Become a Patron!

21700 safe in charger?

GorGon27

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I only do it with very high capacity batteries and have still gotten over 500 recharges. That satisfies me for $8 a battery. Sure they might last 1000 recharges at 500ma but it is not that big a deal to me. I figure if the battery is over 3000mah and 25A it can handle 2A and they all actually say maximum 4A in the spec sheets. They never get over 27c.

GorGon27

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I tried charging at 3amps. The battery was not hot neither was the charger. the chargers display got thermal distortion and I smelled burning. should I now discard that battery? Stupid I did not listen I know.

Edit: actually, need to junk charger too? I believe the resistance in the battery overheated the charger. Nothing was very warm let alone hot but smelled burning and chargers screen was smeared on LCD. Everything fine now but do not know if I just created a dangerous situation?

Edit2: The battery smells slightly burnt. Will recycle that one.

Last edited:

tejas240

Member For 2 Years
2 amps it's ok.... But instead of 400-500 recharge cycles on the cells you get 250

It just fries the long life of the battery...

Like a cell phone..... Let it drop to 10% and fully charge it every night and you get years of balanced battery life...... Charge it all the time or at 70% charge and all you are doing is killing the Li-ion battery life....

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I've heard the opposite, today's lion batteries do not like to be drained down that low and then recharged. They are happy when you don't let them get too low. That's how I've charged my cell phones for years. My wife and kids let them drain down real low and then charge them, but they can't understand why my phone battery last much longer than their's, LOL.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I've heard the opposite, today's lion batteries do not like to be drained down that low and then recharged. They are happy when you don't let them get too low. That's how I've charged my cell phones for years. My wife and kids let them drain down real low and then charge them, but they can't understand why my phone battery last much longer than their's, LOL.
Yeah they don't like to be drained low and they also don't like to be charged to 100% either, but still nevertheless the main enemy is high temperature.

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
To me low voltage is 3.5 Volts....

GorGon27

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The DNA75C discharges them to 2.97V! Probably to make up for it's inefficiency. It also depends where the manufacturer set it, notwithstanding setting it yourself. I have found no detriment to the large batteries it takes. 26650 and 21700 are rather robust. Even a 3000MAH 18650 may handle it repeatedly. That is a far cry from 3.5V! If it was set to 3.5V the batteries would last anyone 1/2 hour at best. There fault for making such an inefficient chip. They could have done much better. Indeed it is a buck/boost but it is way off the 250C's 98% efficiency. YIHI is also buck/boost and is much more efficient. I am just guessing this is why they run it so low. Much lower and some chargers would refuse to charge it.

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Golisi S6 charger handles all the batteries I have like a boss. Its my favorite charger right now and I plan to get 2 more to replace a couple of Nitecore that have served me faithfully. Golisi makes damn good chargers. Xtar is another I have been enjoying, use it mostly in the car though.

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Most chargers are all made by the same manufacturer....

I checked all of my Xtar, my efest Luc, and my Miboxer all made by Shen Zhen......

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The DNA75C discharges them to 2.97V! Probably to make up for it's inefficiency. It also depends where the manufacturer set it, notwithstanding setting it yourself. I have found no detriment to the large batteries it takes. 26650 and 21700 are rather robust. Even a 3000MAH 18650 may handle it repeatedly. That is a far cry from 3.5V! If it was set to 3.5V the batteries would last anyone 1/2 hour at best. There fault for making such an inefficient chip. They could have done much better. Indeed it is a buck/boost but it is way off the 250C's 98% efficiency. YIHI is also buck/boost and is much more efficient. I am just guessing this is why they run it so low. Much lower and some chargers would refuse to charge it.
I usually get a check battery on my DNA 75 c at around 3.5V......

You can take more Vapes and take it to empty 3.0v.......

I charge them immediately with the first warning.....

GorGon27

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I thought Shen Zen is a state in China? I have no clue but that is what I thought. It seems most Chinese electronics say that. Since in China they group certain types of industry to the same area.

GorGon27

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Like I said but city not state. It is not a brand but a city. Almost all Chinese electronics come from there. The S6 seems to be a good charger. Easily fits 21700 and 26650. I like all the different display modes like MAH.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Like I said but city not state. It is not a brand but a city. Almost all Chinese electronics come from there. The S6 seems to be a good charger. Easily fits 21700 and 26650. I like all the different display modes like MAH.
The Golisi S6 seems to be a good choice if you must have 6 bays, I agree, but 21700 is definitely not a remarkably easy fit, as there is still only 1.5mm of extra spacing there so you still have to kind of wiggle the batteries out, thereby causing the negative (bottom) terminal of the 21700 battery to be scratched up, further and further each time when you take it out of the charger:

DSC_1528.jpg

By comparison, 21700 in the Nitecore UMS4 gives you 7.8mm of extra spacing:

DSC_4313.jpg

So basically, you have to take lygte-info.dk reviews with a grain of salt, as the UMS4 can handle LiFePO4 batteries such as the A123 systems ANR26650M1-B batteries, that I own and use in my Vapergate The 99 stacked tube mech mod, whereas the S6 can not, just to name yet another example reason of why the final score he gave the UMS4 does not appear to be very well motivated in the end, nor even all that accurate IMO... amateur-ish, and in fact rather plainly biased also in addition to that.

