Become a Patron!

9-year-old sent to hospital after drinking 'Unicorn Milk' e-cigarette fluid

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/unicorn-milk-vapour-e-cigarettes-1.4137455

Manufacturer considers changing label, but says it was not intended to attract children
By Viola Pruss, CBC News Posted: May 30, 2017 7:07 PM AT Last Updated: May 30, 2017 10:02 PM AT

lea-l-hoir.JPG

Lea L'Hoir says she wants other parents to hear about her daughter's experience after the nine-year-old found a bottle of Unicorn Milk vapour fluid in the school playground and gave it a try. (CBC)

A nine-year-old girl in Fredericton was taken to hospital Monday after drinking an e-cigarette fluid called Unicorn Milk she found on her school's playground.

The Grade 5 student at École des Bâtisseurs and her friends all tasted drops from a vial of the concentrated nicotine, which is used for electronic vaping of cigarettes, said her mother, Lea L'Hoir.

The children were tempted to try the strawberry-flavoured fluid because it smelled good, and a brightly coloured unicorn decorated the container, L'Hoir told CBC News.

"They decided to taste it and after that, my daughter wasn't feeling too good," she said, adding her daughter also put some of the liquid on her hand.

Nicotine poisoning

nb-sot-vape-drinkers-mom_2500kbps_852x480_956260931764.jpg

Mother "horrified" after child consumes vapour fluid found on school grounds

00:00 00:54

Mother "horrified" after child consumes vapour fluid found on school grounds0:54

L'Hoir said the school contacted her after the children brought the bottle to their teacher, who then notified the school's director.

When her daughter started complaining about nausea, chest cramps and dizziness, L'Hoir picked her up and brought her home.

At first, she thought ingesting the liquid would have been similar to eating a small piece of a cigarette, she said.

But then she Googled the effects of ingesting concentrated nicotine and called 811, the number for Tele-Care New Brunswick.

If ingested in too great amounts, concentrated nicotine can kill you, L'Hoir said.

She took her daughter to the hospital, where she was diagnosed with nicotine poisoning and released later that night.

"I didn't sleep, I didn't sleep last night," L'Hoir said. "I was completely horrified that she could have passed away, maybe if she had taken, you know, more of the bottle."

Her daughter felt better Tuesday, but L'Hoir said she wanted other parents to know about the experience. They need to be warned that their children, too, might be tempted by a sweet-smelling liquid in a bottle imprinted with a unicorn.

L'Hoir said she was shocked to see the Unicorn Milk container did not mention anything about the liquid's actual use, and information about its ingredients was in small print, she said. There was, however, a small poison symbol on the side of the vial.

Candy-theme popular

nb-sot-vape-shop-owner_2500kbps_852x480_956263491957.jpg

Vape shop owner doesn't believe product marketed to children

00:00 00:56

Vape shop owner doesn't believe product marketed to children0:56

Trevor Bostick, who owns New Beginnings Vape Studio in Fredericton, which also manufactures Unicorn Milk, said the company will consider changing the label in light of what happened.

He said the product was never designed to attract the attention of children. There are many older people who find candy-themed products appealing, Bostick said.

"We put a lot of thought into it," he said. "If we have to pull that because people decide that it is a draw for kids, then we'll pull it."

He said the Unicorn Milk label was launched two weeks ago in response to a popular, rainbow-coloured drink now sold at the Starbucks Coffee chain.

The vapour fluid has been a hit, Bostick said, and the company is getting calls from all over to supply it — to shops in Nova Scotia, Saskatchewan and P.E.I.

He added his company supports stricter government guidelines on labelling and vapour-fluid production.

Legislation needed
anthony-knight-nb-medical-society.jpg

Anthony Knight, CEO of the New Brunswick Medical Society, says it's troubling e-vaping products are designed and marketed to appeal to young people. (CBC)

Anthony Knight, CEO of the New Brunswick Medical Society, said it's troubling that e-vaping products might be designed and marketed to appeal to young people.

"That speaks to a need for tougher regulation and tougher oversight around how these products are marketed and that oversight rests with government," he said.

"In cases like this where there are risks to the public and unknown risks to the health of individuals … then steps need to be taken."

Health Canada doesn't regulate the labelling of vape products yet, but steps were taken to ban the sale of these products to people under 18, he said. There are also restrictions about vaping in public places, similar to other tobacco products.

A federal bill that would regulate the manufacture, sale and labelling of vaping products awaits approval in the Senate. The legislation would new restrict certain flavours that appeal to youth and insist on child-resistant packaging to help protect children from nicotine poisoning.

Could happen again, mom says
candy-flavoured-vapour.jpg

Health Canada doesn’t regulate the labelling of vaping products yet. (CBC)

L'Hoir also called for a tough labelling law.

She said the doctor at the hospital was upset that nine-year-olds would taste something they found on the ground, L'Hoir says it could easily to happen again.

When she showed the Unicorn Milk bottle to her colleagues, their reaction was similar to her daughter's.

"They say 'What is it, is it a candy, is it good?'

"We shouldn't allow a product like that to have this type of attractive drawing. Maybe the smell is OK, but the drawing is not correct."

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Child proof caps would go a long way. U have many that twist off far too easy. I keep all my stuff way high up and tall to my kids daily about how it's not candy and to stay away from it. Education goes a long ways.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If I'm correct we only sell juice that has child proof caps. At least it used to be that way with us.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
By the time my kids were 9, they knew enough to know not to put random shit in their mouths.
LMAO true, but to be fair you get a bunch of kids around each other and dares and peer pressure comes into play and they do stupid shit. Hell we were all kids that did stupid shit at one point or another

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thinking about it.....when I was 9....that age is beyond a toddler type fidget to get a cap off, that being said , I still think that the juice makers should come up with a way to make these juices appear more oriented in names and packaging to the adult, and stop trying to come off as luring kids, I do think a bit of regulation on this would help with that.

CrazyCatLady

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I agree with the child proof caps and education. But why are e-liquid manufacturers using cartoon characters? To me, that increases the ammunition that anti-vapors can throw at us. To "them", it can "prove" that the vaping industry is targeting children. I'm all for candy flavors and such (my personal preference), but I don't see why the labels need to look like they belong in a candy store. I realize it's marketing, but what kind of image are we trying to portray?

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
So what about all these? I did a search for alcohol for beginners? Are they not seducing the kids too? Seems it would be easier for these to be over dosed for the little ones... But no, alcoholism and the drinking and getting drunk are part of the "american way" Mamas white wine day and daddys beer all day is "good ole american" fun, no its our right . But vaping is evil.

smirnoff-webcover-APRL10-3.jpg

breezer.jpg

smirnoff-8d42e9b5.jpeg

hard-soda.jpeg

103420411-Hard_Cherry.530x298.jpg

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Childlike seems to be the marketing trend. Ads for cars with "kid" sales people, little kid narrators for all sorts of products and services.

I would even get into the cosmetic ads and most adverts geared to women, all with little kid voices, saying buy this....

What does this say to me as a consumer? Well, maybe Im weird, but Im insulted that they think they have to sell me cars, electronics, insurance at a level of a child. Do they think we as consumers are so simple minded and and ignorant that we have to have a child sell me something?

Puff

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Childlike seems to be the marketing trend. Ads for cars with "kid" sales people, little kid narrators for all sorts of products and services.

I would even get into the cosmetic ads and most adverts geared to women, all with little kid voices, saying buy this....

What does this say to me as a consumer? Well, maybe Im weird, but Im insulted that they think they have to sell me cars, electronics, insurance at a level of a child. Do they think we as consumers are so simple minded and and ignorant that we have to have a child sell me something?
Bingo my feelings too...

Sent from my LG-V930 using Tapatalk

kiba

Member For 4 Years
Kids should have enough common sense to not put something on the ground in their mouth, parents have the responsibility of teaching their kids that common sense and not blaming it on others, what if she found a used syringe? Is she going to play doctor with the other kids? It's just easier to blame bc there's actually a clear person to point the finger at... but at the same time, this is the exact type of shitshow we kept saying would happen if they kept labeling these things that way.

And tbh I've seen way worse, there are ones at my local vape shop that look like freaking Capri sun.

Puff

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Kids should have enough common sense to not put something on the ground in their mouth, parents have the responsibility of teaching their kids that common sense and not blaming it on others, what if she found a used syringe? Is she going to play doctor with the other kids? It's just easier to blame bc there's actually a clear person to point the finger at... but at the same time, this is the exact type of shitshow we kept saying would happen if they kept labeling these things that way.

And tbh I've seen way worse, there are ones at my local vape shop that look like freaking Capri sun.
I agree my children learned at a young age if they find something show it to Mom Or Dad and never ever be afraid to do that. However I really dislike all this new marketing with all the pictures, this Industry does not need more weight on its shoulders over Stupid Marketing on labels, I really wish they all would stop this.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Jesus!!
That stupid daffy cunt needs her reproductive organs ripped out and her remaining kids made wards of the state. She failed at being a parent let alone a human being, going to be real shocked if her kids plays in some ebola patient's shit.
It is OBVIOUS she is too god damned stupid to breed but then she did, releasing equally stupid as fuck offspring on the world and a future drag on society.

So it is eliquid BFD, it could have been a needle with a loaded speed ball, a crack pipe or a fucking white dog shit.... and that retarded crotch spawn put it in her fucking mouth.

WE need to weed these fucking low rent morons the fuck out of society.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
The juice could have been in a bottle shaped like a dog turd and if left laying around at the playground a child would have picked it up and played with it.

There is a federal law requiring certain types of child proof bottles in the United States.

Plus it's up to you to make sure your kids are safe at the park.
If this were in Baltimore were I grew up it would have been kids playing with a fucking needle that some hepatitis ridden junkie would have discarded after shooting up.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Jesus!!
That stupid daffy cunt needs her reproductive organs ripped out and her remaining kids made wards of the state. She failed at being a parent let alone a human being, going to be real shocked if her kids plays in some ebola patient's shit.
It is OBVIOUS she is too god damned stupid to breed but then she did, releasing equally stupid as fuck offspring on the world and a future drag on society.

So it is eliquid BFD, it could have been a needle with a loaded speed ball, a crack pipe or a fucking white dog shit.... and that retarded crotch spawn put it in her fucking mouth.

WE need to weed these fucking low rent morons the fuck out of society.

Looks like we basically felt the same way about this one.

Puff

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Another point that bothers me is if my 9 year old child in 5th grade could not read enough on that bottle to know I better not open this I would be looking for a new School.. That is just my opinion right or wrong the kid should of been able to read.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Damn, I just noticed the whole "9 years old" thing.

This was no toddler this was a kid that could read.

Notice how "Mom" is holding the bottle just right for the camera so you can't see the back which is no doubt plastered with warnings and nicotine levels.

I'd have to say this juice would be 6mg tops maybe 12mg if someone had it specially made just for them.

The thing about eliquid is it either has barely any nicotine and tastes only half bad or it's 6mg and up and tastes like complete and utter shit.

My guess is mom went on the internet and convinced the child that she had all the symptoms of nicotine poisoning.

Kids have a way of telling their parents everything and anything they want to hear once they figure out they did something stupid and may be in trouble.

So if mom is in your face yelling "you have chest pains don't you? I bet you feel dizzy and light headed right?" chances are you understand that telling her yes lessens your chance of punishment.

How come the other kids that were there playing with the juice didn't have all these crazy problems and just this kid did?

Maybe Mom smells money because this happened on school grounds and the other parents aren't sue happy assholes.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Another point that bothers me is if my 9 year old child in 5th grade could not read enough on that bottle to know I better not open this I would be looking for a new School.. That is just my opinion right or wrong the kid should of been able to read.

Looks like you noticed the same thing i just did. :)

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
In another five to ten years this kid will fail at teaching her own kid not to be picking shit up off the playground and eating it.

One would figure that a K - 5 school would be paying someone to check the playground for shit like this every morning.

I know there is a guy like that on my old neighborhood and if he wasn't there a bunch of kids would have already stuck one another with needles.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Antifreeze doesn't come in a pretty bottle, yet how many dinkus brats land in the emergency room after drinking it? I do NOT understand why any kid over the age of two would randomly put any "found" object in their mouth. My kid understood from the get go that if mommy doesn't give it to you, it is not food.

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
She said the doctor at the hospital was upset that nine-year-olds would taste something they found on the ground, L'Hoir says it could easily to happen again.

If you think it could easily happen again then you have a really dumbass kid here. Or a poster child for why every parent probably shouldn't be a parent. It's lucky we breed so easily because some parents can't teach a 9 year old the basics about how to not kill themselves. The regulation that needs to be enacted here is for stricter parenting controls. Some people really do need to stick a cork in it.

Last edited:

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Antifreeze doesn't come in a pretty bottle, yet how many dinkus brats land in the emergency room after drinking it? I do NOT understand why any kid over the age of two would randomly put any "found" object in their mouth. My kid understood from the get go that if mommy doesn't give it to you, it is not food.

Laundry soap pods. Magnetic balls. Coins. Etc. The list goes on.

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
She's so concerned about her child being poisoned that she brings the kid home first. Then realizes that isn't a great strategy to get her face in the press and only then an emergency room visit is in order. Parent needs to take a course in how ambulance chasing works and save time for parenting classes in the process.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
She's so concerned about her child being poisoned that she brings the kid home first. Then after searching online realizes that you can sue people for this.

I fixed it for you :)

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
She's so concerned about her child being poisoned that she brings the kid home first. Then realizes that isn't a great strategy to get her face in the press and only then an emergency room visit is in order. Parent needs to take a course in how ambulance chasing works and save time for parenting classes in the process.

Of course she took her home first. Needed time to school her on how to act sick.

kiba

Member For 4 Years
My cat is a fraction of the size and has licked up juice off the ground while I'm mixing/filling before I could wipe it up. First time that happened I freaked out & watched her carefully for like an hour but she was fine & I vape 10mg, not only that I regularly get 100mg nic base on my hands without even noticing... I'm betting this stuff was 3mg like all other vape shop juice.

Puff

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Most likely it was 6 mg or under.

Puff

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Some good points mentioned why were the other children not taken to the hospital. I believe I read they all tasted it.

kittyn

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Eh, I googled. Shops house blends go up to 18mg, and as I'm the kind of idiot who licks things that drip onto my hand, yeah, I can say 18mg can make your stomach upset. It takes a fair bit for my used to nicotine adult self to have issues, but a kid would notice it faster. I'll believe that bit. Especially when 'hey, I don't feel so great' gets you out of class for the rest of the day

But kid is 9. She knows better. Kid was AT FRIGGIN SCHOOL, why in the world were they unsupervised enough for this to even be an issue, regardless? Heck, when adults were informed none of them thought to figure out what multiple students apparently ingested from mystery playground bottle?! And why was this mom given the bottle instead of it being kept by school/hospital?

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
A 9 year old guzzles ejuice?

At 9 years old I was trusted to go Squirrel Hunting with a .22 Rifle by myself. Sure, I did stupid shit as a kid, we all did. But a 9 year old getting so sick off of ejuice he needed to be rushed to the ER? I smoked a pilfered Swisher Sweet at 9 years old and puked my guts out for 10 minutes.

Something does not smell right about this situation, perhaps a lawyer and $$ are involved.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Eh, I googled. Shops house blends go up to 18mg, and as I'm the kind of idiot who licks things that drip onto my hand, yeah, I can say 18mg can make your stomach upset. It takes a fair bit for my used to nicotine adult self to have issues, but a kid would notice it faster. I'll believe that bit. Especially when 'hey, I don't feel so great' gets you out of class for the rest of the day

But kid is 9. She knows better. Kid was AT FRIGGIN SCHOOL, why in the world were they unsupervised enough for this to even be an issue, regardless? Heck, when adults were informed none of them thought to figure out what multiple students apparently ingested from mystery playground bottle?! And why was this mom given the bottle instead of it being kept by school/hospital?
exactly. Why was the Mom given supposed "evidence" during a medical crisis?

housedag

Member For 4 Years
This is also a very timely news story as Canada's Vaping Laws are currently being written and reviewed by the Federal Government.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
guess its safe to aussume which mom let her kid play with the cat shit in the sand box at the play ground from that news story

Hey, nothing wrong with cat shit. My older son ate cat shit out of the litter box, including litter stuck to it, when he was a toddler. After that, I never worried about him putting shit in his mouth. If he survived that unharmed, he could survive almost anything. :giggle::giggle::giggle:

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I bet I could find a small metal object and an outlet for her special football bat fuck trophy to play Christmas tree with.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
yeah don't stress it Mom...just wait till your darling daughter comes home with a case of the clap when she's 13...by all signs your parenting skills almost ensure it will happen. or maybe you should just buy your kid the occasional candy bar so she doesn't stick everything she finds on the ground in her mouth...I have to agree the woman is an imbecile for making a fuss over this....her kid faces far more dangers in this world than her habit of snacking out of dumpsters.

Rabbit Slayer

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Wow, people don't teach their children NOT to put stuff they find in their mouth?!?!? Pretty sure my parents broke me of that habit by the time I was 3 or 4

VU Sponsors