Become a Patron!

A trick for getting stubborn wicking into a coil.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ok, just something I picked up and it's a real frustration-saver for me.

Remember those weird wire things for threading needles with? Well, I'm using the same concept to assist with threading wick through a coil. Cotton and even hemp I don't have much issue with, but the Tencel fiber is another story. Stuff is wiry and fuzzes out easy.

Here's what I do:

1. Take a length of a thin wire, I use 33 gauge, fold it in half.

2. Cut your piece of wick, then fold it and the wire across each other like this:

s2h5kfdl.jpg

3. Grasp the point where the wick and wire meet and carefully hold it together while threading the ends of the wire through your coil.

4, Carefully and slowly pull the ends of the wire, threading the wick though the coil...if it feels tight, stop.

5dfg8nfl.jpg

5. Slip the wire out of the loop of wick and you're good to go. :)

tSdCIk0l.jpg

jae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I did that to double up some wick in an RSST. It's a great trick, although the ceramic XC-116 i use is a little stiff and fat, and tends to pull and bend the coil.

L

LadyRed69

I tried this, but with cotton.
It did not work.
I tried with silica, and it is perfect.

Thanks! ;)

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks guys...
respect-048.gif

Yeah it's mainly for long-strand sorts of wicking.
BTW, It's not my invention by any means. I saw it used for an Aqua build with silica (!) once..can't recall who it was.

Hemp and cotton ya can just roll between your fingers into a nice shape, then moisten the end with juice or such, taper it, and it'll go through pretty easy. Especially if you use tweezers to help pull it through.

I was having a PITA of a time trying to get that Tencel fiber in that coil until I remembered this. Figured I'd make a mini-tut in case it'd help someone else. :)

L

LadyRed69

I did this for my tinman coils I had made a bit bigger than the normal ones.
More like micro coil?

I forgot and was going to ask what kind of wicking that was in the picture. :cool:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I did this for my tinman coils I had made a bit bigger than the normal ones.
More like micro coil?

I forgot and was going to ask what kind of wicking that was in the picture. :cool:

It's Tencel Fiber.

http://www.reddit.com/r/RBA/comments/26d2kw/tencel_the_next_big_thing_in_wicks/
and
http://radd.it/r/RBA/comments/26px2j/tencel_wick_updates_and_wicking_performance/

I got it from: http://twistedbuild.com/14oztencelfiberprepared.aspx

Put a drop of juice on it and it slides in easier .

What she said....

Reactions: jae

tick22

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
One thing about vaping, you are always learning new things and tricks..
thanks Caff

KnurledNut

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
Member For 4 Years
Show Host
Why even thread your coil at all?

Make a nice bed of cotton on the entire deck of your atty. After installing your coils, ever so slightly push them down into the cotton bed, be careful not to make any metal-on-metal contact.

Saturate the cotton with your favorite liquid and vape like a mad man!

tick22

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Make a nice bed of cotton on the entire deck of your atty. After installing your coils, ever so slightly push them down into the cotton bed, be careful not to make any metal-on-metal contact.

Does that really work?? What about the air holes on the side of the deck??
I can see that it should work, mmm... The heat from the bottom of your coil heats the wet cotton.... ok...

This is a legit question as I am a noob when it comes to rebuilding...

Bahas

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Does that really work?? What about the air holes on the side of the deck??
I can see that it should work, mmm... The heat from the bottom of your coil heats the wet cotton.... ok...

This is a legit question as I am a noob when it comes to rebuilding...
It will work you just have to make sure your Omega's deck air holes are a little open and not blocked off by the cotton completely. Also don't super saturate or it will leak the e-liquid out(personal experience).

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

I've done that with a nano-coil dripper before for fun. It worked pretty well. :)

But, there are more kinds of vaping gear than just drippers. ;)

Using this Tencel fiber, I was able to do a non-folded wick in my Aqua clone by simply threading it part way though, holding on to one of the ends of the fiber, and pulling the rest through. It was a bit tight but worked nicely. No way I could have threaded that in manually.

SYpF5Mtl.jpg

VU Sponsors