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
The Golisi S6 seems to be a good choice if you must have 6 bays, I agree, but 21700 is definitely not a remarkably easy fit, as there is still only 1.5mm of extra spacing there so you still have to kind of wiggle the batteries out, thereby causing the negative (bottom) terminal of the 21700 battery to be scratched up, further and further each time when you take it out of the charger:

DSC_1528.jpg

By comparison, 21700 in the Nitecore UMS4 gives you 7.8mm of extra spacing:

DSC_4313.jpg

So basically, you have to take lygte-info.dk reviews with a grain of salt, as the UMS4 can handle LiFePO4 batteries such as the A123 systems ANR26650M1-B batteries, that I own and use in my Vapergate The 99 stacked tube mech mod, whereas the S6 can not, just to name yet another example reason of why the final score he gave the UMS4 does not appear to be very well motivated in the end, nor even all that accurate IMO... amateur-ish, and in fact rather plainly biased also in addition to that.

I have had 0 scarring of the wraps from the charger and its not unusual to have 6 X 21700 batteries in that thing on a daily basis. Just speaking from my experience and the spring loaded slides on the Golisi are infinitely smoother than the nitecore chargers.

GorGon27

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It is a heck of a lot bigger than LUC! I do not understand the MAH meter though. How much it has charged or total capacity? It cannot possibly be total capacity. That would be feasibly impossible to calculate while charging it. It is fine because screw on battery caps on Stabwood Mods trash the negative terminal anyways. I hope that does not make them unsafe but all have small dent in them from that.

GorGon27

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I do not think they make Q2 anymore? That does have plenty of room. Good option just for 21700 if they still make it. Does not matter as I said though. The battery caps on my Mods trash the negative terminal anyways. Carbon fiber one is one you rewrapped? Even LUC did not rip the sleeves but it is honestly too tight. Folomov was junk. I strongly do not recommend that one. It obviously does not have thermal shutdown either. Besides a pain to use may be dangerous. The S6 is fine so far but only had it Two days. It got great reviews on Amazon. Only the few average jerks broke it. In fact rarely do things have that many 5 star reviews so should be good. Probably should not charge at 2A but I have no problems. 3A is asking for trouble though IMO.

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I do not think they make Q2 anymore? That does have plenty of room. Good option just for 21700 if they still make it. Does not matter as I said though. The battery caps on my Mods trash the negative terminal anyways. Carbon fiber one is one you rewrapped? Even LUC did not rip the sleeves but it is honestly too tight. Folomov was junk. I strongly do not recommend that one. It obviously does not have thermal shutdown either. Besides a pain to use may be dangerous. The S6 is fine so far but only had it Two days. It got great reviews on Amazon. Only the few average jerks broke it. In fact rarely do things have that many 5 star reviews so should be good. Probably should not charge at 2A but I have no problems. 3A is asking for trouble though IMO.
I like it because it takes anything and nice and small to throw in a bag for travel..... And it's crystal clear.... You see the guts.....

Yeah I wrap them to look cool even though you can't see it in the mod....ha ha

GorGon27

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You are too cool Manny! I am not being sarcastic I really mean that. I don't think you can get that one anymore? The most important thing to me is not a chargers ability but it's safety features. The Folomov besides being a PITA was obviously not safe. The S6 says right on the box it has all the good safety features. Of course anything can fail I do not sit and watch them but there is a commercial. monitored Photoelectric Smoke detector in the room. Even if it "just" vented it would set that off. That is exactly the reason I vape at 15W. FPD already fined me $1,000. Plus if I am a jerk about it maybe they won't even come anymore! I value Fire, Police ETC. They do a very dangerous job to help other people. So no reason to make them dislike you.

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You are too cool Manny! I am not being sarcastic I really mean that. I don't think you can get that one anymore? The most important thing to me is not a chargers ability but it's safety features. The Folomov besides being a PITA was obviously not safe. The S6 says right on the box it has all the good safety features. Of course anything can fail I do not sit and watch them but there is a commercial. monitored Photoelectric Smoke detector in the room. Even if it "just" vented it would set that off. That is exactly the reason I vape at 15W. FPD already fined me $1,000. Plus if I am a jerk about it maybe they won't even come anymore! I value Fire, Police ETC. They do a very dangerous job to help other people. So no reason to make them dislike you.
Smoke detectors and CO detectors also have been disconnected here, only the hanging frame is there.....

