Become a Patron!

28 vs 26 gauge kanthal

jumper

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've been using 28 gauge kanthal for a while and I'm thinking about going to 26. Can anyone tell me the difference in ohms on a 5/4 wrap? (ballpark idea)

thanks a lot...

Liu

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I know it's one of those complex answers, but 26ga Kathal is about %75 as resistant as 28.

So assume if you're normally getting around a 1Ω coil with your selection of diameter and your style of coiling and lead length, the same design on 26 would get you about a .75Ω.

jumper

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hi Liu. Thanks so much for the reply. Have another question. If you had to choose between 26 and 24, what would you choose? I assuming that the 24 would be harder hitting than the 28?

Liu

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I actually tend to run 28 more than anything else. The thing about it is, the thinner wire heats up much more quickly. The same length of 24 will give you a much lower ohm reading at the same length as 28ga, and with that more heat, and potentially more vapor in the long run, but you also need much more airflow and good wicking to make it happen, and it takes a noticeable amount of time for thick coils to heat up completely. If you're cloud chasing, competing, that sort of thing, it has it's place, but for a regular vape I find it's more comfortable to not wait on my coils and waste a lot of juice while they heat up. My cloud chasing RDA goes through about a ML of juice in 3-5 hits, I'm guessing only a third of that is actually projected from my face...

jumper

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks a lot. I really appreciate what you wrote. I'm using 28 gauge now and have seen posts that talk about wire gauge. I didn't know that thicker wire took more time to heat up. And the .75omh difference doesn't seem like a big difference. However, I will probably buy some 26 gauge just to see for myself. I'm using a Stingray with a Kraken as my go to setup. The Stingray has 4 air holes between the mod and the tank, so I think that would help. Will let you know how things turn out.

VU Sponsors