Become a Patron!

A quick question about diy eliquids.

koolzerro

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hello everybody! I'm new in the world of diy and i have a quick question.

A self mixed liquid can compare with a "premium" purchased as quality and taste?

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

koolzerro

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm asking this cause i tried today to make my first juice and it doesn't seems to have such a great taste :p

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm asking this cause i tried today to make my first juice and it doesn't seems to have such a great taste :p

@HeadInClouds has a thread here with free recipes & at Hicsmixes.com recipes you pay generally $3 and so worth it.
http://vapingunderground.com/threads/hics-mixes-diy-recipes-store.54921/page-62
All my other attempts with diy recipes were ok but Hic's recipes are just like premium store bought juices. @Squonk also has great recipes here on VU.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Hello everybody! I'm new in the world of diy and i have a quick question.

A self mixed liquid can compare with a "premium" purchased as quality and taste?

Thank you!

They're actually much better, because one you make yourself is for YOUR tastebuds, not anyone who might happen by, and, you can control every ingredient in it, so you know it's as safe as you can make it.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

That's because mixing ejuice is more like cooking than mixing koolaid. It takes a bit of knowledge and understanding of what flavors blend well, which flavors by which brands you prefer, and in what ratio to mix them. There's a learning curve, and no way to really escape it, except by doing it. Using other people's recipes can be helpful, but those recipes are created for those people's tastebuds, not yours, and may not suit you -- I tend to use more than twice as much flavoring as other people, because otherwise, I can't even taste it. I didn't know this until I actually tried a few, and then tried to create my own -- my own recipe for strawberry & cream started out at 31% flavoring, and everyone still freaks out about that, but I don't give a shit, I'm not mixing it for THEM, I'm mixing it for ME, and I LIKE IT.

Andria

koolzerro

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That's because mixing ejuice is more like cooking than mixing koolaid. It takes a bit of knowledge and understanding of what flavors blend well, which flavors by which brands you prefer, and in what ratio to mix them. There's a learning curve, and no way to really escape it, except by doing it. Using other people's recipes can be helpful, but those recipes are created for those people's tastebuds, not yours, and may not suit you -- I tend to use more than twice as much flavoring as other people, because otherwise, I can't even taste it. I didn't know this until I actually tried a few, and then tried to create my own -- my own recipe for strawberry & cream started out at 31% flavoring, and everyone still freaks out about that, but I don't give a shit, I'm not mixing it for THEM, I'm mixing it for ME, and I LIKE IT.

Andria

I tried to mix 8% FA milkshake and 8% FA strawberry ripe in a 30ml 70/30, 0.6 nic and i feel my flavours really muted...

When the words fail... music speaks!

koolzerro

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@HeadInClouds has a thread here with free recipes & at Hicsmixes.com recipes you pay generally $3 and so worth it.
http://vapingunderground.com/threads/hics-mixes-diy-recipes-store.54921/page-62
All my other attempts with diy recipes were ok but Hic's recipes are just like premium store bought juices. @Squonk also has great recipes here on VU.

Thank you and i don't wanna be rude but whats the point in DIY if you pay for recipes? :)

VapinMoody

Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Thank you and i don't wanna be rude but whats the point in DIY if you pay for recipes? :)

You answered your question.....your recipe is terrible....$3.00 for a recipe that tastes good and works....worth It to me... we need more info on what you mixed to help.

I have made hundreds of recipes and tossed many until I perfected them....some have been posted (good) recipes and were not per my taste buds. mix on

koolzerro

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You answered your question.....your recipe is terrible....$3.00 for a recipe that tastes good and works....worth It to me... we need more info on what you mixed to help.

I have made hundreds of recipes and tossed many until I perfected them....some have been posted (good) recipes and were not per my taste buds. mix on

Yeah you have right...

For beginning cause some of my flavours are still on pending with easter deliveries i mixed these 8% The Flavoury milkshake and 8% FA strawberry ripe in a 30ml 70/30, 0.6 nic and i feel my flavours really muted...

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I tried to mix 8% FA milkshake and 8% FA strawberry ripe in a 30ml 70/30, 0.6 nic and i feel my flavours really muted...

Hmm.... I don't use a lot of FA flavors, hardly any in fact, but I think they're meant to be used at much lower percentages; my experiences with a few TFA flavors are that they're good up to a certain point, but if you go over that, they do tend to mute; that may be what happened here.

