Become a Patron!

70 Year Old would like to try vaping Mod recomendations?

gabrielpanoussi

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I finally had a discussion with my father and now he would like to start vaping as opposed to smoking.

I need some help getting the right mod for him. He is frugal so he would like to spend about 25 to 40 dollars.

He does not do well with menus and things like that so my eleaf pico is awesome or me but not the best for him.

I am thinking something with an external 18650 variable wattage and a tank design with affordable coils. Without the confusing menus for TC or anything that will fry his coils if he accidentally places on the wrong setting.

I really want this to be a positive experience for him so any help is appreciated.

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you want simplicity and affordability, the eGo AIO 22 would likely fit the bill better than anything that takes an external 18650... 2 of 'em will fit in your budget so one can charge while the other is in use. Coils are plentiful (uses Cubis, AIO, or Mi One coils, or an RBA). They're fairly leak-proof, and easy to top fill, too. The only niggle is the childproof top...

In the same vein is the Kanger Subvod C, the Smok Stick, or the Wismec Motiv. The original eGo ONE is also very nice, but can leak on occasion, and really only performs with the CLR heads.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

gabrielpanoussi

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
If you want simplicity and affordability, the eGo AIO 22 would likely fit the bill better than anything that takes an external 18650... 2 of 'em will fit in your budget so one can charge while the other is in use. Coils are plentiful (uses Cubis, AIO, or Mi One coils, or an RBA). They're fairly leak-proof, and easy to top fill, too. The only niggle is the childproof top...

In the same vein is the Kanger Subvod C, the Smok Stick, or the Wismec Motiv. The original eGo ONE is also very nice, but can leak on occasion, and really only performs with the CLR heads.

Thank you I will check those out asap.

Discobob

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just S kit is fricken wonderful, I have been thinking about getting one for travels and mobile missions:) comes with 3 coils to start, great battery life, top fill, self contained charge and go.....

I have seen them for 30ish bucks:)

Sorry man reading further I see your looking for removable battery and variable but I still think this is the way to go and can move up from there. The least amount of maintenance helps new vapors from being frustrated, taking batteries out and changing wattages while it sounds like nothing it can shy some folk away. Nothing to adjust fill and go no batteries would be the most positive experience to start.

Hope he makes the change!!!

Last edited:

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sorry, I should have read better.
I doubt that'd be anything he'd want.
Simplistic - yes.
But the Big baby Beast - more than likely not.

gabrielpanoussi

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I think that the external 18650 may be a bad idea now that I think about it. He would have to incvest another 5 to 10 bucks for a battery ontop of the mod and tank.

Plus if something does go wrong with the mod defective or he drops it ... yea he will have a battery he can use but he will have to buy the replacement mod. So battery and mod combo for 20 seems to make more sense.

Now the only question is internal tank or 510 thread replaceable. Given that he would carry it hopefully with him as a permanent replacement to analog cigs I think that an internal tank would be best to prevent any juice leaks. That being said that Eleaf iJust S Kit looks pretty sweet but so does the integrated tank design on the eGo AIO 22.

gabrielpanoussi

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I just S kit is fricken wonderful, I have been thinking about getting one for travels and mobile missions:) comes with 3 coils to start, great battery life, top fill, self contained charge and go.....

I have seen them for 30ish bucks:)

Sorry man reading further I see your looking for removable battery and variable but I still think this is the way to go and can move up from there. The least amount of maintenance helps new vapors from being frustrated, taking batteries out and changing wattages while it sounds like nothing it can shy some folk away. Nothing to adjust fill and go no batteries would be the most positive experience to start.

Hope he makes the change!!!

I agree. I was thinking more of what I would want rather than what would be best or him. Thanks your post cleared my head a bit.

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

gabrielpanoussi

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
To be honest there is a better selection IF you wanted to go with a single 18650 mod. But then you get abit more complicated

It is a hard choice. If it was for me an external is a must. I think the mod would always outlive the battery. Not to mention it is a damn shame to throw away a mod just because the battery is skunked, that logic seems wasteful.

But I wonder what would be best for him. I have to vape on it... lol

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It is a hard choice. If it was for me an external is a must. I think the mod would always outlive the battery. Not to mention it is a damn shame to throw away a mod just because the battery is skunked, that logic seems wasteful.

But I wonder what would be best for him. I have to vape on it... lol
Typically, you are correct... a mod will outlast a battery. Now, consider that a typical Li Ion battery is good for around 300 cycles. If the mod is charged daily, that's nearly 1 year of use. The ability to drop in a primed coil, fill a tank, press a button, and go versus charging a battery, properly storing a battery, installing a battery, and adjusting a mod to suit the coil... for someone just starting, it can be overwhelming. We regularly see people come in and buy a pen, then upgrade to something like the Kanger Subvod C, then no further upgrades until the mod fails almost a year later.

