn't get to it yet. I am sure viewers will be interested in your feedback in 18650 mode.

urby2112

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Gave up on this and emailed Doris for an RMA#. I works a LITTLE better in 650 but it still only performs in the top 1/4 of the battery (Efest purple and Sonys) and then it becomes a mechanical with a pretty screen LOL. I also looks stupid in this mode and because it is side heavy is a PITA to stand up without it falling over. Will probably give the 30 a try as that V3 chip was stellar in my Cana.

MrBowman

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Do you think robbottech will come out with a better version or fix the problems with the ZNA 50 clone? My girlfriend got me this as one of my Christmas presents, and I'd hate to tell her it's its problematic all together. Rather just say it was messed and switch it out for a fixed version.

Any response about this from robbottech?

horra

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Do you think robbottech will come out with a better version or fix the problems with the ZNA 50 clone? My girlfriend got me this as one of my Christmas presents, and I'd hate to tell her it's its problematic all together. Rather just say it was messed and switch it out for a fixed version.

I hope they fix this issue
i wont be buying one and was going to untill they fix it

urby2112

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

That sucks! Great girl though, she'a a keeper. I could see mine being bad but it seems like all of us who recently got these are experiencing the same problems. I'll let you know what Doris says. I told her to send the rest of her stock back to Robbot. Maybe when Robbot inquires as to why they will address the problem. Keep you posted.

osrix

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The built is solid.. Too bad is equip with this chip.
Mine is apart here and believe me the build is terrible. all the Stainless components are great, but the internal connections are total rubbish, insulators are thin and soldering awful, even if the chip was soild which it isnt, it would have a hard time keeping stable battling through connections like this.

looking at the pics from a few coming here now, mine didnt have a holo sticker from Robbotech and no card or instruction with it. I'm not sure they would except a return in pieces or I would send it back Lol

urby2112

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Any pics of the guts osrix? I'm dying to see the internals but have to keep mine intact for the return.

MrBowman

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ok - so I removed the battery tube and took out the Allen wrench screw and added a washer to it to make better connection - VIOLA - the thing hits hard on all the battery's I've tried (efest 35a 18650, cloud chaser 40a 18650, and AW 15a 490) the higher the amps the worse the volts and the volt drop. The AW 490 is surprisingly doing the best out of the 3 batteries I've tried - it's still pushing out about 4 - 4.1 volts and it has only about 10 - 15% life left - haven't seen any drop except maybe .1 volts.

I'm going in tomorrow to replace the spring and screw with gold plated ones and I'll let you guys know if there is any difference.

Last edited:

msgnyc

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
OK, giving it a go with a different atomizer today. Veiritas single coil at 2ohm

@10w Its reading 4.4-4.5-4.4-4.5-4.4-4.5

@12w It reads 4.8-4.9-5-4.8-4.9-4.8-4.9-5 with an occasional start off at 3.8-3.9 before jumping up

@12.5 its pegged at exactly 5v n doesn't budge. So I thought hmm. Maybe its bouncing around because the wattage setting isn't a whole voltage number and its .something or other so I try 8w.

@8w it should be pegged at 4v, but nope. It starts listening to House of Pain again and starts to jump around... 3.9-4-3.9-4etc

@15w it reads 5.1-5-5.1 ect... That ain't right.
@18w its the same
@20w its the same....
@25w its the same...... o_O?

I pull the battery and put it back in. Its not even discharged a quarter of the way yet. I didn't make any other changes. @25w now its firing at 5.5v o_O?

I pull out the battery and put in a new efest and now @25w it reads 6.7v....

I give up. I can't keep messing with this thing for a full week or two. Its too finiky and inconsistent it's driving me nuts. I have no idea what made Robbot Tech think this thing was ready to ship, but all it does is sully the name they earned themselves after their phenomenal first outting with the ZNA30. You were wight from the get go Nikitra. They shouldn't have made a 50w version.

I'm gutting it tonight for the DNA40. Least the housing is flawless. Machining on my 18490/500 tube is off abit tho. Screws on smooth as butter one way and won't go all the way unless I force it the other.

Last edited:

msgnyc

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just wanted to add, while I was able to use flattop batteries out of the box, I did have to remove the spacer again in order to use 18500s and be able to screw the bottom cap on all the way. While they worked out of the box, the bottom cap did not screw on all of the way.

urby2112

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
OK, giving it a go with a different atomizer today. Veiritas single coil at 2ohm

@12w It reads 4.8-4.9-5-4.8-4.9-4.8-4.9-5 with an occasional start off at 3.8-3.9 before jumping up

@12.5 its pegged at exactly 5v n doesn't budge. So I thought hmm. Maybe its bouncing around because the wattage setting isn't a whole voltage number and its .something or other so I try 8w.

@8w it should be pegged at 4v, but nope. It starts listening to House of Pain again and starts to jump around... 3.9-4-3.9-4etc

@18w its the same
@20w its the same....

I pull the battery and put it back in. Its not even discharged a quarter of the way yet. I didn't make any other changes. @25w now its firing at 5.5v o_O?

