Become a Patron!

1st time vaping questions...

wert

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi.

I posted this question in the wrong place earlier so I'll pop it here were it belongs.

I'm brand spankin new to the vape world.

I want to know how you work out the wattage to set the vaporizer to for a set coil?

Also I smoke 12mg tobacco. Should I add 12 or 6mg/ml to my juice?

Lastly. I have a joyetech egrip 2 and a smok tfv8 big baby I really want to get it up and running soon as I'm quiting the smokes the first minute of 2017 and need to be versed enough with the instrument to play it correctly so.
Can someone tell me what wattage setting I should set the egrip to to fire the coils supplied with big baby? Just to get me going?

Big thanks and really appreciate any help.

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Short answer on wattage: start low and turn it up 3 watts at a time until you like the vape. Start at like 20 watts ( will likely end up a bit higher than that, but not necessarily)and work your way up.

You will know if you need to adjust wattage. Too low will not produce a satisfying vape. Too high will either taste burnt or just hit too hard for your preference. Very subjective and really only you can decide, through trial and error, where you wanna be for wattage.

Really depends on which coils you have with your big baby. But if, for example, you have the coil rated for 35 to 45 watts, start a ways below the lowest range (20w) and work your way up til satisfied.

Would not use 12mg juice in there. Maybe 8mg at most. 12 mg juice is more suited to pen-style vapes running much lower wattage than will even be useable with the big baby. If u have 6mg, try that.

Going from smokes to vaping, the people I have helped get set up to get started needed the airflow closed way down (like 1/4 open or less) and start about 20w.

wert

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks BKTOAD.

Sounds easy enough. I have a nic base on the way so I'm flexible as to how much I add to the juice. I'll mix up 10ml at 8mg/ml and see how it goes from there.

The Joyetech unit has temp control... how do we know what to set this on? I can staight out say I prefer cooler stuff rather than warm. So to keep it as cool as posible what should I do?

Thanks in advance guys n gals!

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Need special coils to run temp control. Stick to wattage mode for now. Read up on temp control.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You can't use temp control with the baby beast coils they are for power mode. You can build TC coils for the RBA section.
I use Stainless Steel but Titanium or Nickel are also TC wires.You can use SS in power mode also.

I use 40 watts with the Q2 coils. Coils have a wattage range printed on them but in Smok's case there a bit high. Always start low and work up until you get a good vape.

wert

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks guys.

I bought ss for the rba too! Bonus it works in tc mode. Beginers luck.

Reign

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I like the Q2's @45-50 watts, the X4's @ 55-60, and the quad cores about the same as the X4's maybe even up a few watts. I just ignore what's printed on them and vape where I enjoy them so your wattage may vary. And congrats on making the switch to a healthier alternative.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Like Angrygod50 said, the coils have recommended wattages printed on them. The ones I've used tend to work best at the lower end of those wattages. More airflow will keep the vapor cool at those settings, too.

Just received my Baby rba, and haven't played with it yet, so dunno if the included coils are ss. The rba itself is ss, but that doesn't mean you automatically use it in TC. The coil wire needs to be SS, Ni, or Ti. I don't know if that's what you're thinking or not. Just throwing it out there.

I had a smok nano 80watt tc, with a baby beast tank and ran the quad coils at 60 watt. absolutely loved my set up. I have currently just upgraded to a Smok Alien 220 watt with a tfv8 cloud beast tank. I have never used a rba before because ive just been so pleased with the coils. Would it be something worth trying?

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I had a smok nano 80watt tc, with a baby beast tank and ran the quad coils at 60 watt. absolutely loved my set up. I have currently just upgraded to a Smok Alien 220 watt with a tfv8 cloud beast tank. I have never used a rba before because ive just been so pleased with the coils. Would it be something worth trying?
The rba goes between 10-15 bucks, so I figured, "why not?". Still waiting for one of my stock coils to give up so I can try the rba. The current ones don't seem to wanna quit. LOL

Whiskeywarrior

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Definitely worth giving it a whirl. I liked the rba better than the premade coils.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
2 things to remember. Wattage and airflow. Wattage is how hot the coil get, airflow cools the coil and get vapor into you. The more air flow, the more vapor you get.
Now, since you are A quitting smoking and B new to vaping and C already have the mod and tank.. I suggest low wattage, just enough to make vapor, and a very low air flow. Just enough to make you suck on the drip tip. (knobby thing on top where your mouth goes).
Ideally, you want to draw on it just like a cigarette and increase the airflow and wattage later as you get used to it. Maybe go through your 12mg juice at low watts and low air, then switch to a 6mg or 3mg once you are used to vaping vapor and not smoking smoke. Oh, and you WILL cough for your first few hits, until your lungs get used to something new. Just like when you first started smoking. Don't worry, that passes quickly.

lol Now if i were an ass... I would tell you to crank er up and go for it.. and get your wife to take pictures and post them.. LOL.. But no, wives are cruel and they have no conscience about laughing at you as vapor shoots out your nose mouth and ears.
(a youtube video would probably go viral)

But seriously, start as low as possible and work your way up until you are puffing like you do a cigarette and getting a decent vape. That puffing is fairly important when quitting, since it simulates puffing a cigarette and work great first thing in the morning, with coffee, after meals, at break time, etc, when you normally light up from habit.

VU Sponsors