A Special Request

Air Blower

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Dear sirs and madams of VU,

I have a special request that's very near and dear to my heart and if you'll bare with me I'll give the explanation then get on with the request. This may be TL;DR for some and if that's the case then by all means please skip to the request itself and see if you could help this 50 year old man-child capture some of his youth in a bottle to be vaped on quiet nights with eyes closed while reminiscing of good times gone by and those yet to come.

The background; I grew up in a very tight knit family and like many of you, my memories are heavily spiced with the flavours of my childhood. My ancestry is mainly Slavic with German (Maternal side), Hungarian and French Canadian (Paternal side) foods forming the basis of those memories. Sunday dinners with family were always and still are a prominent part of my week. It's rare that my and my brothers family don't share a meal on a weekend and these meals are always open to aunts, uncles, cousins, friends and in-laws to join. Over the years our family has grown to include many new flavours as we're a pretty multicultural bunch with East Indian, Pakistani, African and southern US genealogies rooting our familial tree firmly to the ground.

I love the new flavours that have become a part of my family experience and it's not unusual for a family meal to include traditional tourtiere, perogy, paprikash, lecso, beans with rice and curries depending on who shows up and who brings what. I quiver in anticipation of holidays where we're all under the same roof at the same time. Fusions of all these traditions are not uncommon as we have a family filled with great cooks who all appreciate what our familial capillaries bring to the heart of our shared tables. Among these cooks are giants. The rest of us plant our feet on their shoulders to pass down what we've been taught to our children, some of whom will become the giants of their generations.

The most influential of these giants, to me personally, was my paternal grandmother (Hungarian). During my college years I spent a lot of time on weekends driving from Calgary to my grandparents house in a little town called Nanton about an hour south to help them do the things their aging bodies no longer allowed them to do. My rewards were the knowledge I was being a good grandson and the bumper of my 1982 Celica hatchback dragging on the ground on the way home due to all the homemade food grandma had packed into my car while I was doing her bidding elsewhere.

Among these foods there's one thing that stands out as a homing beacon for my brother and I to always find our way back to our childhoods and our family tree. It was typically only prepared for Christmas and if either my brother or I were confronted in a game of word association with the word "Christmas" our first retort (pun intended) would inevitably be "Torte Cake". I've tried many Hungarian dobos tortes and grandmas is still the best. Her torte did not have the caramel top and when I asked her about it once I'd passed from accepting and appreciative youth to inquisitive adult, she said the hard caramel hurt her teeth and that grandpa didn't have teeth so she eliminated it from her mother's recipe plus made a few adaptations based on the traditions she'd come in contact with as a first generation Canadian.

The request; to replicate my grandmothers torte as closely as possible.

The notes; grandmas torte could be described as a 5-7 layer sponge cake (egg, flour and sugar...very heavy on the egg. Almost crepe-ish) with a butter based chocolate cream filling separating each layer. She also added enough instant coffee to give it a distinct mocha flavour. Between layers she would sprinkle crushed walnuts, hazelnuts or pecans based on what she could either get free or cheapest (when I was a kid we lived in eastern Canada and had walnut trees on our land).

I've tried Capella's Cake Batter and FW's Cake Batter Dip and Yellow Cake. The Yellow Cake is close but no cigar. It's missing the egg-yness.

I've utterly failed to come within a country mile of the mocha chocolate icing. I've tried every Capella and TFA chocolate/mocha/butter and none of them have the smooth buttery flavour I'm after. The coffee note can be added and balanced IF the base chocolate flavour was found (I'm thinking FA Tiramisu or Espresso (which I haven't tried yet)). The real world recipe is simple; Fry's cocoa, icing sugar, butter and vanilla. The flavour is buttery with sweetness but not so much sweetness that the bitter notes of the cocoa disappear. The nuts meld with the cocoa and the coffee to remove any harshness they may bring to the table.

Any suggestions?