Also -- on your PG/VG ratio, it's impossible to know anymore unless it's specified, which is which -- when I started vaping in 2014, it was always PG/VG, but all these damned cloud chasers have fucked things up so badly, nowadays it may often be VG/PG (which doesn't even make ALPHABETICAL sense!), so it's hard to know exactly what you mixed. I do know that higher VG (and 70% VG is A LOT!) means you need to shake it for a LOOOOOOOONG time, that shit is so thick, and it also usually needs a very long steep, 2-3 wks. That steeping shit is why I use a lot of flavoring, so I can actually taste what I've mixed, RIGHT when I mix it, so I know if it's a good recipe or not. Also I use 85% or more PG, so the flavor comes thru right away, not after sitting on a shelf for weeks.

Another factor to keep in mind, and this is why I say it's more like cooking than mixing koolaid -- using only 2 flavors in a mix isn't usually going to result in anything very tasty -- in my strawberry & cream, I use 3 different creams, and one is actually a vanilla custard, to get the desired richness. This is precisely because most flavors, if you use too high a percentage, tend to mute or go sideways; if you layer several flavors together, you avoid that. Also, no strawberry actually tastes like strawberry, EXCEPT Inawera Shisha Strawberry. Every other one I've tried smells really good... and has no taste at all.

Andria

koolzerro

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hmm.... I don't use a lot of FA flavors, hardly any in fact, but I think they're meant to be used at much lower percentages; my experiences with a few TFA flavors are that they're good up to a certain point, but if you go over that, they do tend to mute; that may be what happened here.

Also -- on your PG/VG ratio, it's impossible to know anymore unless it's specified, which is which -- when I started vaping in 2014, it was always PG/VG, but all these damned cloud chasers have fucked things up so badly, nowadays it may often be VG/PG (which doesn't even make ALPHABETICAL sense!), so it's hard to know exactly what you mixed. I do know that higher VG (and 70% VG is A LOT!) means you need to shake it for a LOOOOOOOONG time, that shit is so thick, and it also usually needs a very long steep, 2-3 wks. That steeping shit is why I use a lot of flavoring, so I can actually taste what I've mixed, RIGHT when I mix it, so I know if it's a good recipe or not. Also I use 85% or more PG, so the flavor comes thru right away, not after sitting on a shelf for weeks.

Another factor to keep in mind, and this is why I say it's more like cooking than mixing koolaid -- using only 2 flavors in a mix isn't usually going to result in anything very tasty -- in my strawberry & cream, I use 3 different creams, and one is actually a vanilla custard, to get the desired richness. This is precisely because most flavors, if you use too high a percentage, tend to mute or go sideways; if you layer several flavors together, you avoid that. Also, no strawberry actually tastes like strawberry, EXCEPT Inawera Shisha Strawberry. Every other one I've tried smells really good... and has no taste at all.

Andria

Thanks for your explicit reply... i used 70VG and 30PG cause i like big clouds i can't lie but your reply makes me wonder... if you mix several flavours lets say, for example 5 like you did for your strawberry & cream, how long you let it steep?

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for your explicit reply... i used 70VG and 30PG cause i like big clouds i can't lie but your reply makes me wonder... if you mix several flavours lets say, for example 5 like you did for your strawberry & cream, how long you let it steep?

With my original recipe, no more than 24 hrs, TOPS. With my latest version, about a week-ish. I started mixing it strong, as I said, so I could taste it and judge the recipe RIGHT AWAY... now that I know I like it, and also it's been quite a while since I smoked and my comatose tastebuds have started waking up, I can mix it slightly weaker and give it that week-ish, to really shine -- I mix about 55ml at a time, which is enough for about 10 days, and when it's about half gone, I mix a fresh 55ml, so it can sit while I finish the current bottle. Generally when I'm ready to move to the new bottle, it's had time to really "come together." I do give it a shake from time to time, while it's sitting.

But, if I was mixing it with high VG, I'd probably give it at least 2 wks -- I've always used high PG, so never really had to worry about that; the only mixes I've done that absolutely require really long steeps are those with even the slightest amount of tobacco flavoring -- which is nearly always used in VERY sparing amounts, and can take 3-6 wks before it tastes any good.

Andria

koolzerro

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Oh... sorry! Milkshake is The flavoury and strawberry is TFA. Thank you!

