Become a Patron!

28Ga around 26Ga Clapton wire

Analias

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Had some wire on hand and I made a nifty Clapton coiler jig. Tested it out and spun up some good looking Clapton wire. Is there any way to model Clapton wire in Steam Engine?

Any suggestions for a dual coil build with this wire?

Thanks Humans!

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Consider just the inner wire as your main wire...the wraps around it are more less a wick but since those need to heat up as well its going to take longer to heat up and cool down and will require a considerable amount more power to do so.

This is where an ohms meter is better than steam engine...it tells you the actual ohms...not a theoretical ohms.

Analias

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Consider just the inner wire as your main wire...the wraps around it are more less a wick but since those need to heat up as well its going to take longer to heat up and cool down and will require a considerable amount more power to do so.

This is where an ohms meter is better than steam engine...it tells you the actual ohms...not a theoretical ohms.

Since I don't have an ohms meter should I just model this as a 26Ga coil then? Is that what you're saying?

Thanks @Mike H.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You can try that...i would however consider an ohms meter in your near future.

If you are using a regulated device you can use it to figure out your ohms...ive done that for quite sometime now.

If you use a mechanical mod you really need a ohms meter.

Analias

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I am using a VV/VW device and first I'll put it on the little plastic ohms box (ohms meter?) I have. It's nice to have a projected/modeled target ohmage so I know if something is wrong. I don't have anything I can use to check the resistance of the wire itself until I wrap it and install it on an atty.

Analias

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Guess so, I don't have a multi meter I can clip onto the actual strand of wire. The 26Ga 28Ga Clapton doesn't really work. Hot as hell and takes forever to ramp up. 7 wraps at 2.0 mm dual coil at .38 ohms running 36.5 W. Gauges are too similar so it acts like one big piece of wire. Time to buy some wire!
I'm going to try 28 and 32 gauge.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have to ask if you are manipulating the coils so they glow from the center outward?.

Just wrapping a coil and installing it doesnt make it a good coil...ive wrapped simple 26g wire thats read .23 and it shouldnt be that at all based on the number of wraps...It takes squeezing and moving the coil around sometimes to make them work properly.

Analias

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yeah, I'm squeezing and tweaking my contact coils. I use the old ceramic tweezers for the little micros but it's the bent needlenose pliers for the Clapton. Thanks for checking on me! Even with a good squeezing so that it ramps up from inside out this 26 28 takes forever. Not much for subtle flavor but lots of vapor.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I would say better to suited to much higher power to keep ramp up time to a minimum.

You can still use the 26g inner wire if you wanted and maybe try a thinner outter...ive seen alot with 32g wrapped around 26g.

mstave

Member For 4 Years
Had some wire on hand and I made a nifty Clapton coiler jig. Tested it out and spun up some good looking Clapton wire. Is there any way to model Clapton wire in Steam Engine?

Any suggestions for a dual coil build with this wire?

Thanks Humans!
Google Steam Engine vaping calculator, once on the site, click "wire wizard" up top, follow directions to model this wire in various configurations

Analias

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Google Steam Engine vaping calculator, once on the site, click "wire wizard" up top, follow directions to model this wire in various configurations

Wire wizard works pretty well. It'll give you the resistance for one Clapton coil model so just divide by two and there's the target for dual coils, yeah? Pretty nifty, new too. Me likey!

VU Sponsors