Become a Patron!

6" Wire Length Tube / Coil Storage

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I've been on the hunt for a clear plastic tube to store 5-6" wire lengths (ie Clapton wire, Fused Clapton wire, etc) without it already being done up in a coil. Or, they could be used for pre-wound coils.

LV has some for sale (x5 - 6" clear tubes) for $7.00 --- ouch

So, on the hunt went. Amazon has been the best price so far that I can find.
Tube Plastic Rnd W/flat Cap, 6 X 9/16 -20/bg -- $8.56 (at time of listing)

upload_2017-2-26_15-12-28.png

Any other input / thoughts ?

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Could you make them yourself? Go to home Depot or some other home improvement store and pick up lengths that you could cut and cap yourself. They should have some sort of plastic tubing as well as plugs to fit it.

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Could you make them yourself? Go to home Depot or some other home improvement store and pick up lengths that you could cut and cap yourself. They should have some sort of plastic tubing as well as plugs to fit it.
Good idea --- I'll dig in that direction as well.

Brad Mitchell

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I just make a loop at the end and hang them with a nail :)
I am using fishing swivels with the release clip and when I do fused claptons I do the loop method but I alway cut it to get it off the swivel. I could leave the loop in tact. Thank for the idea.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am using fishing swivels with the release clip and when I do fused claptons I do the loop method but I alway cut it to get it off the swivel. I could leave the loop in tact. Thank for the idea.
You can cut the loop near the clapton in order to release it from the swivel and end up with a hook that can still be used for hanging.

Not need for an actual loop either, bending the tip a bit more then 90° will do the trick.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
What you are looking for is test tubes with caps.

Myself, I would head to my local hardware box store, and go into the bin area for tools (where tool boxes usually are).
You can get a tube about 6 inches long, 2 or so inches diameter, with vinyl end caps. One of those will hold all the premade wires you want.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Product_b9b70b97-490a-433f-839e-9fd712c33233_xlarge.png

They look like these.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Those sort of remind me of the containers that drill bits are often stored in.
Most of the bits I have seen come in smaller tubes though, but yes, pretty similar.

I think those sell for about 5 bucks at Menards.

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Good idea, I knew I'd seen something like that elsewhere before (prior to vaping/coils). Usually what seed beads come in.

Not sure what shipping would be or if there's a cheaper supplier but they have similar here. The caps also have the style with a tab on the plug (easier to pull out of the tube). Larger quantities as well.

http://www.simplybeadsusa.com/category-s/2027.htm

So I wound up purchasing a bag of 50 from Simply Beads USA and they arrived today. These are going to work out perfectly for what I was wanting to accomplish.

IMG_20170301_213705771 (Large).jpg IMG_20170301_213726219 (Large).jpg

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Cool glad it worked out for you PhantomOp. I'll have to keep it mind, might see about getting coils made up ahead of time once my wire gets here and using those to store stuff. Anything organizational would probably be a plus. Haven't had to worry too much so far, only one mod and atty right now. Juice is starting to add up though and have a couple plastic totes (small shoebox size) full of various bottles and flavors. Kind of a pita to sift through.

Word to the wise though, be cautious when using cedar for things. Made my mom a vape stand big enough to hold a few clearos, pen batteries and several bottles of juice. Haven't sealed it yet so plan on trying that but a few of her clearo tanks have picked up a strong cedar scent/flavor. Not only that she had a soft plastic bottle of strawberry flavored juice (MBV, v3 styled plastic bottles - ldpe? not sure what they are exactly) that the cedar scent/flavor leeched through and affected the juice flavor. It wasn't even in one of the recessed holes I drilled out, just sitting on a shelf portion. Yikes lol. The stiffer clear plastic like vapewild uses are fine, they aren't tainted.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
It's not just the scent of cedar leaching into stuff, it the cedar oils from the wood. Sealing it with varnish should help, but the stink from the varnish will get on things until those smells dissipate.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Great idea phantom might look into this as well mate thanks

VU Sponsors