Become a Patron!

18650 negative got dented

Hi, I have a rx200 that I dropped earlier today and one battery fell out and has no cosmetic damage, but the other 2 batteries that stayed inside now have a small dent in the middle of the negative sides. Is this still safe to use/charge? I'll be using my noisy cricket from now on cause I'm kinda iffy on this one :huh:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    507.9 KB · Views: 77

STUvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'd be more iffy with the noisy cricket (pipe bombs) lol.. than the RX200, but Ive got 9 x LG HG2 's which I rotate between my RX200 and 200S and all of which have these dents ..lol..ive dropped my old RX more times than a ho's drawers and yes the dents do get quite visible after the first10 drops. I still use mine without any probs although I dont know if this would be great advice to give someone else. Im quite sure there are 1000,s of vapers out there with the exact same Rx200 dents in their batteries and still using them.

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I wouldn't use them on any device. Those dents will just cause arcing.

STUvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I wouldn't use them on any device. Those dents will just cause arcing.
I only use then in my RX's where the small dents are the same shape as the contacts so minimal arcing.. I know loads of people who've dropped RX's and have exact same dents and still using them .. Like I said its probably poor advice telling someone else its safe but been using them that way since the first RX's were introduced with no probs.

STUvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
if they were arcing would they not be showing some scorching on the bottom after a lot of use that way ??

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I only use then in my RX's where the small dents are the same shape as the contacts so minimal arcing.. I know loads of people who've dropped RX's and have exact same dents and still using them .. Like I said its probably poor advice telling someone else its safe but been using them that way since the first RX's were introduced with no probs.
3 batteries around 18 bucks. Billy Joe Jimbob's teeth and lips.. Priceless ! :D

STUvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
lol..I guess thats true.. But if I was to go buying batteries every time Ive dropped that damn thing I'd be homeless although I do see where you are coming from. I know these mods are cheaper than crack ho's but I can vouch for their longevity (if thats how it spelled). Great beater mods but they do damage batteries in this way.

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
lol..I guess thats true.. But if I was to go buying batteries every time Ive dropped that damn thing I'd be homeless although I do see where you are coming from. I know these mods are cheaper than crack ho's but I can vouch for their longevity (if thats how it spelled). Great beater mods but they do damage batteries in this way.
Grab a silicone sleeve if you don't have one. I have butter fingers too bro !

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I think just about all my batteries have the same sort of denting on the negative terminal of them...never really caused any issues but it could cause some mods not to make a connection since they may not make contact with the contact.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I was under the impression that the protection board was in the bottom. Those are not little dents in my opinion these are news stories in the near future.

Just my opinion and I do not claim to be a battery expert...............

STUvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yeah I have a carbon fiber effect jwrap on the old one which gives it a bit more grip with the pattern being raised and kinda criss crossed. Thats the one that was dropped everywhere and thats why I got the jwrap to hide all the paint chips ( hardly used anymore), but the 200S is kinda new and not been dropped yet at all, So Im gonna need to get something sorted out for that, Thanks.

STUvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I think just about all my batteries have the same sort of denting on the negative terminal of them...never really caused any issues but it could cause some mods not to make a connection since they may not make contact with the contact.
yep, thats why I just use them In my 200 and 200S. The dents are very comon for these mods.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I was under the impression that the protection board was in the bottom. Those are not little dents in my opinion these are news stories in the near future.

Just my opinion and I do not claim to be a battery expert...............
Many batteries dont have "protection circuitry" and most of the either have a extra bump on the outside near the top which shows where its located on them, the other that have them on the bottom will have a "longer looking case".

HigC3.jpg

Ive tore a few of my batteries completely apart, though dangerous and I dont advocate it but I didnt see anything other then the Foil/electrodes and some have the PTC...Every battery is diffrerent and cheaper cells some times even have smaller cells inside of them.

Good read here:
https://batterybro.com/blogs/18650-...-battery-safety-101-anatomy-ptc-vs-pcb-vs-cid
http://lygte-info.dk/info/batteryDisassembly5000mAh UK.html

I'd be more iffy with the noisy cricket (pipe bombs) lol.. than the RX200, but Ive got 9 x LG HG2 's which I rotate between my RX200 and 200S and all of which have these dents ..lol..ive dropped my old RX more times than a ho's drawers and yes the dents do get quite visible after the first10 drops. I still use mine without any probs although I dont know if this would be great advice to give someone else. Im quite sure there are 1000,s of vapers out there with the exact same Rx200 dents in their batteries and still using them.
Haha. I said fuck it and used my RX200. I'm heading to the shop this weekend and picking up some new 25r's. As for the cricket, i've had it for like 4 months now and it's never been on the 10:00 news.. even got the safety upgrade kit for it

VU Sponsors