That's a long way around saying when starting, simple is better. Upgrades can come when needed...

gabrielpanoussi

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
on average what can he expect on battery life? 1 year? Less? Based on say 2 charges a day? Are they rated at 600 charge cycles?

gabrielpanoussi

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Typically, you are correct... a mod will outlast a battery. Now, consider that a typical Li Ion battery is good for around 300 cycles. If the mod is charged daily, that's nearly 1 year of use. The ability to drop in a primed coil, fill a tank, press a button, and go versus charging a battery, properly storing a battery, installing a battery, and adjusting a mod to suit the coil... for someone just starting, it can be overwhelming. We regularly see people come in and buy a pen, then upgrade to something like the Kanger Subvod C, then no further upgrades until the mod fails almost a year later.

That's a long way around saying when starting, simple is better. Upgrades can come when needed...

That answers my question and yet again I am thinking the built in battery is best for him. If a year or so later he wants to upgrade great. Thanks!

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
on average what can he expect on battery life? 1 year? Less? Based on say 2 charges a day? Are they rated at 600 charge cycles?
Just 300 cycles, typically... that's kinda why I suggested 2... 2 mods would easily last 1 year by charging one while using the other.

Another consideration is the usage itself... if the device is used like a cigarette... that is to say a dozen puffs an hour like a cigarette break... it will last longer than a device used constantly like a pacifier...

kevinjp

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Honestly having parents that age KISS is probably best.
Istick or Endura would be what I'd get my Father if he was still smoking

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
All the best to your dad with vaping, and to you for helping him. It really IS possible to teach an old dog new tricks, and there are a lot of us old dogs around here to prove it. :giggle:

:hug:
Andria

gabrielpanoussi

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
All the best to your dad with vaping, and to you for helping him. It really IS possible to teach an old dog new tricks, and there are a lot of us old dogs around here to prove it. :giggle:

:hug:
Andria
Thank you very much. I am excited I would love for him to stop or even reduce his cigs.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Thank you very much. I am excited I would love for him to stop or even reduce his cigs.

Yeah, even making a reduction is harm reduction -- I didn't quit all at once, I was too skeptical after too many failed attempts, so I still had a smoke now and then, when I first started vaping. I just stopped enjoying them as much, and the longer I vaped, the more I noticed that, until I finally just asked myself why I was still bothering with cigarettes, since my vape tasted better, gave me better throat hit, and didn't make me stink -- and didn't force me to go outside, either! Plus I loved the massive $$$ savings, the fewer cigarettes I bought.

I started getting my sense of smell back when I was down to <5 cigarettes a day, and that actually helped, since I could really smell how bad the cigarettes smelled to everyone else -- like my husband, a non-smoker. :) I can't really recommend that someone just drop cigarettes like a hot rock; to me that seems like a recipe for failure, though some have been able to do it... but the longer one vapes, and really tries to replace smoking with vaping, the more appealing the vape becomes, and the less appealing the cigarettes are. I never had any intention of quitting smoking... but after a month of vaping, I really had very little interest in continuing to smoke... Vaping was just BETTER. :)

Andria

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Might look into the Wismec MyJet. Easy, cigarette style draw. No button to hit at all, can fill cartridges with your own liquid out but them prefilled. It charges o.k. it's own usb base and I believe the coils are cheap. And if you are a diy guy, there are videos on how to rebuild the coils pretty easily for him too.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

gabrielpanoussi

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ok so after talking it over with my father, he says he wants one with an external battery. I figure he will just keep the battery in the device and charge it through the device so he will never really need to take it out for any reason. The search continues. Thinking maybe the Joyetech eGo AIO Pro.

