Become a Patron!

About breathing (worth? and for haw long or how many times?)

Severinomotta

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Hi guys,

I'm very new in "real" vape world. (Used a Smok Pen 22 for one year) but just last month bought a good mod and tank :)

So, in the last 30 day i've got myself enjoying everything i see or read about DIY.

Beside de coils, decide to make my juices.

Yesyerday did two, not fruit, not mint, did in the dessert style. By my calculations they end like 64VG/36PG and 3,2mg Nic.

I dont have any fancy gear, so i know i have to shake them well like three times a day. Keep them im a dark place (some warm place also, but i dont have such a place).

My doubt is about breathing.

Should i let them breath for like, uh... 20 minutes everyday, or just in the first day? or have to do it in alternated days (each two, each 3, dont know...) during the steep process?

Thanks for all you guys.

Best for the community.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Hi guys,

I'm very new in "real" vape world. (Used a Smok Pen 22 for one year) but just last month bought a good mod and tank :)

So, in the last 30 day i've got myself enjoying everything i see or read about DIY.

Beside de coils, decide to make my juices.

Yesyerday did two, not fruit, not mint, did in the dessert style. By my calculations they end like 64VG/36PG and 3,2mg Nic.

I dont have any fancy gear, so i know i have to shake them well like three times a day. Keep them im a dark place (some warm place also, but i dont have such a place).

Should i let them breath for like, uh... 20 minutes everyday, or just in the first day? or have to do it in alternated days (each two, each 3, dont know...) during the steep process?

Thanks for all you guys.

Best for the community.

Just keep them in the dark - warm/cold isn't mandatory at all

For shaking, just shake a little with your hands when you have time or think about it

Many of us have abandoned the practice of letting them breath - some of the more advanced mixers believe it diminished the flavor later rather

You will likely get many other answers/opinions on this

Best of luck on your journey!

Severinomotta

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Just keep them in the dark - warm/cold isn't mandatory at all

For shaking, just shake a little with your hands when you have time or think about it

Many of us have abandoned the practice of letting them breath - some of the more advanced mixers believe it diminished the flavor later rather

You will likely get many other answers/opinions on this

Best of luck on your journey!
Thanks (as always), JuicyLucy

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Thanks (as always), JuicyLucy

I used to heat steep, breath it, put a lot of extra effort into my juice and it was anxiety producing, lol

Now I mix it, shake it real good and forget about it till I need it and its just as good, maybe even better, than when I did a lot of extra steps

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Do not breathe your juices. It will cause a loss in flavor. The only reason to ever do that is if a flavor you used contains alcohol. Even then, I still don't do it.

As for steeping, I shake the hell out of it right after I mix and then again if I want to use it. I think people put way too much stock in steeping. If it tastes good when you mix it, then vape it. If not, store it away for awhile.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Do not breathe your juices. It will cause a loss in flavor. The only reason to ever do that is if a flavor you used contains alcohol. Even then, I still don't do it.

As for steeping, I shake the hell out of it right after I mix and then again if I want to use it. I think people put way too much stock in steeping. If it tastes good when you mix it, then vape it. If not, store it away for awhile.

It is also degrades nicotine to expose it to oxygen - in some cases it can make your juice peppery

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It is also degrades nicotine to expose it to oxygen - in some cases it can make your juice peppery
For sure and heat steeping can do the same to nicotine.

To add to all this, I'm not a scientist but I play one on TV. Steeping just allows your ingredients to meld together at a molecular level. So I don't see how adding oxygen to your mix and allowing evaporation would help them bond together.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
For sure and heat steeping can do the same to nicotine.

To add to all this, I'm not a scientist but I play one on TV. Steeping just allows your ingredients to meld together at a molecular level. So I don't see how adding oxygen to your mix and allowing evaporation would help them bond together.

I think it goes back to the old days, when we used crappy flavorings at 30-40%

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I think it goes back to the old days, when we used crappy flavorings at 30-40%

d7de0333c52b6e6aff3252b73517e257.gif

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
All of the above.....all I do is mix, Shake the hell out of it and leave alone for a week. Shake again, test and see where it’s at. Some bakery/dessert/creams need at least 2 weeks.

Hillbilly Pig

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
Only 2 reasons to let a flavor breathe IMO, it has a very strong amount of alcohol taste, or it's FA vienna cream(love the flavor but damn does it smell and taste awful without it)

It's already been said by the people above, but might as well give my 2 cents as well. You don't need to be a damn paint shaker with your juice, just shake after you make it and before you vape it, mix and throw in a box and go watch or do something you like. Some people swear by the heating method, and hey if it is what works for you, do it. Ultimately though, it's what works best for you, I'm a shake n wait guy, but hey I only know how I do things. Best of luck to ya, happy mixing :D

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I shake it once right after mixing, but I figure all those little air bubbles are going to affect the nicotine, which I'm EXTREMELY sensitive to. I can only tolerate 1mg now, 1.5 or 2 for just a few minutes, or I get all flushed and pulse-pounding, etc. However, I still need that little bit of nic. So one shake for me, and then when I'm pouring from the big bottle I mixed in, into a smaller dropper bottle, I "slosh" it a bit. I don't shake it again, just a back and forth sloshing in case there's been any settling.

I used to do all those extra things, shaking several times a day, "steeping" in an ultrasonic cleaner, leaving the tops off overnight, etc., etc., blah, blah, blah, and all it ever did was make my juice dark (the nic was oxidizing) and the flavor didn't seem as good. Its so much better when it's unfussedwith. :)

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If a mix contains flavor(s) with alcohol, I'll leave it uncapped for an hour or two then put it away.

All DIY beginners go through the same process. It's an obsession at first, trying everything you read and worrying about it. Eventually, if you stick with DIY, you'll have so much juice to vape that putting a bottle on a shelf for two months is quite easy. Hell, a lot of us will mix a recipe with the intention of vaping it with a week or two and we won't get to it for months.

Focus on finding a handful of recipes you enjoy vaping. You'll have to go through quite a few to do this, but stick with it. Once you have those recipes, make two months worth of juice and then you'll be relaxed about it all. You'll then be able to experiment without worry knowing you have a steady supply on hand. Before you know it, you'll have 2 liters of juice waiting to be vaped and you'll end up giving some of it away.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Just like James Bond, shaken, not stirred. And "Time Is On My Side". I don't have any special steeping rituals, just mix it and let it sit a while in the dark...

zeeter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years

See my post called Another Steeping Thread and ignore the nitpicking comments in there about a joke I made in the original post that was taken way too seriously.

Breathing is critical to the process. What that does is oxygenate the liquid so the alcohols can be removed. This will dramatically improve the flavors of your liquids. Many people do not oxygenate but instead put enough flavoring in to overpower the alcohol. You can do that but it wastes a lot of flavoring.

After one day leave the cap off for 12 hours. Do not shake it first. That will mix the alcohol back in and slow the process. You wait a day for the alcohol to rise to the top, let it breathe for 12 hours, and then you should be good to go after the proper steeping time. During steeping the PG and VG molecules bond into a compound and this gives off the best vaping experience.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
What that does is oxygenate the liquid

Exposure to Oxygen contributes to Oxidation of the Nicotine which will cause your e-Liquids to basically spoil way before it time. Ever wonder why an UNOPENED bottle will last longer than an opened one?

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I used to do all those extra things, shaking several times a day, "steeping" in an ultrasonic cleaner, leaving the tops off overnight, etc., etc., blah, blah, blah, and all it ever did was make my juice dark (the nic was oxidizing) and the flavor didn't seem as good. Its so much better when it's unfussedwith. :)
+1

VU Sponsors