In that case, I absolutely stand by what I said about strawberry flavors -- great smell, no taste. If you want real strawberry flavor, get Inawera Shisha Strawberry.

Andria

Briandesimone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use 70vg and I only have to wait a day or two. The only flavors that take longer are creams and tobacco.

Sent from my SM-S120VL using Tapatalk

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

A successful ejuice plus I & many others don't mind paying $3 for awesome juice rather than trial & error on my own. But like I said he has tons of free recipes here on VU also.

Briandesimone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
HIC gives out all kind of recipes for free and helps out with thousands of questions. If I buy a couple of the recipes for dirt cheap it's just a thank you for all the help and you know it's gonna be a really good recipe.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
HIC gives out all kind of recipes for free and helps out with thousands of questions. If I buy a couple of the recipes for dirt cheap it's just a thank you for all the help and you know it's gonna be a really good recipe.

I totally agree ! With @HeadInClouds you are not alone he's a great guy and so is everyone on that thread. Always willing to help. :inlove:

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

Might be too much milkshake, I'd cut it in half at least.
The FA you're using I suspect is TFA as FlavourArt doesn't make either one of those flavors.
The Strawberry Ripe is kinda mild and easily covered up with creams IMO.

I've had much better results using INW Shisha Strawberry as it's stronger and holds its own better with creams/vanillas.
2% INW Shisha Strawberry + 4% TFA Vanilla Bean Ice Cream + 2% TFA Dairy Milk + 1% INW Biscuit works for me:D.

It will take some time for you to figure out what woks best for you though.
Many good free recipes here on VU and elsewhere...

koolzerro

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
For now i'm very limited... i have just 5 flavours cause my parcel is in warehouse cause of easter special delivery working days...

What decent juice i can make with these flavours? Thank you
5319dc7be84e1ef6e9574feed1f3878c.jpg

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

Kinda limited but...
Some may work as stand alone, or adding 2% Milkshake as a cream type

10-15% FW Butterscotch Ripple
(not sure as I don't have this one but some of the others like FW Butterscotch or FW Natural Butterscotch are in this range)

7% TFA Nectarine + (optional) 2% Milkshake
8-10% Strawberry Ripe (I'd try it alone before adding anything)
2% Cappuccino (some of the coffee flavors are quite strong so it's just a guess)

koolzerro

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Kinda limited but...
Some may work as stand alone, or adding 2% Milkshake as a cream type

10-15% FW Butterscotch Ripple
(not sure as I don't have this one but some of the others like FW Butterscotch or FW Natural Butterscotch are in this range)

7% TFA Nectarine + (optional) 2% Milkshake
8-10% Strawberry Ripe (I'd try it alone before adding anything)
2% Cappuccino (some of the coffee flavors are quite strong so it's just a guess)

Thank you i'll try that one :)

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
As you can see i have limited flavours from now and i'm at the beginning stop throwing rocks at me :)

Not throwing rocks, just pointing something out. It's like when you first start cooking food. You don't have a real grasp on what you're doing so you screw up a lot trying to figure things out. If you buy a cookbook, you learn a lot more and start having more successes. :)

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
If you buy a cookbook, you learn a lot more and start having more successes. :)

But having a cookbook won't help much if you only have 5 items in your kitchen;)
And many cooking recipes can also be found online today for free anyway.
I have far more untried juice recipes saved than I could ever possibly make in my lifetime and it didn't
cost me a dime.

Last edited:

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
But having a cookbook won't help much if you only have 5 items in your kitchen;)
And many cooking recipes can also be found online today for free anyway.

Sure it does. You can look up recipes by ingredient in the index and it gives recipes using those. Or, once you have learned a bit more about cooking from cookbooks and have a better idea what you're doing and what each ingredient tastes like and how it works best, you can throw together your own dishes. :)

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Sure it does. You can look up recipes by ingredient in the index and it gives recipes using those. Or, once you have learned a bit more about cooking from cookbooks and have a better idea what you're doing and what each ingredient tastes like and how it works best, you can throw together your own dishes. :)

My point being you don't HAVE to buy recipes to make good e-juice.
I make plenty recipes I like and I've never paid for any.
So telling a new DIY'er just go buy a book instead of offering any constructive help is just being rude.

