Become a Patron!

26650s, Aspire vs. Ijoy?

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Ok, I started my search for 26650s with Mooch's chart for them -- and also, just plain LOCATING them, and it seems that of the vendors from whom I've previously bought batteries, only liionwholesale carries them. Of those that liionwholesale carries, Mooch rated the Aspire and the Ijoy very similarly, 271 and 279 respectively. At liionwholesale, I found that the Ijoy is $3 more than the Aspire, and that the Aspire is a "clearance item." Given my very low wattage vaping style, and also my son's (he does use about .5 ohm coils, but at a max of about 20w), it appears that either would be suitable for us.

My question is, is there anything actually wrong with the Aspires, that would lead liionwholesale to discontinue carrying them and mark the price way down? If there's something actually wrong with them, then obviously I don't want them... but it would be nice to save a bit of $$$ if the Aspires are perfectly fine batteries for those who vape at low wattage/sensible resistance.

Thx!
Andria

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Used to use MNKE 26650's for a long time, but I also remember when Aspire got into the battery game, claiming their batteries are ICR on their 18650's, which is not a really safe chemistry for our application. I've since transitioned to the iJoy 26650's for my 26650 mods, they last way longer on a charge than the MNKE's ever did by about 20 to 25% more discharge time. Currently using in my HCigar VT75 (DNA75) mod, 0.3 to 0.6ohm RDA's in the 40 to 50watts range, get excellent battery life and CDR out of them, they handle the draw just fine. They would suite your son just fine, and knowing your very low power vaping style, with me when I run a 1.5ohm Kayfun on my VT75 at 8 to 10watts I get almost 4days per charge, my drippers I get about a day of use per charge.

Can't speak about the Aspire 26650 though, given the mislabel of a IMR/INR as an ICR or if the batteries were truly ICR with their 18650's I have a little trust issue there, so have never run any Aspire branded external batteries, I've used several of their Ego style units from back in the day and their LiPo packs were solid performers, currently have a Zelos with an internal 4000mah LiPo that is spot on like their Ego styled ones only more powerful, so hard to say. Buying one and testing at very low end like you use might be worth buying one to test, your son, I'd probably say stay with the iJoys for the extra safety room for his power level, jmho though.

obijuan77

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I'm also curios to know what others think. I noticed the same exact thing as Andria yesterday. Any other opinions?

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well, it turns out that my son actually bought an Aegis Legend, not the original Aegis, so he doesn't need 26650s; that's a 2-batt 18650 mod. Since I'm the only one who needs the 26650, I may just go with the Aspire.

One thing I noticed about the Aegis; yes, it has an adapter so you can run it with an 18650... but it runs thru my 3000mAh 30Q's faster than my other mods run thru my 2500mAh 25R's. The 30Q's last me nearly 3 days in a Minibook; in the Aegis, I get about a day. That sucks! Why does it use the battery so much faster???

Andria

obijuan77

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
LOL. Andrea, same problem here with my Aegis which is why I started looking at the 26650's. The 100W Aegis has a really high cutoff voltage of 3.3v. Could this be lowered using Arctic Fox?

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For 26650 the best I've found are the iJoy

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
LOL. Andrea, same problem here with my Aegis which is why I started looking at the 26650's. The 100W Aegis has a really high cutoff voltage of 3.3v. Could this be lowered using Arctic Fox?

Doubtful, since the original Aegis doesn't have a USB port at all. But my Minibooks have about that same cutoff. All I can figure is that the huge mass of metal in the Aegis is somehow causing battery drain...? I vape at less than 10w, you'd think a 3000mAh battery SHOULD last nearly 3 days!

Andria

obijuan77

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Doubtful, since the original Aegis doesn't have a USB port at all. But my Minibooks have about that same cutoff. All I can figure is that the huge mass of metal in the Aegis is somehow causing battery drain...? I vape at less than 10w, you'd think a 3000mAh battery SHOULD last nearly 3 days!

Andria

The 100 watt Aegis? It does have a USB port. You have to unscrew the 2 screws on top of the mod, near the 510 pin for the tank. The little cover comes off, and there's your USB

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The 100 watt Aegis? It does have a USB port. You have to unscrew the 2 screws on top of the mod, near the 510 pin for the tank. The little cover comes off, and there's your USB

Ah cool, thx for that! I had no idea, and there is NOTHING in the "manual" about it.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well, since I first started this thread, I had a HD crash, and I have lost the Mooch chart I was consulting then -- does anyone know of a chart of his that has the specs on the Ijoys? The only one I can find via google search has the Basen blacks, but not the Ijoys. which are the only 26650s I can find at liionwholesale.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
YES!! :bliss:

THANK YOU!!!!

I still haven't bought any 26650s for my leopard-print Aegis, and now I'm waiting on the red and black one that @Passafire was selling, so I figger I really oughta get some of the huge honkin batteries they can use! :giggle:

The Basens are a good bit cheaper than the ijoys; with my usual vaping at 10w or less, 1.8-2 ohms, I think 20-25 amp CDR is perfectly adequate.

