Become a Patron!

A little confused with voltage with higher wattage

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Ok I am far from a noob. But I just recently started experimenting with vaping at higher wattage. Around the 25w range. I'm a little confused when it comes to voltage readings at higher wattage. My normal vaping habits hvae been around the 12-15w range. Mostly using a 1Ω - 1.4Ω build. Usually at the wattage range I like the volts read around 4.2 - 4.5v. I can even push it to the 4.7v range depending on the juice. Anything lower than 4.2v and it is just no good. So I try to apply that rule of thumb to higher wattage. Does not seem to work. Example is I have a .6Ω build in my Lemo 2 right now. If I try to get into the 4.2 - 4.5v range it is above 30w. Not good for me. Get dry hits and burnt taste. The sweet spot seems to be around 24 - 26w which puts the voltage between 3.6v and 3.8v. So why the difference in voltage when running higher wattage??

IML8

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The the power P in watts (W) is equal to the squared voltage V in volts (V) divided by the resistance R in ohms (Ω):

pvr.gif

Jah

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
in other words, the lower the resistance of the coil, the lower the volts needed to achieve a a selected wattage

heateris

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I still confuse myself trying to look at the voltage on VW devices. I've learned to ignore the voltage and just set the watts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IML8

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It's a difficult concept to fully explain without bringing amps and some basic algebraic concepts into the discussion, but that might make it even more confusing. There's tons of exhaustive explanations, tutorials and videos available online, however, if you really want to know and you're willing to do a little research. Otherwise, I would just stick to keeping an eye on watts, like heateris.

st0nedpenguin

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I still confuse myself trying to look at the voltage on VW devices. I've learned to ignore the voltage and just set the watts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which makes sense since that's the entire point of VW devices. ;)

VU Sponsors