Become a Patron!

.5 Ohm vs .25 Ohm Uwell Crown Dual Coils - Difference

tr1age

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reviewer
So I have searched extensively for an answer to this as I am still getting my feet very wet quickly in this vaping world. I for the life of me cannot figure out other than the higher wattage output why you would pick a .5 or a .25 over the other.

I put the .5 into my uwell and liked the pull and taste but sometimes it felt a little more burnt than say the .25 which needed less air to get that pull but became harder to pull.

Any advice is appreciated! Trying to soak it all in!

In the end I will end up with RDA's and RTA's so this is just for those times when I am lazy and wanna slap a tank on.

Vapin4Joy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, .50 is more for people that like Mouth to Lung, and .25 is more for people that like Direct to Lung.
Hope this helps you.

tr1age

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reviewer
I honestly can't even notice the difference at this rating though they literally pull almost exactly the same on the Uwell depending on how you open your air flow. On the .25 if I open the airflow all the way I can hardly hit it cause it is just too intense. Full airflow on the .5 is equivalent to the half airflow on the .25 just trying to understand why I suppose.

tr1age

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reviewer
I just did a quick test to see if I stopped down the airflow even more if I could do a mouth to lung hit and yeah it is possible with the .5 def not with the .25
So basically .25 = bigger clouds? Does it affect flavor?

Vapin4Joy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just did a quick test to see if I stopped down the airflow even more if I could do a mouth to lung hit and yeah it is possible with the .5 def not with the .25
So basically .25 = bigger clouds? Does it affect flavor?
How many watts are you doing with each, for me 60W with the .25 and around 25-30 with the .50.

tr1age

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reviewer
50 at .5 and 60 at .25 23-30 is a bit too cool for my liking.

Vapin4Joy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I get the most flavor from the .25, and wattage defiantly effects flavor.

tr1age

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reviewer
I get the most flavor from the .25, and wattage defiantly effects flavor.
Yeah since I am not doing mouth to lung hits, ever, prolly better to just go with the .25's and stop it down when need be cause I can always open it up for more clouds. Thanks for the back and forth :)

Model_A_Ford

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

50 at .5 and 60 at .25 23-30 is a bit too cool for my liking.

I'm with you there. 50+ for .5 and 60+ for .25

Some rave over the .25, but so far I've had a better experience with the .5

It could just be I've just used the .5 more

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'll be starting to figure some of this out in a week when my wife's Crown atty (.5) craps out and I throw in her new RBA (.25). Until then...

From what I've been noticing, it's more than the ohm value that creates the difference. In the Kanger SSOCCs, the .5 is Nichrome. I'm using Ti for her .25 RBA, and it seems to heat up a lot faster. More "responsive" I guess, especially when comparing other .25-.35 builds I've done with Kanthal.

There's also the TC factor, which I'm still trying to figure out in relation to all the different attys and wire types we've been juggling recently. And then there's the fact that she uses a 12mg high-octane menthol in her Kanger, which tends to bowl you over no matter what. She's vaping a 9mg vanilla sugar cookie in her Crown, which is going to make it harder to compare.

I posted somewhere last week that it might take me a month to fully figure this out. The problem is that the attys are lasting her 1-2 weeks versus a day/day and a half when she was vaping off crap sticks and tanks.

Translation: too many factors for an easy answer.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been using the 0.25 coils forever, but yesterday I put in a 0.5 - it was terrible, and the flavor was missing. Maybe it's a bad coil, but I'm shocked at the difference!

Vapin4Joy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been using the 0.25 coils forever, but yesterday I put in a 0.5 - it was terrible, and the flavor was missing. Maybe it's a bad coil, but I'm shocked at the difference!
Hey AmandaD, have you pulled the trigger on the Rafale yet, after 2 days of break in, .2 coil, the flavor is over the top. I say more flavor than the Crown, hard to believe.

tr1age

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reviewer
Yeah the breakin period for the .5 is LONG compared to the .25 I will say that.

Carl01924

Member For 4 Years
I don't rate the .5's at all they taste burnt after 3 tokes I like long deep lung inhales and the 0.25 at 80 watts are perfect they wick like a dream

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey AmandaD, have you pulled the trigger on the Rafale yet, after 2 days of break in, .2 coil, the flavor is over the top. I say more flavor than the Crown, hard to believe.
Even better is the Griffin RTA..

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

tr1age

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reviewer
I don't rate the .5's at all they taste burnt after 3 tokes I like long deep lung inhales and the 0.25 at 80 watts are perfect they wick like a dream

YES THIS! EXACTLY THIS! You just summed up my .5 issues. Thank you! :) Not crazy wooo!!!

I am looking at the OBS Crius V3 for my next RTA.

Carl01924

Member For 4 Years
I've used about 8 0.5's thinking I had a duff coil nope just crap, the 0.25 and 0.15 ni200 just work and work damn well

tr1age

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reviewer
Ok I have a .15 ni but only one temp controlled device. I hear you have to lock the OHMS.. I have the SMOK R80 Mod. It can only set initial resistance. That will work I assume. My Reuleaux comes soon so this will be a none issue.

