Become a Patron!

6 Strand Braided Ni200!

AnimeMutt

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I've recently learned the art of braiding and had an idea that I consider to be a bit nuts. Since I have a spool of 34ga Ni200 in my wire drawer, I thought I would braid it and see what happens. Well... I wrapped a 2.5 ID 7 wrap coil and installed it into my Serpent Mini, and the resistance was .12 Ohms. After wicking and a good juicing up (and a final tightening) I somehow ended up at .08 Ohms. I was a bit surprised by the drop, but it was still good.

I re-assembled the tank (leaving it on the coil tester, just to be sure) and filled that puppy up. Stuck it on my Cuboid Mini and set it for 420F. My friends... it was like I was hit by the flavor train! I've never experienced a mouth watering vape until tonight!

Has anyone else tried this? Any thoughts?

:bunny:Ni200 Braid.jpg

cynkrzy

Old Guy with a New Trick
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I want to see the coil please. Just started with twisted kanthal and an loving them, but it sounds like it can be even better

AnimeMutt

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I want to see the coil please. Just started with twisted kanthal and an loving them, but it sounds like it can be even better

The pic is of the actual coil (just before the odd resistance drop). The picture doesn't do it justice, because in person it's real purdy! It just sparkles... :)

I dropped the firing power to 45W and uppped the temp to 450 and it's even BETTER! :)

There are some great braiding tutorials on YouTube, and the 3-loop (6 strand) braid is super easy! :)

cynkrzy

Old Guy with a New Trick
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Oh, had to click the pic to see it on my phone. Dang a single coil with that resistance...is that due to the braid ? The wire, the gauge, or the combination?

I need to make me some

AnimeMutt

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Nickel has an extremely low resistance. Braiding it REALLY drops it. A similar coil made with Kanthal will have a considerably higher resistance (same gauge, ID and wraps would probably be around .6 or .7 Ohms). I regularly use 28ga Kanthal and end up with a coil of .5 - .8 Ohms (depending on the wraps and how tight the braid is).

I don't believe Steam Engine can calculate braided coils accurately because of the variables involved, although using calculations for a 6 strand twisted wire might be close. I've just been wingin' it for the most part, but I ALWAYS verify the resistance before I fire it ,even if I am using a regulated mod.

VU Sponsors