18650: how low is a safe discharge?

Barkt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I apologize if this is in the wrong section, but it seemed like a question mech users would be most familiar with.

I only recently started using a mech as my main device and I'm a little concerned about battery safety, specifically how low can a battery drain before its damaging to the cell.

I know the general rule of thumb is 3.6-3.7v and its time to change, and for the first while I was pretty good about guessing that range and changing when out on the go.

The problem is as I think I was basing my guess on temperature. So as long as I kept my Doge on with the same .4 ohm build, I immediately knew when it was time to change the battery because of how cool the Vape got. But now, if I switch builds, whether to a different resistance or just a smaller chambered atty lower airflow that feels warmer, I seem to be overshooting the mark. Today for example when I switched batteries I had drained to 3.3v. This is as low as I've ever gotten.

So what is the basic consensus on how low remains safe? I've seen a wide range online and even the guy at my shop (who generally has been full of nothing but good info) told me that you're not really in a dangerous range until about 2.8, which seems ludicrous. I plan on buying a 2in1 ohm reader that I can screw my mod on to to check voltage when I'm on the go anyway, but it would be nice to know if i need to be way more careful and change my habits immediately or if I'm still relatively safe

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I know on my mech, when I press the fire button the led is blue and means the battery is anywhere from 3.6-4.2v. However after a day or so of use the light will turn orange and that means it is less than 3.5 volts. This is usually when I put the 18650 on the charger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I know that if you recharge before they get too low (such as at 3.6V) then they'll last longer and their discharge rate (amps they can handle) won't deteriorate as quickly. That's about all I know, though :(

With my mechs, I recharge when the vape starts getting weaker than I like.

NemesisVaper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Each battery will have a specific spec regarding end voltage. The HE2 data sheet tests have LG stop the test at 2V and for the HE4 it's 2.5v. That spec would be under load of course, resting voltage would see the batterybrecover slightly.

Nothing I've read here regarding battery voltages is dangerous. As said, charging at higher voltages increases battery longevity or number of recharges because you're not fully cycling the cell. Discharge cycle life is based on a complete discharge from 4.2 to whatever end voltage the manufacturer.suggests.

VU Sponsors