Become a Patron!

A few quick safety questions

Fudgey Finger

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If I do not have an atomizer connected to my series box and I press the fire button, will this create a short? I assume no because without anything screwed into the 510 the circuit is broken, but I just want to double check.

With my VC Stratus series box, if I were to switch the orientation of the batteries, would this be a problem? As it is the positive is up on the atty side and negative up on the switch side. I wouldn't switch them because the orientation of the vent holes, but I have been taking both cells out at the same time when I replace them and I was curious what would happen if I accidentally swapped the orientation. If I accidentally put them both in positive up it would make it go boom right? What if I put them in series but on opposite sides?

My last question is, if I were to cause a short in the atomizer would I have any kind of warning or a possible misfire before the was a battery failure? I have shorted my atomizers on my regulated mods before so this makes me kind of nervous. Is it like "click, boom!" instantly vent or worse, or would it be more likely that I would misfire or notice the cells heating up quickly?

I'm sure that worst case scenario thermal runaway could happen instantly given the right circumstances and a dead short, but realistically if I am paying attention there will probably be warning signs if there is something not right wouldn't there be?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thermal runaway will not happen instantly. Fairly fast maybe in a worst case scenario but not instantly.
If you atty is shorted it should not fire up correctly.
Most blow yer face off events seem to happen when someone keeps trying to fire a mech when it will not fire.

If you mech does not fire do NOT keep trying to fire it figure out what is wrong.

Fudgey Finger

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thermal runaway will not happen instantly. Fairly fast maybe in a worst case scenario but not instantly.
If you atty is shorted it should not fire up correctly.
Most blow yer face off events seem to happen when someone keeps trying to fire a mech when it will not fire.

If you mech does not fire do NOT keep trying to fire it figure out what is wrong.
That's what I've gathered but I wanted to make sure.

What happens if I were to swap the orientation of the cells around? I know that you can do this with tubes but I'm not sure about a serial box.

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Swapping cells around is not a good idea but may not be an issue in most serial boxes. But may be depending on the contact design, etc.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Attention to detail is the main thing when using mech mods. Just one instance of carelessness and you might be a blow yer face off type.
However this is not as likely with box mech at all. tube mechs build pressure box mods just vent out the side door usually.

You would just spew fire and burn yer house down or set yerself on fire, etc.

Fudgey Finger

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
However this is not as likely with box mech at all. tube mechs build pressure box mods just vent out the side door usually.

My box doesn't have doors but has screw in caps on the bottom.

Just one instance of carelessness and you might be a blow yer face off type.

This doesn't really seem to jive with what you said 2 comments before, or maybe I'm misunderstanding you. I do try to pay close attention, but I'm only human. I want to really understand where the potential dangers can come from so that I can watch for them, without watching for bad things that can't possibly happen.

I was hoping someone could respond to the question of what is happening if I throw the fire button with no atty attached. The circuit is broken without something screwed into the 510 right?

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well the Stratus doesn't use a hybrid top cap so yeah, the circuit is broken if no atomizer is screwed onto it. That is, unless of course maybe if a tiny piece of stray wire had flown into the 510 unnoticed, but then again you would have to be pretty stupid for a thing like that to go unnoticed.

That said, install your batteries the correct way, and verify that you are doing everything completely right so that you'll grow a strict habit out of never fucking stuff up. If you do that, I promise you'll live longer, and, if you don't do that, then at least be sure you don't cause an accident whilst you cease to be.

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
a good thing to remember about mech mod safety is that if it doesnt fire (with batteries in, atty on etc) then stop trying to fire it, take it apart and figure out why its not working. also, when you get a new mech mod, before you start using it, learn how it works (mechanically) and figure out the absolute fastest way you can shut it off in the event of a switch getting stuck 'on' or similar. some tubes twist opened in the middle, some boxes have battery doors that eject the batteries (hog v3), other mods can only be quickly disabled by removing the atty (which will be hot as fuck in a stuck switch situation, so plan to cover your hand with your coat/shirt/sleeve/some insulator). always have a plan though, no matter what.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
a good thing to remember about mech mod safety is that if it doesnt fire (with batteries in, atty on etc) then stop trying to fire it, take it apart and figure out why its not working. also, when you get a new mech mod, before you start using it, learn how it works (mechanically) and figure out the absolute fastest way you can shut it off in the event of a switch getting stuck 'on' or similar. some tubes twist opened in the middle, some boxes have battery doors that eject the batteries (hog v3), other mods can only be quickly disabled by removing the atty (which will be hot as fuck in a stuck switch situation, so plan to cover your hand with your coat/shirt/sleeve/some insulator). always have a plan though, no matter what.
Or keep a pan of kitty litter handy?

hellcatrydr

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A home can be anything you live in.
I would hate to burn my cave down.

I thought your cave was fireproof... :)

free-hugs-here.jpg

VU Sponsors