Become a Patron!

2A wall charger dangerous???

PuffV

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
A customer of mine charged his spinner battery on a 2A wall plug and the battery vented, melted and the wires fused together. Is this due to the wall plug? 2A plugs are becoming more common and I will start giving a warning to new customers. Fire risk or explosion is extremely scary stuff.

Attachments

• 20150817_185837.jpeg
    20150817_185837.jpeg
    99.1 KB · Views: 17

harpo1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Shouldn't have anything to do with it. The device will only draw what it needs. More than likely something else was wrong with the mod or possibly the 2A wall charger was faulty.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It could just be an old battery that was ready to go but here's a good discussion on that subject.
http://vapingunderground.com/threads/is-this-cell-phone-charger-safe-for-istick.48611/#post-275957

I don't think there's an on board charger in a ego, maybe the Istick has one and the wall plug is supplying power and the Istick is charging the battery at the amp(s) it wants. But I would think the ego takes whatever the wall plug is pushing and 2a is certainly more than a small cell wants.

I know with my RC charger, what it's set to push out is what the battery gets. If I set it to charge a 5000mah pack that can take a 2c charge rate at 40a, there is 100% chance of fire.

I guess it depends on if the wall plug is doing the charging or if the mod is doing the charging... a 2a wall plug may or may not be too much. How much room is inside that ego to fit a charger in there? Not much.

Last edited:

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If it was a Spinner with USB pass through the charger is built in and should regulate the input but... If not then the wall wart was feeding a standard ego charger. A standard ego charger calls for 500mA input and outputs 420mA. A cheap ego charger might handle a higher input but I don't know that I would rely on it. I always just went with a basic 500mA wall wort when I used them.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So the wall plug thing is supplying the power and the in between adapter is actually the charger and sending the amps to the battery. It's not passive and just connecting to the battery?

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yes, the wall wort is simply supplying the correct voltage (5V) to the circuitry in the ego charger that controls how the charging is done. With USB pass through that circuitry is built into the device and the USB just supplies the voltage. Some of those are designed to accept a 5V 1A input but it really depends on the particular device as to how sophisticated that circuitry might be and how it handles it. With most mods with built in charging the circuitry will be fine if more amps than it needs are available but it depends on the choices made at the time it was made. Still, there's a reason they say to never leave a li-ion battery to charge unattended and most likely this is just an example of why.

Last edited:

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Battery chargers that come with ecigs are crap. That's being nice. I have had them get so hot they melt the tension out of the springs holding the battery's in the cradle. A house fire that has not happened yet. I use a Nitecore charger & don't trust it either. NEVER charge any type of any kind & leave it un attended. Fuckin' PERIOD. Car battery, Vibrator, Motorcycle, Space Ship. Ever. :cool:

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Battery chargers that come with ecigs are crap. That's being nice. I have had them get so hot they melt the tension out of the springs holding the battery's in the cradle. A house fire that has not happened yet. I use a Nitecore charger & don't trust it either. NEVER charge any type of any kind & leave it un attended. Fuckin' PERIOD. Car battery, Vibrator, Motorcycle, Space Ship. Ever. :cool:
Ruin my fun man. How am I meant to charge the space ship in the day? I usually charge it from 11 till around 3 AM then fly to give a convincing siting, as they look better at night, any tips on how to use during the day? :p

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Science got me where I'm at now. The more I know, the more beer I drink. No one I know will ever talk bad about a Biker kickin' the can from Beer. Still got 20 years more Vaping to do. :cool:

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
As others have mentioned using a wall plug with higher current capability shouldn't matter if everything is working. The charging circuit should only draw what it needs.

VU Sponsors