Become a Patron!

2nd clapton complete

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got a a lot of new wire in and this one was easier than the 1st. Still a long way to go. This one is all N80 single core 26g with 32g wrap. Came out to .8 and id vapeable in Wasp nano on Pico Squeeze. Flavor is meh.

Observations:

1. Had to get new swivels. The ones I first tried were shit and contributed to a lot of fails and wasted wire. New ball bearing swivels made all the difference.

2. It's a bitch trying to figure out the right tension to hold the wrap wire.

3. Kbee wire is dirty, but fine for practicing because it's cheap. When I am more comfortable with skills I'll find other wire.

oPDoukq.jpg

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I'm right there with you, seriously. Good work man!

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got a a lot of new wire in and this one was easier than the 1st. Still a long way to go. This one is all N80 single core 26g with 32g wrap. Came out to .8 and id vapeable in Wasp nano on Pico Squeeze. Flavor is meh.

Observations:

1. Had to get new swivels. The ones I first tried were shit and contributed to a lot of fails and wasted wire. New ball bearing swivels made all the difference.

2. It's a bitch trying to figure out the right tension to hold the wrap wire.

3. Kbee wire is dirty, but fine for practicing because it's cheap. When I am more comfortable with skills I'll find other wire.

oPDoukq.jpg
awesome :cheers: thats a nice clean second build. some points on your notes and observations:

-single core clapton flavor is barely better than round wire imo. stick with fused (2 cores) for better all around performance, without any extra difficulty

-ball bearing swivels are the ones you want. i got some 330 lbs test from walmart for about $5 a pack. i chained three in a row (for redundancy if one fails). check them often and apply some oil, or simply replace if they get crunchy. also, mind how hard you pull on your drill and wrap wire. the more tension you apply to those, the more friction is created in your swivels (which was my number one way to fail a build with more than two cores until i learned to be gentle).

-for wrap wire tension, try to train yourself to use the least amount possible. 32 is too big (imo) for wrap wire. it might seem like using a bigger wire would be an easier way to start, but it is so stiff that it makes things harder (again, imo). try to stick with 36 or higher. dont worry if you cant see it very well, youll learn to trust your angles and not need to see it properly very soon. when i say 'use the least amount of tension possible' i mean the least amount for it to give you clapton wraps that dont slide off or become loose.

-i have had dirty, poorly spooled wire from kbee, and also clean perfect wire from them. seems hit or miss. i dont really care if its clean or not because i clean and pulse the hell out of my coils before i vape them no matter what...but poorly spooled wire is unforgivable imo for builders.

keep at it! you are off to a great start:cheers:

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
awesome :cheers: thats a nice clean second build. some points on your notes and observations:

-single core clapton flavor is barely better than round wire imo. stick with fused (2 cores) for better all around performance, without any extra difficulty

-ball bearing swivels are the ones you want. i got some 330 lbs test from walmart for about $5 a pack. i chained three in a row (for redundancy if one fails). check them often and apply some oil, or simply replace if they get crunchy. also, mind how hard you pull on your drill and wrap wire. the more tension you apply to those, the more friction is created in your swivels (which was my number one way to fail a build with more than two cores until i learned to be gentle).

-for wrap wire tension, try to train yourself to use the least amount possible. 32 is too big (imo) for wrap wire. it might seem like using a bigger wire would be an easier way to start, but it is so stiff that it makes things harder (again, imo). try to stick with 36 or higher. dont worry if you cant see it very well, youll learn to trust your angles and not need to see it properly very soon. when i say 'use the least amount of tension possible' i mean the least amount for it to give you clapton wraps that dont slide off or become loose.

-i have had dirty, poorly spooled wire from kbee, and also clean perfect wire from them. seems hit or miss. i dont really care if its clean or not because i clean and pulse the hell out of my coils before i vape them no matter what...but poorly spooled wire is unforgivable imo for builders.

keep at it! you are off to a great start:cheers:

Thanks for the tips. For the fused clapton I just built I used 34g and it was easier to work with than the 32. Next one will be 36.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Gonna use those tips too, got set up to get to work tomorrow (daughter back to school, I'm more excited for that than her haha) today I rebuilt a Vivi Nova, that's all :teehee:

VU Sponsors