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
What I've learned here, for a good chocolate flavor, you mix FA Cocoa and FA Chocolate. I'm not sure about the percentages though. FA also has excellent Walnut, Hazelnut, and a Nut Mix. Except for the Walnut at 0.5%, I haven't used the other two yet.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
For the cake itself you have covered most of them except FA Nonna's cake which I think is the best. for what you are looking for I'd try mostly Nonna's cake mixed with a small percentage of your yellow cake. that is just my opinion others will probably chime in and maybe come closer.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
You'll get a mocha and espresso with the Tiramisu. It's an excellent flavor. Any of the FA nut flavors are really good, although, I'm not a BIG fan of the pistachio. Cake... I've always gotten something of a cakiness with a combination of FA Cookie with TFA Cheesecake Graham. It sounds like something worth testing to your likeness. Sounds like a delicious dessert.

Good luck and thanks for the back story :)

Air Blower

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What I've learned here, for a good chocolate flavor, you mix FA Cocoa and FA Chocolate. I'm not sure about the percentages though. FA also has excellent Walnut, Hazelnut, and a Nut Mix. Except for the Walnut at 0.5%, I haven't used the other two yet.
That's exactly what I'm thinking. If I can make a reasonable chocolate butter icing the rest could be a matter of trial and error using some flavours I already have.

From what I've read about the FA Walnut, it's exactly what I'm looking for. My aunt always uses hazelnuts and I love her torte but the majority of the time grandma used walnuts because they literally fell in our yard and after we moved west she would just have her sisters and sisters-in-law send some out from their trees.

Air Blower

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
For the cake itself you have covered most of them except FA Nonna's cake which I think is the best. for what you are looking for I'd try mostly Nonna's cake mixed with a small percentage of your yellow cake. that is just my opinion others will probably chime in and maybe come closer.
I'm very interested in Nonna's Cake. The only apprehension I have is some have said there's ricotta notes in it.

I need to infuse a heavy egg flavour somehow and even eggnog hasn't done it:(

Air Blower

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You'll get a mocha and espresso with the Tiramisu. It's an excellent flavor. Any of the FA nut flavors are really good, although, I'm not a BIG fan of the pistachio. Cake... I've always gotten something of a cakiness with a combination of FA Cookie with TFA Cheesecake Graham. It sounds like something worth testing to your likeness. Sounds like a delicious dessert.

Good luck and thanks for the back story :)
It's very good! I have a childhood friend from Pakistan and am very close to his family. Come about November his dad will start calling me asking, "hey kid, where's my torte?". When my mother passed away in 2015 my sis-in-law seamlessly and honorably took over as our family matriarch. She spent hours making torte with both my mother and my grandmother and she does it perfectly. Every year around end of November we have special family dinners where we gather and spend the day making torte and another Hungarian dessert we called ( I have no idea how to spell it) Schitisch which was a layered jam pastry. The spoils of these collaborations are shared with family and friends, just the way grandma did in her day:)

I think the reason HIC's Tiramisu recipes have reverberated with me is because there's notes there that are very similar to grandmas torte. I'll try getting the FA Cookie (TFA CC w GC is already on my list) but I have to emphasise the missing note is egg.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Some people get an eggy flavor from FA Meringue, forgot to mention that one. I'm one of the people that only gets "sweet" from it, so I used it that way, instead. Some also use custards for eggy.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
VZ-SC Vanilla Sponge Cake may be worth a shot but it's lacking something and would have to be mixed with some other cakes IMO.

Air Blower

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Some people get an eggy flavor from FA Meringue, forgot to mention that one. I'm one of the people that only gets "sweet" from it, so I used it that way, instead. Some also use custards for eggy.
I've added Meringue to my next order wish list. May try combining that and some CAP VC to try emulating the flavour profile I'm after.

Much appreciated:)

Air Blower

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
VZ-SC Vanilla Sponge Cake may be worth a shot but it's lacking something and would have to be mixed with some other cakes IMO.
I'd love to try it but it's really pricy when I take into consideration exchange rate from CND to USD and shipping right now.

