Become a Patron!

100mg PG base turned yellow?

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've had a bottle of 100mg nic base for about a year (the time I've been doing DIY) and for a while the liquid has been yellow. Does this stuff expire? Because it doesn't have an expiration date on the bottle nor does it say to refrigerate or anything. I've had it sitting in a dark place under my desk in a room that's never above 75 degrees. I've only consumed about 3/4 of the bottle in this time, and I want to know if the rest is safe to use. It's starting to get so yellow that my liquids that usually turn out clear now have a yellow tint to them.
I got this base from ecigexpress

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It starting its early stages of oxidation. It's still fine to vape. You don't want to vape the brown colored nic. That stuff tastes terrible. The best thing to do right now is dilute it. Cut it in half to have 50mg. That will slow down the oxidation process. Or you can just keep the 100mg in the freezer. Glass bottles are the best for freezing. Make sure there's a little room for expansion if you transfer to smaller bottles.

Foggz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would refrigerate the majority of your NIC - Heat / Light / Air will all degrade it. When you get NIC, most will portion it out into smaller glass bottles keeping in mind to fill as close to the top as possible (leaving as little air as you can) then freezing most (it won't freeze solid) and refrigerate the bottle you are working from.

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Damn - I always did the other way.. thinking it would contract a bit as there is no water...
I had read that years ago. From Kurt the Chemist. Hell, I don't know if its actually true. But I have nic in the freezer for over 4 years. Still looks like in great shape so far.

Foggz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I had read that years ago. From Kurt the Chemist. Hell, I don't know if its actually true. But I have nic in the freezer for over 4 years. Still looks like in great shape so far.

cool (pun intended) - well in either case , RJ - future ref at least.. throw that stuff in the freezer ;p

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks everybody. Good thing I only got a 120ml bottle of it... Next time I get a bottle I'll refrigerate it at the very least.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Damn - I always did the other way.. thinking it would contract a bit as there is no water...

Your way is correct, it won't expand, because it never does actually freeze. Leaving as little air as possible is the best way. Some people inject argon gas to remove what little O2 is in there, but I don't have a chem lab here, I just fill all the way to the bottom of the threads.

Andria

Foggz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Your way is correct, it won't expand, because it never does actually freeze. Leaving as little air as possible is the best way. Some people inject argon gas to remove what little O2 is in there, but I don't have a chem lab here, I just fill all the way to the bottom of the threads.

http://amazon.com/Private-Preserve-True-1026/dp/B001AS4NCM

bottom of the threads .. ditto! - did find the above tho, which I thought was interesting.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

VU Sponsors