Become a Patron!

100% PG and Flavor Percentages

Hello I am new to the forums. I often see this site come up in my Google search results when I am researching flavors and recipes. I find it to be a very resourceful and friendly site.

If you don't mind, I have a question about flavor % in recipes: If one were to use 100% PG and no VG, would you use less flavor % than a recipe calls for or the same? From my understanding, PG holds more flavor than VG, but VG is sweet and PG is more neutral tasting. I believe most of the recipes I see use a mixed PG/VG base. I believe HIC uses a higher VG base in his recipes. I understand why people use a mixture but I am specifically curious about the flavor percentages in a 100% PG base. I made one of HIC's recipes - the Apple Pie / Marzipan one, and it had a good taste but it seemed subtle and felt lacking. So I am wondering if a sweetener is needed with an all 100% PG base or should I use less flavor % in the chance that it might be too much flavoring for an all PG base. I have tried FA Marshmallow, around 4%, as a stand alone and it is pretty noticeable and tasty in a 100% PG base. FA Fuji Apple, on the other hand, was very subtle at around 3 or 4%.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
There really isn't anything wrong with increasing a flavoring, if you find it a bit weak tasting. I mix my juices at 75 or 80% PG, just because I have a sensitivity to VG any higher than that. I typically mix recipes as they are written, unless it's a flavoring I know I need to increase/decrease, just from previous experiences with it.

We all taste things a bit differently, sometimes. Example... I find FA Fuji super strong, lol. Over time, you might find you don't need as much, and that could depend on the gear you use. That's how it went for me, at least.

Yeah that makes sense to me. I was thinking maybe I could be over-flavoring and it made the flavor fade a bit. Or that I need a sweetener because I'm not using any VG. That FA Marshmallow was pretty noticeable and I've read that is considered a sweetener. I'm still experimenting so it's just trial and error I suppose. Thank you for your reply.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Welcome to VU! :cheers:

That's the beauty of DIY, you mix your juices the way you want them. High PG users are mostly out of luck with commercial juices now, since most are 50/50 or higher VG. When I moved to 30/70 PG/VG I didn't feel the need to increase flavorings, but that's me. I couldn't imagine going super high PG though as the throat hit would probably knock me on my butt. Like @Huckleberried, I mix new recipes as written first then adjust from there.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
If you cruise the older recipes on E-Liquid Recipes site you'll see they used higher flavor percentages in the days of high pg juices. I'm guessing like them your gear will decide the flavor percentage you use. Seems the tighter the draw/higher the pg the more flavor you use.

VU Sponsors