We wouldn't want to set off the fire sprinkler system off

GorGon27

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
We have sprinklers too. That was important to me when we had the home built. Most residential homes do not have sprinklers. Manny, I cannot believe you of all people defeated smokies? I am sure you have inspected a fire? I would strongly advise anyone against doing that. Not only is it not legal it is downright dangerous. Those things may very well save your life one day! Early warning increases chances of surviving a major fire by 90%. It is a big deal to me. Shit I could not even climb a ladder anyways LOL. I guess there are many good chargers but you folks advised me to get the S6 so I did. No complaints so far. Heck even if it breaks one day it was 29 bucks who cares. So long as it never catastrophically fails! Like I once said here China Man could care less if he inadvertently kills American man HAHA. It seems nowdays UL, CE will stamp anything. I have received Chinese products I would not dare plug in. Although most residential smokies are chemical based this should not even set them off unless you fill entire home with vapor so thick you could cut it with a knife. I would urge anyone to keep them since they should not go off from this anyways. Unless they are photoelectric but very few homes have that. For one thing they are hard wired, monitored and have a large central battery backup for all of them. We have smart home full high end system but heck if I can work most of it. Was too cold and could not even figure out how to raise heat. Same reason I cannot post darn photos here. I am not stupid, just past my prime.

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
We have sprinklers too. That was important to me when we had the home built. Most residential homes do not have sprinklers. Manny, I cannot believe you of all people defeated smokies? I am sure you have inspected a fire? I would strongly advise anyone against doing that. Not only is it not legal it is downright dangerous. Those things may very well save your life one day! Early warning increases chances of surviving a major fire by 90%. It is a big deal to me. Shit I could not even climb a ladder anyways LOL. I guess there are many good chargers but you folks advised me to get the S6 so I did. No complaints so far. Heck even if it breaks one day it was 29 bucks who cares. So long as it never catastrophically fails! Like I once said here China Man could care less if he inadvertently kills American man HAHA. It seems nowdays UL, CE will stamp anything. I have received Chinese products I would not dare plug in. Although most residential smokies are chemical based this should not even set them off unless you fill entire home with vapor so thick you could cut it with a knife. I would urge anyone to keep them since they should not go off from this anyways. Unless they are photoelectric but very few homes have that. For one thing they are hard wired, monitored and have a large central battery backup for all of them. We have smart home full high end system but heck if I can work most of it. Was too cold and could not even figure out how to raise heat. Same reason I cannot post darn photos here. I am not stupid, just past my prime.
Make sure they get replaced every (10) years..... And I have inspected homes and commercial buildings that had structural damage from fires caused in the 1940's and they don't disclose it in the disclosure agreement .......

GorGon27

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It is against the law not to disclose any damage but as you know people often don't. Photo electric detectors never need to be replaced. that is the chemical ones. I do replace Co units every ten years but they signal EOl anyways. That stuff is very serious to me. these furnaces are 99+ effiency and have zero emissions, plus vented outdoors. It should be to everyone but unfortunately it is often last thing people think about. I have seen people with 30 year old smokies. They are effectively useless than. Plus many people do not replace batteries. Here the main batteries last 30 years. They are SLA batteries trickle charged. It is the size of 8 car batteries. They cover everything from smokies to sump pumps if power failure. Although have 105KVA generator anyways. It powers the entire home. There is another generator on the barns and Arena. If they run out of diesel, natural gas takes over. I am inspected by multiple agencies due to exotic animals and underground fuel tanks plus waste disposal.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have had 0 scarring of the wraps from the charger and its not unusual to have 6 X 21700 batteries in that thing on a daily basis. Just speaking from my experience and the spring loaded slides on the Golisi are infinitely smoother than the nitecore chargers.
I wasn't talking about the wraps, as I already know that the wraps don't rub against the charger. The spring loaded slides on my Nitecore NEW i4 are infinitely smooth (unlike on my Nitecore D4) so that also isn't the problem... instead, it's the fact that the negative (bottom) terminal of the battery rubs against the little humps that are part of the spring loaded slides (i.e. the contacts on them), and, in this regard the Golisi S6 still isn't in any way an improvement over the Nitecore NEW i4, unlike the Nitecore UMS4, as the latter allows you to pull the battery a lot farther towards you before you tilt the positive end of the battery up so that the negative end hinges on this little hump (as opposed to rubs against it).

VU Sponsors