Become a Patron!

34 gauge / 34g / 34 g wire help

Flag_Route

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So I have about 955ft of the dam hair thin wire left from a while ago(bought 1000ft for $20). Any build recommendations?

Ive been twisting 5 long strands about 4ft long clockwise and bending it in half and twisting them counter clockwise to make it somewhat useable.

Strange thing is, the twisted wire comes to the thickness of a 26g twisted but, resistance comes out super high. The 34g I make comes out to 1.3 ohms with 8 wraps with 2.4mm id. I have regulated box mods so ive been cranking them up to 6 volts.

I like lower resistance builds and higher wattages.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Me, I am just a tad paranoid by nature.

And the black SUVs and helicopters following me everywhere do not help with my outlook on life.

Do you have any idea of the compesition of said wire?

As I understand it, some compounds are less than safe for use for vaping?

Great deal, no doubt.

Good idea, I am not so sure.

If it were me (as well as the men wearing black suits picking through my trash) I would not use it for vaping.

But I am sure you can sell it to the folks outside my window and they can make a healthy supply garrotes out of it.:eek:

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
OK you can roll a damned decent hot little parallel macro coil up with 34ga. do a dual set up and drop them ohms.
In fact in my igo w I have a dual parallel 34 set up in it and it comes out to .65

RBVapes

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The larger the gauge the higher the resistance so I'm not sure why you're seeing this. What type of metal is it? Could be if it's braided that it's not oxidized so you are getting shorts? Got a pic?

Flag_Route

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It's from lightning vapes so I'm sure there isn't anything wrong with it.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
The larger the gauge the higher the resistance so I'm not sure why you're seeing this. What type of metal is it? Could be if it's braided that it's not oxidized so you are getting shorts? Got a pic?
Unless the wick material is metal...shorting is probably not an issue.

Flag_Route

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Its just regular kanthal. I've noticed all different gauge wires do the same thing. Like a 26g twisted is similar thickness to a 20g but resistance comes out higher.

Well that's what I got from my testings.

Flag_Route

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Me, I am just a tad paranoid by nature.

And the black SUVs and helicopters following me everywhere do not help with my outlook on life.

Do you have any idea of the compesition of said wire?

As I understand it, some compounds are less than safe for use for vaping?

Great deal, no doubt.

Good idea, I am not so sure.

If it were me (as well as the men wearing black suits picking through my trash) I would not use it for vaping.

But I am sure you can sell it to the folks outside my window and they can make a healthy supply garrotes out of it.:eek:
It's just regular kanthal.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I roll POCs (plain old coils) with 34 ga kanthal when I mount my atties dual-coil (which is not very often) to end up around 1.5 ohm. The trouble with thin wire like that is, it's easy to damage the leads in the posts - especially with posts that have holes for the wire to go through.

McDude

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Has it been annealed? If annealed, then that could impact contact and connectivity, thereby affecting resistance.

"Similar to <other gauge>" is not terribly accurate in terms of actual measurement. The resistance of a 4 wrap 26 gauge is very different from a 4 wrap 28 gauge. The human eye can't really be relied upon to measure effective gauge of a twisted pair. So is it "like" a 26 gauge or "like" a 28 gauge? I don't think that can be measured through simple observation.

Take into account annealing and other factors that affect contact, then eye-balling it becomes even further off.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors