Become a Patron!

A vendor wanting to pay Cash money to a reviewer to do a review, your opinion?

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
What is your opinion of a vendor wanting to pay Cash money to a reviewer to do a review of their eJuices? And what do you think the reviewer should do?
addtext_com_MTgwODE1Mzk4Njcz.jpg

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
If an E-Liquid manufacturer wishes to contribute products free of charge for an honest and unbiased review and they know that they are rolling the dice so to speak that the review could be Really Good, Really Bad, or something in the middle and the reviewer states in the review that the product in question has been furnished free of charge for the purpose of a review, IMHO that is just fine.

But if the manufacturer of an E-Liquid or any other product offers to PAY for a review, the reviewer needs to distance themselves from that company IMMEDIATELY!

Basically just drop them like a live grenade!

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As long as the reviewer is honest in his/her opinion and states in the review that they were compensated, I don't have a problem with it.

I agree, but once payment received is disclosed (which it should be), the review become null & void to me.

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Just a thought,

And treasure this because I have so very few of them.

If someone is paid to say "THIS IS THE GREATEST PRODUCT EVER IN THE ENTIRE HISTORY OF THE VAPING WORLD!"

Are they going to confess to the paycheck even in the footnotes (small print of course) if any.....................

HEY, I JUST GOT PAID $50 FOR WRITING THIS WONDERFUL REVIEW OF AN E-LIQUID THAT MADE ME PUKE AFTER TRYING IT AND I USED THE SURPLUS 28ml TO UNCLOG MY TOILET! YOU SHOULD BUY IT AT ONCE! IT TASTE LIKE CRAP, I WILL NEVER VAPE IT AGAIN BUT YOU SHOULD BECAUSE I GOT PAID $50 TO ROPE YOU IN!

God, I need my meds now!

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So there is a differentiation between receiving a product for free, for review and being paid?

Here is how I see it:

A. If someone decides to give you sex for free, that just fine and dandy right? You don't have to say it was great.
B. Now, If someone pays you for the same sex, then you're a whore.
C. You can't trust whores.

;)

dmska

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Just a thought,

And treasure this because I have so very few of them.

If someone is paid to say "THIS IS THE GREATEST PRODUCT EVER IN THE ENTIRE HISTORY OF THE VAPING WORLD!"

Are they going to confess to the paycheck even in the footnotes (small print of course) if any.....................

HEY, I JUST GOT PAID $50 FOR WRITING THIS WONDERFUL REVIEW OF AN E-LIQUID THAT MADE ME PUKE AFTER TRYING IT AND I USED THE SURPLUS 28ml TO UNCLOG MY TOILET! YOU SHOULD BUY IT AT ONCE! IT TASTE LIKE CRAP, I WILL NEVER VAPE IT AGAIN BUT YOU SHOULD BECAUSE I GOT PAID $50 TO ROPE YOU IN!

God, I need my meds now!
We don't necessarily know, that's the rub. Fwiw I don't follow many "reviewers", when I make a new purchase it's based on forum feedback,

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
So there is a differentiation between receiving a product for free, for review and being paid?

My point is this.

I have read and watched a lot of reviews on E-Liquid.

True that a lot of the reviews are from forum members (like us) that just have to tell the world that they have just purchased a most wonderful E-Liquid and want to share the joyous news with the vaping world.

Or warn others away from said E-Liquid as a public service.

Then there are the reviewers that have popular blogs and such where E-Liquid mixmasters may contact them and say, "Howdy! I think I make some really great stuff and I would like to send you some in return for an honest review!"

And then there are others that with a wink and a nudge will contact folks with a blog and such and say, "I make E-Liquids and I will send you some of my product and a $50 for an Honest (?) review.

And in case you are wondering, I don't have a blog or such. Just a retarded cat that is helping me write this.

If you are offered money then I would ask the vendor why? Do they not trust your honest review? If any reviewer takes the money for a review then my opinion would be that the review is null and void. This is not a reflection on the reviewer but on the party paying for the review.

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Perhaps there should be some type of disclaimer in the agreement. The reviewer (if respectable) has a reputation to uphold as well as the vendor. Neither one should jeopardize future business by lying about the product. That's plain, common sense. However, there's not much of that these days.

VarosVapor

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Recieving a product for review is one thing and already presents a difficult situation to reamain completly objective. However as long as there are no strings attached to receiving the product, then the vendor takes his chances and lets the product stand on its own merits. I buy 99% of what i review and its usually always something I am interested in, however the few things i have recieved free for review had no strings. The only pressure i felt was to actually do the review in a timely manner.

That said receiving cash payment is another thing altogether. To me its an implied contract (no I'm not a lawyer) and makes you a paid endorser or at the very least, someone on the payroll of the vendor. I would not feel comfortable with that at all.

