Become a Patron!

A little confusion..Batteries & Safe Vaping

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
the coil is not factored into the amp load on a regulated mod only mechs and pwms
in most regulated mods
they are in series. you put one battery in one way the other the opposite.
IN SERIES voltage is added together. amps are not
in parrallel amps are added not volts
and with a regulated mod its easier to do this
take the low voltage cutoff of the mod
MOST are about 3.2 per cell
so 6.4
now let me see if igot this right
max watts/volts./ efficiency of mod
efficiencey of mod is this
the wiring and board and buttons all cause you to loose voltage along the way
most boards are at least 90% effiecient
do a search on the alien or look in the manual
so my ipv 5 would be
200w/6.4v/90%=35amps
that means i need batteries that can handle 35 amps safely if i want to push 200 watts for long vapes and the entire charge of the bateries

now off course at full charge my batteries are only pulling 26 amps at 200 watts but as the battery drains the mod is going to pull more amps to make up for the reduced voltage

so 25rs are 20ish amp batteries you should stay below 150ish watts to be safe
now i have no idea how efficient he alien is
it maybe be 95% effiecient
but figure that out and figur eout whats the max wattage you should be pushing at low battery levels which are about 6.4v

Last edited:

Matty Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for taking the time to break that down for me..Really appreciate that!!!

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
np
i used to think the same way as your question
but regulated mods do not work on straight power form the battery to the atty. they buck or boost or whatever magical thing it is they do to make the power output stay the same at all times and the way they do that is drawing more upon the batteries when needed which only really becomes an issue on 2 battery mods that go over 150 watts and you want to run them above 150 at all times
i vape at 50 watts so 25rs and lg hgs work perfect for me

Matty Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
np
i used to think the same way as your question
but regulated mods do not work on straight power form the battery to the atty. they buck or boost or whatever magical thing it is they do to make the power output stay the same at all times and the way they do that is drawing more upon the batteries when needed which only really becomes an issue on 2 battery mods that go over 150 watts and you want to run them above 150 at all times
i vape at 50 watts so 25rs and lg hgs work perfect for me

Yeah haven't found a reason to go past 50-60 yet but I was wanting to experiment with different builds,wires,ohms,single coil etc and If I understand correctly I should be able to do so with no issues with my regulated mod and batteries? I'm also assuming my Alien has safety features up the wazoo? lol

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
yeah if the mod says it can do the ohm range you want to use and your wattage is within a safe range for the amps of your battery your fine
yo may fine dropping to a .2 ohm build will bump up your wattage to 70-90

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Hi Matty

MattP already gave you a great answer

If you wanted to do some further reading around the subject I put this thread together including links to all sorts of helpful sources when I was researching the topic for myself... which hopefully will answer some of the other questions you might have

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/regulated-mods-batteries-resistance-explained.314459/

The Amp draws in there are theoretical limits rather than actuals following the workings i go through, without properly hooking up devices and testing them which I lack the equipment to do it's the best I could do

Hope it helps a little :)

VU Sponsors