Become a Patron!

A good first mod

Loki

Member For 2 Years
I am new to the vaping scene and dont know much from one brand to the next.... except for Smok. I definitely am not intrested in another smok product. But i am looking at getting a mod kit to learn the ropes and controls of what a real mod can do.

I have a smok stick one basic and a smok Prince stick and the prince stick has put me off smok products.

I am looking for a easy to use device, preferably has internal batterys, a clean design.... and affordable (say $50 as a starting point). Dont know if it makes much of a difference but i would like for it to be a kit. Basically buy this add juice and enjoy.

Again i dont know what brands are out there to start and i dont know what brands are good, bad or avoid at all costs!

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I have quite a few mods. IMO, the best one I have is the Smoant Charon 218W. It's sturdy, screen is easy to read, battery door stays on
and feels great in my hand. Favorite Sub ohm tank is the Crown 3 if you don't want to build.
They Smoants and Crown 3 tanks are cheap at Fasttech at the moment with a few colors to choose from. However, depending where you live, it can take a couple of weeks to receive them.
In my experience, stay away from Smok mods. Had a couple of Alien 220's fail on me within 6 months and just last night a friend had his G Priv quit.
Many members here seem to have good luck with the Smok's but I have not.
I stopped at a local Vape shop in Chicago a few months ago because I ran out of juice. While they were making it up, I noticed a large basket filled with broken mods. The shop keeps them in case they can use parts from them. I dug through the basket and most of them were Smok mods.
So you decide.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I am new to the vaping scene and dont know much from one brand to the next.... except for Smok. I definitely am not intrested in another smok product. But i am looking at getting a mod kit to learn the ropes and controls of what a real mod can do.

I have a smok stick one basic and a smok Prince stick and the prince stick has put me off smok products.

I am looking for a easy to use device, preferably has internal batterys, a clean design.... and affordable (say $50 as a starting point). Dont know if it makes much of a difference but i would like for it to be a kit. Basically buy this add juice and enjoy.

Again i dont know what brands are out there to start and i dont know what brands are good, bad or avoid at all costs!
It would help to know, whether you prefer mouth to lounge (MTL) hits, or direct to lounge (DL). It would help in limiting the kit, that would be suitable to your needs/preference.

kascro

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Here i vape and type, my first mod made me quit cigs. Setup is as follows:
Mod: Eleaf pico dual (x2 HG2 batt)
Atty: Eleaf Melo4 22mm (0.3ohm[mod reads 0.25]@36.5w)
In Croatia this costs total around 120 usd.

I ordered new melo4 25mm bcz i vape cca 10ml/+-2ml daily so i refill like 5-8 times a day with melo4 22 wich is 2ml.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
...In Croatia...
Isn't it nice how different peoples can come together, due to a common interest? Why can't it be all over this world? We all want to live in peace, have a family, and raise kids. Why do we have to have religious believes split us apart? Funny thing is, most of the religions have more in common, than you can imagine!

kascro

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Like!
And my gf is 1 month pregnant :)
We both quit cigs weeks before.

Offtopic: is it ok to vape while pregnant, 0% nic of course?
Currently she broke her eleaf iJust S start kit by accident, pressed fire button without noticing for few minutes i huess, all is ok and went without harm, only a little burnt thumb...is under warranty so il see what can they do with it.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Loki

Member For 2 Years
I have quite a few mods. IMO, the best one I have is the Smoant Charon 218W. It's sturdy, screen is easy to read, battery door stays on
and feels great in my hand. Favorite Sub ohm tank is the Crown 3 if you don't want to build.
They Smoants and Crown 3 tanks are cheap at Fasttech at the moment with a few colors to choose from. However, depending where you live, it can take a couple of weeks to receive them.
In my experience, stay away from Smok mods. Had a couple of Alien 220's fail on me within 6 months and just last night a friend had his G Priv quit.
Many members here seem to have good luck with the Smok's but I have not.
I stopped at a local Vape shop in Chicago a few months ago because I ran out of juice. While they were making it up, I noticed a large basket filled with broken mods. The shop keeps them in case they can use parts from them. I dug through the basket and most of them were Smok mods.
So you decide.

I have seen that name and brand a few times on here. I will have to do some better research on it for myself, thank you.

Loki

Member For 2 Years
So i should add separately that if its not too much to ask.... could anyone put a list of good starter mods that they would recommend.

Like i said i am new to this vaping stuff and dont know heads from tails.

Loki

Member For 2 Years
If you want an internal battery mod go for the MVP4 and for a tank the cleito exo.
This won't cost you much much money and is simple to use.
I'm also gonna second the crown 3 :)

Thank you for the reply. The mvp4 does look like i need to keep it in mind.

Loki

Member For 2 Years
It would help to know, whether you prefer mouth to lounge (MTL) hits, or direct to lounge (DL). It would help in limiting the kit, that would be suitable to your needs/preference.

Ummm i dont have much of a preference (dl-mtl) i would say though.. i DL about 80% of the time and MTL the rest. When i vape at work inside its more 50-50.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
So i should add separately that if its not too much to ask.... could anyone put a list of good starter mods that they would recommend.

Like i said i am new to this vaping stuff and dont know heads from tails.
I personally like my Eleaf Pico (V1, single 18650 battery) , it came with a Cleito tank. I bought the optional expansion tank for it though. I'm still using this combo on a daily basis, to this day.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Ummm i dont have much of a preference (dl-mtl) i would say though.. i DL about 80% of the time and MTL the rest. When i vape at work inside its more 50-50.
Although, the Kit I mentioned is not the new kid in town, it never has let me down so far. IMO, you should be able to use it for MTL, as long, as you adjust the airflow, and settings of the mod accordingly.

Loki

Member For 2 Years
Although, the Kit I mentioned is not the new kid in town, it never has let me down so far. IMO, you should be able to use it for MTL, as long, as you adjust the airflow, and settings of the mod accordingly.

Thats nice to know. I definitely like that people are giving me options in different brands.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Thats nice to know. I definitely like that people are giving me options in different brands.
I like the Pico, due to it's small measurements. It's not as tall as other mods I own. Therefore, it's a good mod to carry along. Depending on your vaping needs, you might want to take a spare 18650 along though.

Vapellie

Member For 4 Years
The Pico is a lovely little mod. Just need to be aware that the original release can not accommodate most 24mm tanks because it has a protruding battery cover. Most tanks are now being released as 24mm so many won't fit.

I have been eyeing up the eleaf invoke mod. It is a tiny mod that holds two 18650s. It is available on its own or as part of a kit. I didn't know the price, but eleaf are usually very reasonably priced and far more robust than Smok.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I bought my first mod from a friend (I've only been at it for 2 weeks). It's the Kaos Spectrum. I had a fireluke tank, but it was time for it to retire due to leaking and broken tip. I bought a Crown 3 tank yesterday and I really like it so far. I plan on getting a newer mod soon.
e1ad1a18ac55d9f6a37c43f502a37081.jpg
64a4d4eacf3595cd9c05242ee5977b14.jpg

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
The Pico is a lovely little mod. Just need to be aware that the original release can not accommodate most 24mm tanks because it has a protruding battery cover. Most tanks are now being released as 24mm so many won't fit.

I have been eyeing up the eleaf invoke mod. It is a tiny mod that holds two 18650s. It is available on its own or as part of a kit. I didn't know the price, but eleaf are usually very reasonably priced and far more robust than Smok.

That might be a fact here in the US, but in Europe (EU Countries) there are different laws. To my knowledge, they don't allow tanks over 2 ml. Therefore, I expect the tanks to be at 22 mm, rather than 25 mm diameter, in order to comply to the law.

Vapellie

Member For 4 Years
That might be a fact here in the US, but in Europe (EU Countries) there are different laws. To my knowledge, they don't allow tanks over 2 ml. Therefore, I expect the tanks to be at 22 mm, rather than 25 mm diameter, in order to comply to the law.

I'm in UK so deep in TPD land. Most tanks they are releasing are 25mm but with shorter chimneys, for which you can get extension kits. Or "bubble glass". Or my favourite workaround, some manufacturers put in a silicone "plug" to reduce the capacity (which of course they can't be held responsible for if the user were to remove it)!

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm in UK so deep in TPD land. Most tanks they are releasing are 25mm but with shorter chimneys, for which you can get extension kits. Or "bubble glass". Or my favourite workaround, some manufacturers put in a silicone "plug" to reduce the capacity (which of course they can't be held responsible for if the user were to remove it)!

I'm in UK too. TPD sucks. I order from overseas cos the yanks I use take ugly bubble glass

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I second the pico and cleito too. Also I love the new Prince tank. Best flavour I've had from a smok tank an not as many duds as the awful tfv8

mikeyboy74

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

One thing to mention- with internal batteries, the mod is finished when the battery dies. No guarantee that any mod will last. With the kits, you might get the mod you want but not the best tank for your needs. For internal battery, Innokin first, eLeaf if the price is right. Otherwise...

A very common setup now is is VooPoo Drag with the Crown 3. Though I prefer better ergonomics. Aspire Speeder, Minikin Boost, Smoant Cylon, etc. But the Drag is a lot of bang for the buck.

For simple menu and reliable, Smoant Battlestar, though battery life isn't the best if you mostly vape over 70-75w. I would think Crown 3 with 0.4 coils, Cleito, etc.

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
One thing to mention- with internal batteries, the mod is finished when the battery dies. No guarantee that any mod will last. With the kits, you might get the mod you want but not the best tank for your needs. For internal battery, Innokin first, eLeaf if the price is right. Otherwise...

A very common setup now is is VooPoo Drag with the Crown 3. Though I prefer better ergonomics. Aspire Speeder, Minikin Boost, Smoant Cylon, etc. But the Drag is a lot of bang for the buck.

For simple menu and reliable, Smoant Battlestar, though battery life isn't the best if you mostly vape over 70-75w. I would think Crown 3 with 0.4 coils, Cleito, etc.
That's why I prefer aspire speeder to battlestar, battery life is so much better and it performs great so I second this :)

VU Sponsors