:popcorn:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

I've always been more self-taught and "throw it together" on cooking, than reading cookbooks or recipes, but that's mostly because my mom and grandmother were great cooks, so I just kinda picked it up from them, watching and helping. With ejuice, at first I ran into the same problem with recipes as I often find with cookbooks: they call for ingredients I just don't have! That's part of the learning curve of ejuice, acquiring all the necessary ingredients to make something you like. The other part, which is actually more challenging and more expensive, is figuring out which flavors from which mfrs you actually LIKE, because they're vastly different depending on who makes them. then, knowing what percentages to use of which flavors, because that too is vastly different, depending on the flavor itself, and the type of flavor you're trying to mix.

Once I arrived at some of that knowledge, then I found much more success with making my own recipes, than using the recipes of other people, because *I* know what I have, and *I* know what I like, and one thing I absolutely don't like are ejuices that use like 5%-15% flavoring... I simply can't taste anything from those except PG -- which doesn't taste good at all! I've never liked any recipe that used less than 20% flavoring, and most that I enjoy the most use 25%-30% flavoring. Once I learned this about my own tastes, I became able to sometimes adapt other peoples' recipes, just by doubling -- or sometimes tripling! -- their percentages. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't.

But going to the DIY threads is one of the best ways to learn a great deal of this; you get tips, recipes, suggestions, brands and where to find them, etc. Without the TFA forum over at Butthead Central, I'd never have known that using high flavor percentages was a perfectly fine thing to do, given all the measly amounts that most people use.

Andria

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
FWIW, learn fundamentals, scales, arpeggios, and after you do, forget them and play jazz. Learning the ratios, and good lab technique is never a waste of time.

Once you can make juice consistently to a recipe (BTW, never pay for anything on the net, the net was made for sharing) then begin to experiment.

You are going to love DIY.

koolzerro

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
FWIW, learn fundamentals, scales, arpeggios, and after you do, forget them and play jazz. Learning the ratios, and good lab technique is never a waste of time.

Once you can make juice consistently to a recipe (BTW, never pay for anything on the net, the net was made for sharing) then begin to experiment.

You are going to love DIY.

Agree on this one! But thats how a hacker think by the way :)))

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
But thats how a hacker think by the way :)))

I had a great teacher.

http://search.lores.eu/indexo.htm

http://searchlores.co/

http://www.searchlore.org/

http://acrigs.com/FRAVIA/FRAVIA_index.htm

Fravia said:

The correct 'use' of this site will give you remarkable power. After some study (a couple of months, usually... YMMV) you'll be able to find *anything* on the web.
Any image, any film, any software, any music, any solution, any book. *Anything* that has been produced by humans on our planet, in any language, provided it can be digitized, duh...

A good seeker can be a quite dangerous beast, though. Those that do learn how to search, which is what this site is intended to teach, will be able to find on the web -if needs be- ANY KNOWLEDGE, and thus -also- zillions of possible exploits. Innocent ones, milder ones, and *quite* nasty ones as well.

You will learn here how to search, you will have to decide yourself what to search. This site offers raw, free knowledge. As always, sheer power can be used for 'evil' deeds and/or for 'good' deeds (let's leave aside, for now, the rather complex question of what would be 'evil' and what would be 'good' nowadays, just use your own parameters).

Spring in, if you dare! Again, you have been warned: at first you'll only fathom the existence of the abyss, only later you'll understand its real depth and width.

RIP Fravia.

Last edited:

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
For now i'm very limited... i have just 5 flavours cause my parcel is in warehouse cause of easter special delivery working days...

5319dc7be84e1ef6e9574feed1f3878c.jpg

I really like the cappuccino. never tried the V2 though. to me it doesnt really taste like cappuccino but something about it I like. about 4-5% is good to me all on its own.

koolzerro

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I really like the cappuccino. never tried the V2 though. to me it doesnt really taste like cappuccino but something about it I like. about 4-5% is good to me all on its own.

I tried that on it's on at 6% but i feel it quite harsh... next time i'll try it with a little sweet cream.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Have you tried Inawera's Cappucino? I was wondering how Capella's compares to it. I don't think I'd like INW's by itself, but it makes a good bldg block in my Smocha. I find most european coffee flavors a bit too strong and bitter to my American tastebuds. :D

Andria

koolzerro

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just brought about 40 flavs last days but none of 'em are from INW :( I'll make sure my next order will have some INW in it ;)

VU Sponsors