I want to read the reviews on that one I heard about lots of spit back from Joytech but that is nothing an angled drip tip won't fix.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Thanks he could not pass it up based on price alone. Figure he will try this one and see where it goes.
might as well get 2 so you have a backup when one charges. it's really good for a starter vape pen. I have 1 i use as a stealth vape and i gave 2 away one to my mom and 1 to a friend to get them off smoking. at that price it made sense to order a few lol

gabrielpanoussi

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
might as well get 2 so you have a backup when one charges. it's really good for a starter vape pen. I have 1 i use as a stealth vape and i gave 2 away one to my mom and 1 to a friend to get them off smoking. at that price it made sense to order a few lol

Question on this though other than the vaporcube website is there other sites that sell the coils for this tank?

aoxomoxoa1825

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
i think that is much safer and much easier considering i just had a close call my self that was all because of faulty gear not even bad practice. If he really wants to I am sure he can still switch batteries ( possibly w a little solder skill) if that one bunks out.

gabrielpanoussi

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Right on thanks guys and gals! Now off to tpa to get some Tobacco concentrates for some mixes or him. I still amazed this was 10.45 with shipping. Thanks again SirRichardRear for that awesome find. He basically said if he likes it he is willing to get more advanced gear when the time comes. I am at static that he is even willing to try. I worry about him 70 years old quad bi-pass, hernias, history of high blood pressure family history of cancer and heart attack. In fact everyone of my aunts and uncles on my fathers side has died of either heart attack or cancer.

I told him he will never have to pay for juice as I got him covered. He really liked that idea.

aoxomoxoa1825

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
just a heads up "natural" tobacco flavors are steeped with real tobacco and carry the same risks, just to a slightly lower degree

gabrielpanoussi

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
just a heads up "natural" tobacco flavors are steeped with real tobacco and carry the same risks, just to a slightly lower degree

Right on good to know.

I tried a product called Mr. Vapor Real Deal when I first started and it was not really tobacco but a tobacco spicy smoky flavor much like unburned sweet cigar. I may go that route for him. Hard to pick one there are so many with TPA alone. Not to mention blending flavors to add dimension. I am going to have fun baking batches for him and having him test with feedback.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am 62 and off 40 yrs of cigs for 2 years.
My recommendation is the Istick Basic.
Discreet and pocket friendly. Just push button to operate.
A battery charge lasts most of the day.

Most older guys do not want to start out with a big highly visible mod and unless he is tech savy then the menus and such will be a pain.
Try one if he likes it order another one.
The coils last well in the little GS Air 2 tank.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I am 62 and off 40 yrs of cigs for 2 years.
My recommendation is the Istick Basic.
Discreet and pocket friendly. Just push button to operate.
A battery charge lasts most of the day.

Most older guys do not want to start out with a big highly visible mod and unless he is tech savy then the menus and such will be a pain.
Try one if he likes it order another one.
The coils last well in the little GS Air 2 tank.

You're only 62? Hellfire, I thought you were an old fart. My husband is 64! :giggle:

Andria

gabrielpanoussi

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So we ended up getting 2 of the Hohm skillets. I have to say it is a decent device. Battery life is good. Large easy to fill top fill tank. No leaks at all in my use. The negatives are that I can really taste the cotton. I primed and waited on my first pull a good 10 min.ess The cotton taste has not gone away with seasoning. The is much less flavor than my milo tank. Chain vaping does not seem to affect anything. I get that cotton taste on puff one. Maybe the small juice holes maybe just the design of the tank I dont know.

For 6.99 I am not complaining. It is a great thing to take with me on a quick run. I put the ohm skillet tank on my pico and there was no change in flavor. Too bad. I put my melo on the ohm skillet mod and it fired it up. Barely but it worked. Flavor was muted. Hohm battery is stronger than I expected. I did not think it would have enough umph to fire the melo but it did.

As far as dad goes. this one maybe too much for him. I am going to start him on my el cheapo smok pen economizer. lol.

OhmzRaw

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So we ended up getting 2 of the Hohm skillets. I have to say it is a decent device. Battery life is good. Large easy to fill top fill tank. No leaks at all in my use. The negatives are that I can really taste the cotton. I primed and waited on my first pull a good 10 min.ess The cotton taste has not gone away with seasoning. The is much less flavor than my milo tank. Chain vaping does not seem to affect anything. I get that cotton taste on puff one. Maybe the small juice holes maybe just the design of the tank I dont know.

For 6.99 I am not complaining. It is a great thing to take with me on a quick run. I put the ohm skillet tank on my pico and there was no change in flavor. Too bad. I put my melo on the ohm skillet mod and it fired it up. Barely but it worked. Flavor was muted. Hohm battery is stronger than I expected. I did not think it would have enough umph to fire the melo but it did.

As far as dad goes. this one maybe too much for him. I am going to start him on my el cheapo smok pen economizer. lol.
Agreed. This will be the best option for someone looking to start vaping. I don't think cigarette smokers like direct lung hits which the ijust device is. They prefer MTL and then after a while become comfortable with DL. If they start with DL they will most likely cough with every puff.

This is just my opinion, some people can start with DL but with older folks MTL is the preferred option.

VU Sponsors