Become a Patron!

A1 Kanthal

Big Jake

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just received a 100ft spool of round A1 Kanthal 28g and have built up 4 different coils with it getting very diffrent reading. 2 of the builds were in the same device, no not at same time. All coils are micro and formed on 7/32 drill bit. coil 1 and 2 checked independently were 17 wraps and Ohmed out at 1.2 ohm. coils 3 and 4 were 14 wraps and ohmed out at 1.8 and last single coil is 10 wraps and ohmed out at 2.2 these coils all heat evenly from the inside to the edge and look nice and all have been made off of the same 28g kanthal spool. the less wraps Im do the high the ohms with this stuff never had this happen before but never bought a 100ft spool before either. the 2.2 single Im using right now and its throwing the vapor nicely I have not notice any weird taste. Bad kanthal, impurities in the wire, operator headspace mis alignment. anyone see this before?

jae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
None of what you just said (about less wraps = more resistance) makes any sense, but i like where you're going with "operator headspace misalignment" haha! Let's rule that out first, because you don't necessarily seem like the type to have that sort of problem. What are you using for wick? Are there any shorts (or opportunities for shorts)? Is anything potentially loose?

Big Jake

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I know it does not make sense thats why I asked so if someone else encountered something similar it could be verified.
I think I might have to make a vid and show the ohm in first person. the kid at the local vape shop several days ago asked me what build I had in it and I told him he snickered so I handed it to him and he removed it from my mech and stuck it on his vamo and he had the same reading I get at home 1.2 ohm with a 2 coils 17wrap 28g a1 kanthal. he lit it up and it heated correctly. Every coil on this new spool has been off like that tho. Im also doing these build on a omega that has had around 60 mil of juice ran across it. Do these things wear out? - RDA's

Thrasher

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
well first assumption would be very poor QC of the wire and it is fluctuating in diameter. second is mislabeled or second rate wire.
You never stated how you are checking the resistance, and things like dirty 510 threads, loose screws, wobbly posts, etc can throw readings off.

also things like less wraps but longer legs from the coil to the posts (in effect actually making the wire longer then you think) are things to pay attention to.

on top of that make sure everything is cleaned out real well once in a while.

Last edited:

jae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Actually i have been having some wacky problems lately myself. I'm using a Kayfun "primarily". I was making coils and they'd work ok most of the time, but then just stop working sometimes... i'd try to test them and get readings of anywhere from <1Ω to 9.xΩ and everything in between. I figured a wire was loose but then i'd prod it and shine flashlights at it and could find absolutely no issues whatsoever with my coil!

So just a little bit ago it happened again on a pretty new coil. I finally said 'to hell with it' and dumped juice and disassembled it. Nothing wrong at all. Not that i could see. There was some juice between the pos/neg blocks, so i figured it had to be conducting and causing a short or something. Blew it out - no change. I was exasperated.

But i did notice that when i twisted the assembly in the 510 connector on my Smok Omnitester, it would jump around quite a bit.

Thinking i was finally onto something, i removed the screw at the 510 connection and took it out, wiped it, blew through the hole, shined a light over top to be sure there was nothing weird in there, and put it back together.

It's been solidly stable ever since. Crossing my fingers! But i think i finally got that goddamn gremlin.

Don't give up. Take the whole damn thing apart if you have to - every little piece. Put everything in a tray so you don't lose anything, and make certain you know exactly what goes where. Clean it up real good. Put it back together and see if it's more normal again.

Big Jake

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah and today my vamo started acting up telling me low ohms on a nautilus. If it wasnt for crap luck I would have no luck at all.

tick22

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
sheesh, you mean besides everything else that can go wrong, we now have to watch out for vape gremlins???

maybe that is why, everything looks good but everything is messed up.

Will take that 510 connection apart and see if that helps. been checking out the coils and connections every time...

damn gremlins.....

Reactions: jae

Big Jake

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Im getting tired of the failure rate in these devices. I need to make my own. Anyone know where to get a good quality 510 connector that can be attached to a wood box and a button that will work unregulated. Ive looked at some online but the 510 connectors appear that I would need to guel it in and the buttons are not ratted for very high amperage. I need to check the other builders threads and see if info is up.

jae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
"...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

jae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And also Spok
Spock, who was forever constantly quoting Earth-based writers. I guess Vulcan has no writers of its own or something. Green-blooded goblin! Not to be racist or anything.

Last edited:

Galaxyrider

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Someone help me out here... I just wrapped my first coil on an 18 ga needle on the 4th, it was one of those have to things.. I was just guessing at what I was doing. I wicked it with cotton. Fortunately things turned out well, since I didn't have an ohm meter until I had finished the coil (it turned out to be exactly 1.4 ohms)
What is the difference between, nano, micro, macro.. and all that? Quit laughing.. we all have to start somewhere.. hahaha

Big Jake

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
a micro coil is when you heat the coil up with no wick and gently pinch together. this can be repeated until all coils are nice a tight against one another. I find I prefer this. Note.... I used unregulated mech mods. Depending on kanthal diameter and diameter of coil this is what determines your Ohms, hopefully. In the coil building section on this forum a calculator or two exist that can assist in determining your ohm value before you make it. Usually a good ballpark choice if your kanthal and device are in good working order.

Big Jake

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
New dripper's should be in today so Im going to use this 28g kanthal again and make new coils on a new device and see how the ohms check out.
see if its poor quality kanthal or my omega melted down where I cant see. I will be doing 2 ,14 wrap on 7/32 drill bit 28g micro coils on a copper stillare

VU Sponsors