Become a Patron!

2nd Attempt at an RDA

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
First attempt kinda failed, it measured 0.10 Ohms and my Sigelei refused to accept it.

So, my 2nd attempt, dual 6.5 wraps of 22g Kanthal on a Caterpillar RDA clone. Measures 0.16 Ohms
Not perfect, the coil near the bottom of the picture is slightly longer then the other so doesn't heat up as quickly.

1sttry.jpg

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
First attempt kinda failed, it measured 0.10 Ohms and my Sigelei refused to accept it.

So, my 2nd attempt, dual 6.5 wraps of 22g Kanthal on a Caterpillar RDA clone. Measures 0.16 Ohms
Not perfect, the coil near the bottom of the picture is slightly longer then the other so doesn't heat up as quickly.

View attachment 10778
Why you not make micro coil? Why you wraps not touching?

Jwilzz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
What are you wrapping around? And even if it's not perfect when first wrapped, you can still clamp it up after.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Why you not make micro coil? Why you wraps not touching?

Because I'm a noob at coil building? lol

Will making them touch make it run better? I've read lots of sites that say they shouldn't touch unless they are micro coils.
I used a thick gauge because I don't like the thought of trying to work with hair thin wire. My big hands don't offer fine dexterity for delicate things anymore (already had carpel tunnel surgery in both) so figured the thicker wire would be easier to work with.

What are you wrapping around? And even if it's not perfect when first wrapped, you can still clamp it up after.
Used the shaft of a screwdriver, around 2mm diameter.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Another question: Are you just winding up with those readings...or do you have a target? Pretty ballsy resistance numbers for someone new to dripping. My suggestion is coming up with a more reasonable target.....say .50 and go with a much smaller gauge wire....like....26. It would benefit you greatly to have a resistance checker if you do not already have one.

Jwilzz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Will making them touch make it run better? I've read lots of sites that say they shouldn't touch unless they are micro coils.
I used a thick gauge because I don't like the thought of trying to work with hair thin wire. My big hands don't offer fine dexterity for delicate things anymore (already had carpel tunnel surgery in both) so figured the thicker wire would be easier to work with.

Although that sounds good in theory, thinner wire is easier to build with. Only certain circumstances and builds call for the space between the wires. But if you're just starting out, definitely try to keep them as tight as possible. Will vape better for sure.

EDIT: Like he said about the 26g, that's what I learned to build with. Then went down to 24g and there was still a noticeable difference in difficulty even though I got good with 26g. And like he said about the ohms, make sure you aren't pushing your batteries past their amp limit if you haven't checked already. Safety first my friend!

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee

Good point...but larger wire makes it hard to reach higher resistance. 26 is not that miniscule. Perhaps a winding jig would help? As for micros...that is the norm now. Open coils are where most of us started...especially with Genesis style atomisers...but you get a much better result, and more consistent flavour and heating with a micro.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I also HIGHLY recommend a coil calculator like http://www.steam-engine.org/ to use in conjunction with a simple winding jig. Some of use use drill bits or jewelers screwdrivers....but a jig makes for consistent and tight coils that will be less prone to crud buildup and even coil heating.

Jwilzz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I also HIGHLY recommend a coil calculator like http://www.steam-engine.org/ to use in conjunction with a simple winding jig. Some of use use drill bits or jewelers screwdrivers....but a jig makes for consistent and tight coils that will be less prone to crud buildup and even coil heating.

Holy shit I just had a realization. When people say they use a drill bit, are they actually putting it in the drill and using it to make the wraps?!? I always thought they just used them to know the diameters!

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Holy shit I just had a realization. When people say they use a drill bit, are they actually putting it in the drill and using it to make the wraps?!? I always thought they just used them to know the diameters!
LOL, no...that would be catastrophic. They wind the wire upon the bit like a mandrel...same with jeweler's screwdrivers. This affords leverage to make the coils tight and uniform....it also help with installing the coils so they do not bend and deform. Tight straight coils = happy vapes!

Jwilzz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
LOL, no...that would be catastrophic. They wind the wire upon the bit like a mandrel...same with jeweler's screwdrivers. This affords leverage to make the coils tight and uniform....it also help with installing the coils so they do not bend and deform. Tight straight coils = happy vapes!

Oh man okay haha. I was just picturing people somehow slowly using the drill to autowrap the coil lol. I just use some random metal rod I found in my garage that seems to always be the perfect diameter for my builds.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yep, have an Ohms Meter that I was checking the RDA on before use.
No real goal, basically just figured I'd wing it and see what I came up with. lol

Using a Sigelei 100watt box with married 35amp efast batts. So fairly certain the hardware side is ok with the resistance (or lack thereof, as the box has a min resistance limit).

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
hmm, actually, I guess you could say my goal is to make something that performs better then my Atlantis.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I used a Siggy 100w before. Check out some micro coil tutorials on YouTube. Also....that link will help you hit specific resistance targets....I'd start out with .5 ohms.

Jwilzz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Not sure what you're wrapping around but I'd say go for a dual coil 8 wrap and get those things tight. Should vape nice.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Not sure what you're wrapping around but I'd say go for a dual coil 8 wrap and get those things tight. Should vape nice.
That will put you at .3 total w/22g
Most of my builds are 22g .19ohms.....7 wraps per coil. That is with a 3mm mandrel on a winding jig.

Jwilzz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That will put you at .3 total w/22g
Most of my builds are 22g .19ohms.....7 wraps per coil. That is with a 3mm mandrel on a winding jig.

.35 was what my first build was and I loved it. Worked my way down pretty quick though and have stayed at .25 or lower pretty much.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
.35 was what my first build was and I loved it. Worked my way down pretty quick though and have stayed at .25 or lower pretty much.
That is when you know you have been building for awhile lol.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
@zaroba make this a target image for your builds....wicking and all. This is one of my builds on a Tobh V2 with the build I described a few posts up.
qLn5iRu.png

Last edited:

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Identical build on an Orchid V4
xdhbHRp.png

ysiZQ5B.png

fMDDOhC.png

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
3rd attempt(s)

Wrapped a lot around my screwdriver
IMG_9452.JPG

Cut 2 coils out of it. 8.5 wraps per
IMG_9454.JPG

Mounted and tested. 0.14 Ohms
IMG_9457.JPG

First dry fire test @ 77 watts, they both glowed perfectly in sync with each other.
IMG_9462.JPG

Jwilzz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Now just work on centering them! :)

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I offset my legs with needle nose pliers when I'm finished wrapping.

VU Sponsors