Air Blower

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sorry, hadn't considered that part.
That's not your fault, it's my damned governments:mad:

I have family in North Carolina and have emailed them to see if they're ever down that way. If they are I'll get them to pick me up some of the cake and a few other flavours from that site.

Crappy thing is I probably won't see them until x-mas when we all meet up in Texas with my wife's parents.

Air Blower

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Si I've placed my order for all the flavours that may help in pulling this recipe together (other than the FA Cookie Huck mentioned. Dang, I'll call my supplier when they open and have them add it). I have Meringue, Vienna Cream and Nonna's Cake plus Chocolate and Cocoa all FA. I also have an assortment of other cakes and batters from different manufacturers to play with.

I'm thinking about developing the cake notes separately from the mocha chocolate notes then adding them together. Once each is what I'm after I'll add either walnut or hazelnut to complete the recipe.

Is that a good idea?

I'm worried I'll end up with a recipe that exceeds 10%+ by the time I find the flavour notes I'm after with each component.

Am I just overthinking this?

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
The good thing about FA flavors, you usually just need small amounts. Most of them are good at 3% for single flavor mixes. As an ingredient in a mix of multiple flavors, it's even lower.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
The notes; grandmas torte could be described as a 5-7 layer sponge cake (egg, flour and sugar...very heavy on the egg. Almost crepe-ish) with a butter based chocolate cream filling separating each layer. She also added enough instant coffee to give it a distinct mocha flavour. Between layers she would sprinkle crushed walnuts, hazelnuts or pecans based on what she could either get free or cheapest (when I was a kid we lived in eastern Canada and had walnut trees on our land)....
Any suggestions?

FA Nonna's Cake + Vienna Cream for the cake, with small additions of Tiramisu + Caramel for the mocha filling, plus a bit of Hazelnut - would be really tasty and create the flavor I imagine as I read your colorful description.

Air Blower

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The good thing about FA flavors, you usually just need small amounts. Most of them are good at 3% for single flavor mixes. As an ingredient in a mix of multiple flavors, it's even lower.
You're right of course:)

I get antsy when I start thinking of using very small amounts thinking I won't end up with what I want.

Air Blower

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
FA Nonna's Cake + Vienna Cream for the cake, with small additions of Tiramisu + Caramel for the mocha filling, plus a bit of Hazelnut - would be really tasty and create the flavor I imagine as I read your colorful description.
Awesome, I have everything I need to start then:D

Thanks for your input and I'll try exactly that:)

Air Blower

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Finally got my vapemail yesterday (of course the day I had meetings and paperwork to keep me busy all day!) and tried the first iterations of Gramma's Torte last night.

Gramma's Torte #1

Nonna's Cake 2% FA
Vienna Cream 1% FA
Tiramisu 0.5% FA
Caramel 1% FA
Hazelnut 1% FA

Right after mixing I can taste the hazelnut and a slight impression of the Nonna's Cake with the Tiramisu coming on exhale but very mild. I think I'll let this steep for a week before trying again.

Gramma's Torte #2

Nonna's Cake 2% FA
Vienna Cream 1% FA
Tiramisu 0.5% FA
Espresso .5% FA
Caramel 1% FA
Hazelnut 1% FA

I felt that the first impression of #1 was not enough coffee coming through so added the espresso. Definitely helped and am already in love with FA Espresso! This is a very nice coffee vape and one I'll add to my necessities list. Let this one steep as well.

Gramma's Torte #3

Nonna's Cake 1% FA
Cookie 0.5% FA
Vienna Cream 1% FA
Tiramisu 0.5% FA
Espresso 0.5% FA
Cocoa 1.5% FA
Chocolate 1% FA
Hazelnut 1% FA

Not enough chocolate in the previous 2 (although steeping may change that) so I'll try a kitchen sink approach by trying all flavours aside from the FA Meringue which Huck mentioned may bring a nice egginess to the mix (try that one later). I really liked this as a shake and vape but know the flavours are not yet developed so I'll put on my big boy pants and try adding some patience to the mix to see what comes of this one!

VU Sponsors