Andria

obijuan77

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
glad to help;)

you're going to love the long run times, but it does add a little weight, but the mod itself isn't exactly light lol

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Just as well, dagnabbit; the ijoys are OOS. :mad: I found them at only ONE other place, where they're almost a dollar more, so I think I'll get a couple Basens, and then when Liionwholesale gets the ijoys back in stock, get a couple then.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
glad to help;)

you're going to love the long run times, but it does add a little weight, but the mod itself isn't exactly light lol

I don't really find it that heavy. It's a bit bigger than my other fave mods, my Minibooks, so I guess it just feels logical that it weigh a bit more... but I really like the handfeel of it, it feels solid, so maybe that's why the weight doesn't bother me.

Can't wait to get that black and red one; my favorite colors!

Andria

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
@AndriaD,
I have 3 mech mod's that require 26650 batteries. At first I used the Efest 26650s, but meanwhile switched to the black Basen. IMHO, they perform better than the Efest.

obijuan77

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I bought the Vapecell batteries from liionwholesale. So far I've been happy with these. @AndriaD the black & red one is the one I have;)

I got it on sale at eightvape. I made out like a bandit on this order:

Untitled.png

Last edited:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
@AndriaD,
I have 3 mech mod's that require 26650 batteries. At first I used the Efest 26650s, but meanwhile switched to the black Basen. IMHO, they perform better than the Efest.

Yeah, I won't waste money on Efest batteries anymore, because who the hell knows what they really are?

Andria

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I bought the Vapecell batteries from liionwholesale. So far I've been happy with these. @AndriaD the black & red one is the one I have;)

I got it on sale at eightvape. I made out like a bandit on this order:

View attachment 122559
liionwholesale is my preferred source for my batteries, due to their honesty and QA of their products. However, occasionally I have to go to some of their competitors.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
liionwholesale is my preferred source for my batteries, due to their honesty and QA of their products. However, occasionally I have to go to some of their competitors.

I've occasionally bought from illumn.com -- my other trusted source -- but I do prefer liionwholesale. And I did get the Basens, and really like the 4500mAh. :D

Andria

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
The Aspire's were probably marked down due to Aspire not supplying them any longer, and/or possibly the mod(s) they had that use them are no longer in production. Size 26650 seems to be taken over by these newer size batts like 20700 and 21700.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The Aspire's were probably marked down due to Aspire not supplying them any longer, and/or possibly the mod(s) they had that use them are no longer in production. Size 26650 seems to be taken over by these newer size batts like 20700 and 21700.

Apparently I'd have to get some other adapter to use those sizes with the Aegis, so I'll just stick with the 26650s. Yeah I could still use 18650s with it, but the 3000mAh 30Q's seem more like 2000mAh batteries in the Aegis -- in my Minibooks, I get almost 3 full days with the 30Q's, but barely 2 days if I use a 30Q in the Aegis. :facepalm:

I don't find the Aspires anywhere anymore, so I'll probably stick with the Basens; if my son gets an original Aegis to go with his Legend, I'll get him some iJoys since they're slightly higher in CDR, and he vapes at low resistance sometimes. My own ~2ohm vaping is fine with the Basens.

Andria

GorGon27

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VRK are very good 26650. Say 40a of course Bs. 25. say 4200mah but my tests are 4600mah. That may be the highest a 20a 26650 goes in real mah?
Is there a real 25a 5,000mah? Anyway not going to miss 200mah.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VRK are very good 26650. Say 40a of course Bs. 25. say 4200mah but my tests are 4600mah. That may be the highest a 20a 26650 goes in real mah?
Is there a real 25a 5,000mah? Anyway not going to miss 200mah.

I dunno if any 26650s go that high. I was able to find the Basens at liionwholesale, and Mooch says they're 20A/4500mAh, so that's good enough for me. The Ijoys I think are maybe 30A? Not sure if their mAh are higher. Never heard of the VRKs before.

Andria

ETA: I started with the 65mAh eRolls, that came in a "personal charging case"... then went to the 800mAh Innokin vv3's... don't miss either one ATALL! But they served their purpose and got me off 39 yrs of coffin nails, so I'm very grateful for that -- I really didn't think anything could.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Hey, a new question for you battery nerds: ;) On Mooch's chart, in several places, there's a red triangle with an exclamation point in it -- any idea what that means? I've looked all over that chart and even perused his FB page, but I can't find any explanation for that symbol. I wasn't sure this was a significant enough question to pester him with on his FB page, but it's driving me bonkers, not knowing.

Andria

obijuan77

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
You mean this table?

upload_2018-12-8_23-41-44.png

These mean "Not Tested"

but not sure if we're talking about the same thing?

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Yeah, the "NT", not tested, I got that... but the triangle with the exclamation point is never defined anywhere. If I see an exclamation point, I kinda expect an exclamation of some sort, someWHERE. :D It's kinda like hearing the punchline of a joke... with zero frame of reference for what it means or why it's funny. :D

Andria

obijuan77

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
well it does only appear in the final score column, so i guess no score!? idk lol

Edit: Mooch is like the soup (battery) nazi. NO SCORE FOR YOU! NEXT!

VU Sponsors