Last edited:

Cruel-Phate

Just Thomas
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am not so sure about cash money for a reviewer.
I would feel more comfortable knowing the reviewer was giving an honest review and he/she has received free products-gift cards-registry of some sort. We already assume the juice was free but cash money puts a different spin and we the people love to judge people before we even know the facts so just just play it safe from a reviewers prospective so there is no accusing later to ruin the reviewers reputation.

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, and even when it's an honest review it's difficult to know if you yourself will like it.
As a side thought, wouldn't a vendor be placing a lot of chips on the table betting on one reviewer's opinion?

cherrycakes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I got free juice for written reviews before and I was still honest. If I hated a particular flavor I would say so. Of course I'd still describe in on the off chance someone else might like it. Never got paid in cash, unfortunately :(
The shitty thing is the guy who ran the site had affiliate links and he was getting paid for MY work. He promised me $$ and that was a lie. Between that and getting globally muted on ECF it's no wonder I distanced myself from the vaping community for a while...

Nikkita6

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I cannot speak for any other reviewer, but I do not accept payment in exchange for reviews, although I have only been asked this by Chinese manufacturers whom I also declined, and much to their dismay.

I will not judge any reviewer who does it, but its just not something that I would do. I didn't start doing reviews to make money, so I am not at all moved by the offer. Quite frankly I don't think that anyone could or would pay what I felt it was worth even if I did consider such an arrangement :p

Fenrjsulfr

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If someone is in a position where they are being offered money, it means that the party making the offer sees them as a viable marketing outlet. Marketing is a typical and often sizable expense for most companies. They can send free product and hope for a review or mention, but they may have reason to assume that many other companies are doing the same, and have no reason to expect that every one that does so will be chosen for a review/mention - if only because of the sheer volume of submissions. They'll be out product, and have no guarantee of a marketing opportunity. However, if they offer payment, acceptance of payment ensures that their product will be chosen. There is no requirement for a favorable review, just that one does occur. The fact that they are willing to risk a negative review shows that they stand by their product and are confident in its quality. In either case, the adage states that any publicity is good publicity. It isn't an indication of shady dealing by the company, but of the high perception of the reviewer as someone who is so well respected that they must be overwhelmed with submissions, and unable to cater to them all. They are paying for a service that they value, instead of hoping to receive the service for free via lottery.

The question pertains to "a reviewer" - someone established as a respected source for reviewing products. If it was an unsolicited offer to someone who has no history of reviewing for a testimonial, then it would be suspicious, but even then it would depend on context. If it was a "pepsi challenge" type scenario, say a live stream from an event where they offer cash to random people to complete a taste test, then offer 2 unlabeled bottles, and asked which was better, and it turns out to be "new company" juice vs "established company" juice, and the reactions were unedited - where is the harm? Is the money needed in this case? Probably not. Vapers like trying new juice. But simply offering the money is part of the marketing.

I find it odd that without context, the prevailing view is that any monetary exchange corrupts the system.

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have seen plenty of reviews, both hardware and juice, where it was said they received it free for the purpose of doing a review, and the reviewer called it crap.. No problems there and I tend to actually trust them more. Now, if I ran across another reviewer who says the exact opposite of several others and called it 'great', I would tend to think they got paid, or, decided to give a good review in order to get more free stuff later, aka, whoring himself out.

skocha361

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
This type of thing was a big issue in the video game review community not long ago. It was revealed that most of the big name reviewers had accepted money to play, review, or generally go on about certain games. One well respected guy (TotalBiscuit) came out eventually and spoke extensively on the subject. He said that he would and does accept money under the stipulation that his honest opinion will be heard. Some companies (EA, I believe) send a check and a contract saying you must speak well of their product. Those offers get turned down by honest reviewers, unless they really do enjoy the product.

Twisted420 is an honest reviewer. He's often said something along the lines of: "I was sent this authentic mod by so-and-so. Thank you guys so much for hooking me up! That being said, this thing SUCKS!" lol True integrity cannot be bought. The question is: do you trust the integrity of your favorite reviewer?

Steam Powered

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Paid or not makes no difference to me.
If the reviewer can make some $ I say cool, but you better be honest.
But if they ever promote a bad product as good then they'll naturally be pushed out of the system.
It's about trust. Some people will do a review for free just because it's a friends product.
That leaves just as much chance for bias as money does.
So ya just gotta know the rep. of the reviewer, paid or not.
Same deal with actors on TV commercials. If Sam Elliot endorsed a mod I'd buy it.
If Miley Cyrus endorsed the same mod...forget it! But both are being paid.

Last edited:

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
And in case you are wondering, I don't have a blog or such. Just a retarded cat that is helping me write this.
hahahahahaha this had my rolling @UncleRJ . thanks for laugh. now who wants to pay me for some reviews !!!!!! I only accept american express and preferably the Zambian Kwacha.

VU Sponsors