Become a Patron!

.26 vs. .18

Jackvape

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Will a .18 build eat a lot more battery then a .26. 7 wraps of n80 fires as quick as 8 wraps of n90 and produces the same amount of vapor and flavor. The n80 ohms out at .26 which sounds better to me but does it make that much difference in battery life?

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
With a regulated mod the output voltage varies with varying resistance (the chip inside the mod uses both Ohm's law and Watt's law to calculate the output voltage, based on the wattage you set on the mod and the resistance that it measures), and, how the efficiency of a regulated mod varies with varying voltage is dependent of the mod in question. User experience is the easiest best way to find out how it behaves, if you don't own a testing rig to hook the mod up to, but 8 wraps gives more total surface area so logically if you prefer you can decide to increase the wattage a bit to put that increased surface area to proper use, i.e. instead of just assuming both coil builds necessarily vape the same.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So basically what I said....................
I disagree. You said the ohms don't really affect battery life [on a regulated mod] whereas I said they factually can do so, depending on the mod in question.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Wattage is wattage the MOD in question will always supply the most volts depending on amount of cells.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Wattage is wattage. But a regulated mod consumes part of the wattage to power itself, the electronic components inside it (the buck circuit or boost circuit or buck/boost circuit being the typical biggest consumer in the vast majority of cases).

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The efficiency of a regulated mod is part dependent of the electronics inside, part dependent of the voltage. If the resistance is changed by choosing a different coil build, then the mod automatically adapts to this by supplying a different voltage, visibly, shown on the display of the mod.

The output voltage is not to be confused with the input voltage. The input voltage is the voltage that the board receives from the combined cells (the sum of each cell's voltage if the cells are hooked up in a series connection scheme), and, the voltage that a cell delivers is determined by the amount of charge remaining and the voltage sag of the cell in question. The voltage sag depends on a number of factors such as the current load placed on the cell and the characteristics of the cell, among several other factors. The run time is also affected by how the efficiency of the cell diminishes with increasing current load.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Even in Watt's Law, amps matter...right?

Screenshot_20181207-044153.png Screenshot_20181207-044206.png Screenshot_20181207-044222.png

VU Sponsors