Become a Patron!

30A batteries required?

Baba Fats

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey, so what is with all of these mods that say that you need to use 30+A batteries? The only 18650 batteries that I trust only go up to 20A, maybe 25A. Except the new Sony VTC6. But even then, They say something about an 80C cutoff that I can't find more info on.

Are most of these mods just overstating what you need so you will buy a battery during the same purchase? Or do they only want you to buy batteries that have been rewrapped and had the labl changed to reflect the higher draw. Or is it all a lie, and my LG HG2 will be just fine

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
In a regulated mod, the HG2's are fine....!

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
No more than 150w using 20 amp and that's pushing 20 amps to the limits.

Baba Fats

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sounds good. I use those in my sx mini m class, and just picked up the q class and that's where I saw the 30A minimum. But I rarely go over 40 Watts. Even on my mech mods, I stay around there. So I only use LG, and VTC4's or 5's. I've always felt safe with their chemistry and construction

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
On my joyetech cuboid 150 im using a .29ohm dual coil and at 40 watts its showing im sending 11.7amps to the coil so an HG2 should be fine for you...That 150w I mentioned was for a dual battery regulated mod.

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Sounds good. I use those in my sx mini m class, and just picked up the q class and that's where I saw the 30A minimum. But I rarely go over 40 Watts. Even on my mech mods, I stay around there. So I only use LG, and VTC4's or 5's. I've always felt safe with their chemistry and construction

A lot of these mods, and I mean a lot are overspeccing their ratings, especially the really higher wattage devices, this is my own opinion though given with a mech mod it is easy to understand (Fresh Charge Voltage 4.2v/Resistance = Max Amps), with regulated mods it gets a bit more complex using the Formula (Set Watts/Lowest Battery Charge/90%=Max Amps). With a regulated mod the lower the voltage of the batteries drop, if the voltage is below the voltage needed to get to said watts, the mod pulls extra amps from the battery(ies) to convert to extra voltage, average is about 3.2v per battery before the mod shuts down completely or sends a weak battery signal, multi-battery you multiply that figure by X number of batteries. Given you are by your own statement not asking much of your batteries anyway at 40 watts, maybe asking 10 to 12 amps, possibly 15 maximum, you should have nothing to worry about, it when you go high in the wattage you'll need to worry.

40watts/3.2v=12.5/90%=13.8889amps ever ask off a single battery regulated.

But -
Dual Battery 150watt Device
150watts/6.4v=23.4375/90%=26.0417amps needed

200watt Dual Battery Snow Wolf
200/6.4=31.25/90%=34.7222 <- No battery unless pulsed can reach this, but the Snow Wolf does pulse modulate the higher and higher the watts are set so skates around this ever so narrowly

250Watt RX200 Triple Battery Device
250/9.6=26.0417/90%=28.9352 amps needed

Newer RX300 Quad Battery Parallel-Series (2 series battery sleds in parallel), being does have parallel we gain about 50% amp load, ie 20 amp batteries we'd gain an extra 10 amps, making the parallel circuit capable of handling 30amps as the load is shared between both battery sleds

300/6.4=46.875/90%=52.0833amps needed/but being parallel load balanced divide this by about 1/2=26.0416amps each battery sled needs to be able to handle

The 80C temperature is internal temperature, @Mooch sets this limits to pass fail a battery, 80C is pretty warm, damage to the battery begins in the 100 to 120C range, so that 20 to 40C difference is a safety buffer he has set in place in case of aberant battery behavior, a 20amp CDR battery generally starts reaching this temperature at the 18 to 20amp load being requested of it, hold above its CDR at a pulse higher than it is rated, you raise the temperature up past the 120C mark, start hitting the around 200C mark battery starts venting, above that you start reaching full on thermal runaway, either instance of venting or runaway the battery is toast from then on forward, touching or exceeding 120C regularly you cook the battery from the inside out and destroy it rapidly making venting or runaway more and more likely.

hth help explain things a bit, a little technical yes, but with batteries information is power in itself.

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
On my joyetech cuboid 150 im using a .29ohm dual coil and at 40 watts its showing im sending 11.7amps to the coil so an HG2 should be fine for you...That 150w I mentioned was for a dual battery regulated mod.

The Joyetech mods telling amps, that is the amps the mod chipset is sending itself, not what the batteries are having to supply, with regulated mods it is the chipset doing most the work, the batteries just have to supply what the chipset requests. The DNA200 for example, the spec sheet says to reach top 200watts the input supply needs to be around 25amps (this is what the batteries need to be capable of supplying) on the output from the chip to the coil that amp load can be upward of 50 to 60amps (this is what the chipset boost circuit is doing not what the batteries are doing). To understand what the batteries are doing, the Watts/Lowest Volts/Mod Chipset Efficiency=Final amps need of the batteries.

Baba Fats

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
IMFire, No problems understanding you. I'm a technical person. And the 80c thing is exactly what I expected. Just wasn't sure since I couldn't find confirmation.

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Unfortunately these mod makers are aware that companies are rewrapping batteries and putting unrealistic ratings on them so they're saying these high ratings just in case someone buys one of those batteries, to cover themselves. It does make it confusing when someone's trying to be as safe as possible though, because in many cases that means buying a battery with lower amp limits than the ones recommended by the manufacturer.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Except the new Sony VTC6. But even then, They say something about an 80C cutoff that I can't find more info on.
VTC6s are 20A.
Sony rate many of their batteries as 30A@80C which is entirely not the same as 30A and is meaningless.

Chinese manufacturers allow their mods to reach much higher wattage per battery then recommended, knowing fully well that most people will use 20A in them, so they write this warning to cover their own asses.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors