TW Tom

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
e-cigarette-tax-e1459759721393-150x150.jpg

92% Tax on Vaping Proposed in Vermont
This entry was posted on 4th April 2016 by admin.

A proposed 92% wholesale tax on e-cigarettes and e-liquid would see the price of e-liquid rocket from $20 to $40 a bottle in Vermont.

Many believe it would decimate the e-cig retail industry and put people out of work.

At least so argue those against this proposed bill and unbelievable tax. Taxing at this rate would see e-cigarettes taxed in the same manner as tobacco, which is something many legislators appear.... Vendor link removed

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
How about a link to the actual Government proposal for this taxation?

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The link goes to Totally Wicked and I would love to see the Official Government proposal. That is why I entered a POLITE Request for one. I did not say it was or not factual.

TW Tom

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Hi Steve, Thanks for pointing this out. Here is the link to the proposed bill I have also amended the original text.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Thanks! And no problem at all! I wasn't making any accusations just looking for some concrete information. I am looking but do not see do you know where the Bill is on the site?

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have removed the vendor site link as well, even though it blogs the story, it takes to your vendor site.

well at least the NHS is making noises like they support vaping or at least seeing something positive about it..whereas here in America the goverment is on a full blown fear mongering science denying warpath.

:D Yea, the NHS is quite good.. I can understand why they want to support / see the positives. It costs the NHS a lot of money! In the UK we also have stop smoking clinics... free nicotine products etc.

Hence why there is a high tax on smoking, it costs them a lot. But if they tax vaping? Well, what is the justification. Tax tax tax.

I don't understand why the american government would be restrictive and crazy because of the above..

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just waiting for them to tax it in the UK to a silly amount..
Oh, they will. I have found that governments both national and local will tax anything they can get away with and push the limits of peoples political tolerance. An example where I live is that the state tried to add a 60% tax to the cost of a Fishing license supposedly to cover the administration of the new automated Fishing License registration system. They pushed too far and a rebellion and grass roots campaign ensued costing a Natural Resources commissioner her job. The tax was removed.

That will never happen for vaping because of the concept of "Sin Tax".

Oh, they will. I have found that governments both national and local will tax anything they can get away with and push the limits of peoples political tolerance. An example where I live is that the state tried to add a 60% tax to the cost of a Fishing license supposedly to cover the administration of the new automated Fishing License registration system. They pushed too far and a rebellion and grass roots campaign ensued costing a Natural Resources commissioner her job. The tax was removed.

That will never happen for vaping because of the concept of "Sin Tax".

The funny thing is I understand TAX - Without it we would be left standing on thin ice in the UK, but... Taxing vaping would just be xD So counter productive based on the justification on why ciggerates are so heaviy taxed. Although I was reading somewhere...

We pay say 10 billion extra in tax for smoking (or something crazy) but it only costs the NHS 2 billion.. So ^.^ You are very right! Suppose addicts are easy to target xD

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Suppose addicts are easy to target
That's not the primary determining factor. Try taxing coffee or caffeine like that and see what happens. The size of the group about to taxed and whether they're capable of mounting meaningful political opposition has a lot to do with it too. Nicotine addicts are now 20% or less of the population so the other 80% think that taxing us will mean less tax burden on them. It's not much different than how the bottom 90% of income earners gets away with having the top 10% pay 70% of all income taxes.

That's not the primary determining factor. Try taxing coffee or caffeine like that and see what happens. The size of the group about to taxed and whether they're capable of mounting meaningful political opposition has a lot to do with it too. Nicotine addicts are now 20% or less of the population so the other 80% think that taxing us will mean less tax burden on them. It's not much different than how the bottom 90% of income earners gets away with having the top 10% pay 70% of all income taxes.

In the UK, they are proposing a sugar tax! Utterly mental.

VU Sponsors