I give up. I can't keep messing with this thing for a full week or two. Its too finiky and inconsistent it's driving me nuts. I have no idea what made Robbot Tech think this thing was ready to ship, but all it does is sully the name they earned themselves after their phenomenal first outting with the ZNA30. You were wight from the get go Nikitra. They shouldn't have made a 50w version.

I'm gutting it tonight for the DNA40. Least the housing is flawless. Machining on my 18490/500 tube is off abit tho. Screws on smooth as butter one way and won't go all the way unless I force it the other.

MrBowman

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Has anyone tried contacting robbot tech?

horra

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

@18w its the same
@20w its the same....

Sounds terrible , ya have to be disappointed with it
thanks for the voltage post very interesting .
you would think it would love the high amp 18650 batteries ,does it put out higher than 6.7 volts 25watts?.
cheers

msgnyc

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I hadn't tried contacting them.
In all honestly tho, my plans had always been to swap the board out anyways. I just wanted to see how the new board was and hopefully it would've been worth using in a custom mod. Its not tho. Lol

msgnyc

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sounds terrible , ya have to be disappointed with it
thanks for the voltage post very interesting .
you would think it would love the high amp 18650 batteries ,does it put out higher than 6.7 volts 25watts?.
cheers
Just checked. Nope. With a 2ohm coil even with a brand spanking new fully charged and never used HE2 I can't get over 6.7v. Infact, the volts start going down...

I couldn't even get it to put out a full 25w as is so sadly I wasn't very hopeful to begin with.

urby2112

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Can't seem to find a valid email. Tried Bruces' email from the YouTube vids with no luck. Tried robbotecigs.com with no luck there either.

horra

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Just checked. Nope. With a 2ohm coil even with a brand spanking new fully charged and never used HE2 I can't get over 6.7v. Infact, the volts start going down...

I couldn't even get it to put out a full 25w as is so sadly I wasn't very hopeful to begin with.

That's no good it hasn't even got the grunt of a ZNA30watt

msgnyc

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh wow...
Well, that plastic board holder was a pain in the ass to remove. Then hot glue yay! Then.... o_O
Uh..
Maybe someone should tell Robbot Tech that they really should secure the ground wire.. The way they have it its just folded over on the board, then the board is pushed down in place. The ground wire just rests on the housing that way... Wonder if this could be the main issue? Lol

Apologizes for the crappy pic, but you get the idea. Its soldered to the board then makes contact with the housing by pushing the board in place. Its not actually securely grounded to anything.
b7762f17d62198d741fe2909c8e7d2fa.jpg

horra

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Oh wow...
Well, that plastic board holder was a pain in the ass to remove. Then hot glue yay! Then.... o_O
Uh..
Maybe someone should tell Robbot Tech that they really should secure the ground wire.. The way they have it its just folded over on the board, then the board is pushed down in place. The ground wire just rests on the housing that way... Wonder if this could be the main issue? Lol

Apologizes for the crappy pic, but you get the idea. Its soldered to the board then makes contact with the housing by pushing the board in place. Its not actually securely grounded to anything.
b7762f17d62198d741fe2909c8e7d2fa.jpg
jee i hope so
might be a simple as that bad connection
like when you have to clean the contacts on a mech mod ,you know how much better they fire when clean

msgnyc

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's kindda what I'm thinking aswell. Well I'll swap in the 40 for now, then maybe later toss the 50 into my brothers broken microsmoke clone, properly ground it and see how it holds up in there.

horra

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That's kindda what I'm thinking aswell. Well I'll swap in the 40 for now, then maybe later toss the 50 into my brothers broken microsmoke clone, properly ground it and see how it holds up in there.
njce
bet the dna 40 will hammer be the ultimate zna clone buck n boost as well
cheers

MrBowman

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've been able to speak with robbot tech a couple times through Facebook but it was only about inventory and focalEcig - I shot them a message requesting if they are going to resolve the issue. No response yet. If they don't respond in a couple days I will try again.

That would be awesome if it is just a ground wire issue. I'm going to rebuild mine tomorrow with all new contacts, and if I have time, and if it's not too complicated I'll look into fully rebuilding all the guts including the ground wire.

MrBowman

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
After adding a washer under the Allen wrench screw I haven't had hardly any problems using an AW 15 amp 18490. Stayed fairly strong till it was on its last line (I'd say about 10% or less battery left) then dropped about .4 - .6 volts. It was time to change batteries anyways so that didnt bother me.

horra

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
After adding a washer under the Allen wrench screw I haven't had hardly any problems using an AW 15 amp 18490. Stayed fairly strong till it was on its last line (I'd say about 10% or less battery left) then dropped about .4 - .6 volts. It was time to change batteries anyways so that didnt bother me.
Cool yours might be soldered keep us posted
cheers

msgnyc

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Working beautifully now after the transplant. I did steal the button from the 50s firing switch as it felt better then the 40s more spongy press.

I'll put the 50w into the busted microsmoke tomorrow or tuesday cause im off and see if an actual secure grounding point makes any difference.

VU Sponsors