Become a Patron!

2 new studies on e-cig

murmeldeier

Member For 3 Years
The first one, performed by Hugo Destaillats, PhD, a chemist in the Indoor Environment Group at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab found 31 potentially toxic substances in the vapors, including two not previously detected: propylene oxide in the e-liquids and glycidol in the vapors

https://scopeblog.stanford.edu/2018...t-additional-study-needed-on-e-cigarette-use/

And the second one, by Dr John RichieProfessor of Public Health Sciences & PharmacologyPenn State College of Medicine analyzed the formation of free radicals; some flavours seem to increase free radicals while others do have the opposite effect.

https://www.news-medical.net/news/2...rmation-in-Electronic-Cigarette-Aerosols.aspx

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
So I can't help but notice that you only post to put out links to shilly type "science" against vaping :cuss2:

choderfett

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
All I get is.. “blah, blah blah, blah, blah blah blah...blah”
Same crap that articles notated before, yet no conclusive evidence is produced and concludes that more research needs to be done..
Good work so far I guess but tell me when you get something to actually report?

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
All I get is.. “blah, blah blah, blah, blah blah blah...blah”
Same crap that articles notated before, yet no conclusive evidence is produced and concludes that more research needs to be done..
Good work so far I guess but tell me when you get something to actually report?

No shit - even our old nemesis - the American Cancer Society - is officially advising doctors to encourage people to vape if they can't quit cigarettes for crying out loud

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Why is vapor associated with aerosols. Because aerosol sounds environmentally bad.
I thought aerosol needed to have a propellant, or it wouldn't be aerosol. Is my pot of boiling pasta an aerosol?

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Why is vapor associated with aerosols. Because aerosol sounds environmentally bad.
I thought aerosol needed to have a propellant, or it wouldn't be aerosol. Is my pot of boiling pasta an aerosol?

In everyday English, aerosol is typically defined as mist or spray and is associated with propellants.

In chemistry, aerosol is defined as: a colloidal suspension of particles dispersed in air or gas.

I think anti-vaping scientists like to use the word because it conjures up images of folks inhaling Lysol or WD40 :confused:

murmeldeier

Member For 3 Years
I am not at all against vaping (in fact I am vaping for 8 years and it did help me quit smoking); I am just concerned by all those negative (and apparently serious) studies.

Honestly I do not really see where this is "bad" or "crap" science as it seems the experiments have been done by professionals, but if you think this is not interesting at all or the results and conclusions are insignificant and perhaps totally distorted, please accept my apologies for my post.

Last edited:

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Researchers' ability to detect trace quantities of any particular substance seems to exceed their ability to make a judgement whether those small quantities pose any hazard whatsoever. Always remember, whether something is "toxic" is determined not by its presence, but by its dose.

They will always conclude that more research is needed. If they come out and say, "It's a settled matter" then their gravy train comes to an end.

Last edited:

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
"Destaillats and his colleagues have studied the complex chemical composition of vaping aerosols, the cloud of particles the devices emit. In one study, they quantified emissions from three e-liquids with various vaporizers, battery power settings and vaping habits — ranging from heavy to low puff duration and frequency.

The researchers found 31 potentially toxic substances in the vapors, including two not previously detected: propylene oxide in the e-liquids and glycidol in the vapors. Both of these compounds are considered probable carcinogens. They also determined that the base fluids used in vaping, propylene glycol and glycerin, can decompose when heated to produce acrolein, a powerful irritant.

However, the level of these toxins varied depending on the type of e-cigarette and how it was operated. For instance, toxic emissions rates were higher for e-cigarettes with a single heating coil compared to ones with double coils. Toxin levels also increased with the voltage used to power the device. And they rose with repeated use, presumably due to a buildup of residue within the device."

None of this is unknown to vapers.
We know if you fire a CE4 at 180 watts you will cause "vaping" to produce all kinds of crazy chemicals :

"propylene glycol and glycerin, can decompose when overheated to produce acrolein, a powerful irritant."

That makes the above quote more truthful

"various vaporizers, battery power settings and vaping habits — ranging from heavy to low puff duration and frequency."

Let me guess. They found the 31 potentially toxic substances in the vapors when the settings were maxed out and the puff duration was set to "long as fuck"?

Also, What is a potentially toxic substance anyway???
Water could be considered a potentially toxic substance because it IS toxic if you drink 10 gallons of it in one day.
So this means they found 31 chemicals in TOTAL since EVERYTHING is a "potentially toxic substance"

From Wikipedia: "propylene oxide"

Uses[edit]
Between 60 and 70% of all propylene oxide is converted to polyether polyols by the process called alkoxylation.[11] These polyols are building blocks in the production of polyurethane plastics.[12] About 20% of propylene oxide is hydrolyzed into propylene glycol, via a process which is accelerated by acid or base catalysis. Other major products are polypropylene glycol, propylene glycol ethers, and propylene carbonate.

Gee, I wonder why they found propylene oxide?

Also, Who wants to bet that they preformed the "burn the fuck out of it" test AFTER they let the "buildup of residue within the device." happen???

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
We know if you fire a CE4 at 180 watts you will cause "vaping" to produce all kinds of crazy chemicals :
Meh, even 18 watts is enough to make a CE4 burn your juice.

What's annoying is that these so-called "scientists" keep citing voltage. Most of them don't seem to have realized that voltage, or even wattage isn't the critical factor; coil temperature is, and coil temperature is influenced by a whole lot of factors besides just voltage.

What is a potentially toxic substance anyway???
Pretty much anything is "potentially toxic", but whether it's actually toxic depends on the dose.

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
There are much more real things to be concerned with that really will kill you (IMO), shorten your life, make you retarded or cause your children to have an early grave. I am not saying vaping is entirely safe but it is definitely safer than things people don't really think about much (if at all).

If you really want something to be afraid of read about superfund sites. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Superfund_sites

Then you have things actually killing people in large quantities.
Air Pollution
Pesticides
Hormones
Toxic water
Food Toxicity
Pharmaceuticals
Big Tobacco
Alchohol
Street Drugs

The list goes on.

All of these things are really killing people and is not at all speculative like the questionable science in your provided articles. If you are that worried about it, quit vaping. That will eliminate all of its risks for you.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Meh, I'll get concerned if the Royal Collage of Physicians backs one of these so called tests that shows Vaping as harmful. I'm perfectly fine with their statement that Vaping is at least 95% safer than Smoking.

But hey, what would they know? They're only the top Medical Science Organization in the world that have only been around 500 years.

VU Sponsors