Last edited:

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Still waiting for more reviews, most particularly on the VRBA section. I still have a ton of coils for my 3 Crowns!

and, @Break-19 yes, I have a Griffin! I do like the easy reliability of the OCC coils though for out and about. I still get some surprise leaks on occasion on the Griffin, and I suspect it's because I vape it until it's boiling hot LOL

tr1age

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reviewer
Ok I have a .15 ni but only one temp controlled device. I hear you have to lock the OHMS.. I have the SMOK R80 Mod. It can only set initial resistance. That will work I assume. My Reuleaux comes soon so this will be a none issue.
Just an update got it to work in temp control. Not as clean tasting as the SS .25 but def just as nice of a pull. Bravo.

BadLuckAndTrouble

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
YES THIS! EXACTLY THIS! You just summed up my .5 issues. Thank you! :) Not crazy wooo!!!

I am looking at the OBS Crius V3 for my next RTA.

The Griffin is cheaper at $25-30, and better quality.

tr1age

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reviewer
The Griffin is cheaper at $25-30, and better quality.

What makes it better? I've watched the reviews and don't see much of a difference. I do hear they both leak similarly :p As long as it isn't terrible leakage I did try an OBS crius and it was pretty yummy.

BadLuckAndTrouble

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What makes it better? I've watched the reviews and don't see much of a difference. I do hear they both leak similarly :p As long as it isn't terrible leakage I did try an OBS crius and it was pretty yummy.

Beefier components, bigger deck, and less finicky when it comes to wicking.

BadLuckAndTrouble

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The white Crius I got (I am not familiar with the version,sorry , I got it second hand at a local event) needed to be wicked perfectly like a Goblin Mini or you would experience dry hits/ flooding. Cheap, thin feeling metal, but a decent drip tip. Also the Crius uses a ceramic insulator that can crack fairly easily.

BadLuckAndTrouble

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I liked it well enough, traded it for some strawberry lemonade juice since I started squonking or I would have sold it in the classifieds here.

Squonking is where its at if you like drippers lol.

tr1age

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reviewer
I liked it well enough, traded it for some strawberry lemonade juice since I started squonking or I would have sold it in the classifieds here.

Squonking is where its at if you like drippers lol.

Had to look that up. Interesting :p

The Cruis while you had it (it was v3 if you had a velocity style deck, how was the leaking? Did it leak often? Did it stay relatively dry? Thanks! Also is it true that the Crius can't hold any 510 drip tip?

BadLuckAndTrouble

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Had to look that up. Interesting :p

The Cruis while you had it (it was v3 if you had a velocity style deck, how was the leaking? Did it leak often? Did it stay relatively dry? Thanks! Also is it true that the Crius can't hold any 510 drip tip?

I mean for me it leaked only the one time I wicked it too lightly, but it leaked about 1/2 tank quickly before I realized it and had juice all over my cars cup holder lol. I had to wick it around 4 times to get it exactly where I wanted it with triple twisted 26g Ni80.

I never tried to put my Copa on it, I liked the glass DT though apparently not everyone does.

tr1age

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reviewer
I mean for me it leaked only the one time I wicked it too lightly, but it leaked about 1/2 tank quickly before I realized it and had juice all over my cars cup holder lol. I had to wick it around 4 times to get it exactly where I wanted it with triple twisted 26g Ni80.

I never tried to put my Copa on it, I liked the glass DT though apparently not everyone does.

Yeah I was a fan of the drip tip when I tried it. Thanks for the input!

BaerCiggy2Vape

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
In my honest opinion, the 0.5ohm coils that come with the stock uwell crown tank are far much better for flavor when ran between 40 and 50 watts. 50.09watts being the sweet spot for me, very massive clouds and plenty of throat hit at 50.09 and 400fereinheit even though the temp doesn't even go past 267, it seems to be PERFECT with the x cube mini..
For anybody who's never tried the uwell crown coils the SS ones in temperature control on a temperature controlled device that rolls lie that, you are missing out on something absolutely amaZing.
Picture this, for those of you who are amazed and love the crown tank as much as I do, try and remember what it was like to first try this tank and experience the drastic difference in quality sub ohm vaping, now take that and DOUBLE it, that's how I can best describe what it's like to vape these bad boys in TC. I've noticed people will try and say otherwise, like TC is not for me, OR they work great in wattage mode, while they do rock my socks in wattage mode, in TC mode with the right set up(i recommend the x cube's) it does exactly that times two!!! I was literally shocked when I finally was able to get my hands on a device capable of vaping with the stock SS coils the crown tank,CAME with.
Everybody told me it wasn't that big of a difference, and that they ran just as fine with regular wattage mode, which is partly true, but these people must not have had the opportunity to try these in TEMP CONTROL MODE. Seriously, it's that good.
I vape a tremendous amount of e liquid and have several set ups, I'm sort of a hobbyiest. I've been experimenting and trying different things,trying to find the right thing for me, after a couple dozen different devices and tanks,, I think I've found my FAVORITE temperature control device and tank. The uwell crown is fantastic, I also use the Starre Freemax Pro to switch it up from time to time, but the crowns SS coils are just #1 every time, nothing else compares, where the Starre Freemax fails in consistency, the crown takes the cake. The coils last of say ATLEAST 2X as long, IF NOT MUCH more.

VU Sponsors