Become a Patron!

Accidentally used the wrong charger!

ahw88

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi all, I'm brand new to vaping, so please be gentle! I have a K3 Aspire, only been using it for two months. Earlier tonight I hurriedly put the battery on a charger without looking at which one I was using (we're painting the kitchen so all the chargers were thrown together in the same area on the counter, in the dark no less). I came back around 15-20 minutes later and the battery (and charger itself) felt hot. Not burn your hand hot, but definitely warmer than warm. Turns out I'd grabbed the charger to my Kindle! I know, I'm an idiot. Now my question is, can I ever use this battery again?! It was plugged in for just a short time but I'm paranoid the thing will blow up on me when I use it.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
as long as you let the battery cool down before using it you should be fine.
It just got hot because it was on a faster charge cycle then normal.

My battery charger has 0.5a, 1a, and 2a charge settings and if i use 2a the batteries will get pretty hot.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Oh and no you are not an idiot.
I plug my usb charging mods into the wrong charger sometimes and so does a lot of other people.

The difference is you know it's not a good idea where many people think it doesn't even matter.

So you are smart which is the opposite of an idiot. :)

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What charger volts and amps was used........Kinda depends on the charger used..... wrong voltage... I'd toss the battery. ... wrong amperage depends on the amps.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
All batteries get warm when charging... Look at the kindle charger... is it .5a-1v or is a 2v charger?.... If it's only 1v all should be fine. If it's a 2v, there could be issues and I personally would not trust it.

ahw88

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank you everyone! I have a hard time understanding wattage and voltage and amps. The charger looks like this:

Attachments

• IMG_1933.JPG
    IMG_1933.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 19

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
That's a 5v wall wort... my guess is you fried your battery.

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
If it was mine... I wouldn't use it... ain't worth blowing your face off for.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Welcome to vaping. We've all done something that we shouldn't have. And then we do this :cuss2:.

This pretty much says it all

Frankly, I would at least try out the battery, others wouldn't

Having done the same thing back in the day, I used the battery anyway, being over 300 miles from a vape shop, just went outside and cautiously tried out the battery

It's a judgement call

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Every wall wart power supply I have is 5v, they supply power to the charger in your mod. They don't do the charging, your mod does the charging.

If anything were damaged, it would be the charger in your mod, not the battery... that's if your mods charger can't take 5v. The mods charger should put out a safe charge rate for the installed battery regardless of the wall wart being 1a or 2a or 3a. Just because the power supply can put out 3a, doesn't mean it will at all times. The charger pulls the power from the supply so if mod has a 1a charger built into it and you hook it up to a 2a power supply, your battery will recieve 1a. If the mods charger can only take say 3v for whatever reason then the charger is what is getting hot inside your mod and what is getting damaged.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
By the way, I looked up your mod and didn't find any specs anywhere. Does the manual give you max volt input to the usb?

ahw88

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Every wall wart power supply I have is 5v, they supply power to the charger in your mod. They don't do the charging, your mod does the charging.

If anything were damaged, it would be the charger in your mod, not the battery... that's if your mods charger can't take 5v. The mods charger should put out a safe charge rate for the installed battery regardless of the wall wart being 1a or 2a or 3a. Just because the power supply can put out 3a, doesn't mean it will at all times. The charger pulls the power from the supply so if mod has a 1a charger built into it and you hook it up to a 2a power supply, your battery will recieve 1a. If the mods charger can only take say 3v for whatever reason then the charger is what is getting hot inside your mod and what is getting damaged.

Thank you! I'm pretty new to the terminology too so please forgive me. Is mod short for model? Im glad you explained the power supply thing, because I just looked at the adapter is normally use and it says it's a 5V. So basically what you're saying is that because it wasn't the normal USB cord, that's why it's dangerous? I feel so dumb. All I know is that you're only supposed to use the USB that comes with the vape. It only came with the cord, not the adapter, so I've been using a Motorola adapter. And from what I THINK I understand, that is also dangerous?! Ugh im the worst kind of newb

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Hi all, I'm brand new to vaping, so please be gentle! I have a K3 Aspire, only been using it for two months. Earlier tonight I hurriedly put the battery on a charger without looking at which one I was using (we're painting the kitchen so all the chargers were thrown together in the same area on the counter, in the dark no less). I came back around 15-20 minutes later and the battery (and charger itself) felt hot. Not burn your hand hot, but definitely warmer than warm. Turns out I'd grabbed the charger to my Kindle! I know, I'm an idiot. Now my question is, can I ever use this battery again?! It was plugged in for just a short time but I'm paranoid the thing will blow up on me when I use it.
If it was just really warm I wouldn't be afraid to use it. Too hot to touch I wouldn't use it. Yours was just warmer. I looked for specs on the battery nothing about charging current just says you can charge with a laptop or pic USB and the USB 2.0 version is 5V @ 0.5A, your charger was 1A, not a big deal it's just gonna be warmer than a 0.5A charge rate. You're good to go pal just use a 5V 0.5A wall charger in the future though I don't think 1A is that big a deal if it's not too warm, I charged my istick 30 with built in battery with a 1A charger and both would be moderately warm while charging.

ahw88

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Okay so I found the manual online and it says it has overcharge and overheating protection. It says the light will turn blue and orange and cease functioning. When it was hot and still plugged in, the blue light was still on. I'm not sure what qualifies as being too hot. It wasn't even slightly warm, it was hot. Not enough to burn myself (if that's a thing) but it was definitely hot enough to be like "wait a minute, that ain't right". Anyway, I'm still extremely confused on volts and input and output and mods etc. Thank you all so much for helping me!!! Here's the link:

http://www.aspirecig.com/uploads/pdf/Aspire_K3_kit_user_manual.pdf

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Cord makes no difference, a micro usb is a micro usb cord when it comes to charging.

The wall wart power supply puts out 5v, that it pushes. If you have a 3v charger, 5v may be a problem. I would think most if not all mods have a 5v usb charger since that is the most common wall wart power supply. Anything but 5v usb charger would be like building a car that requires leaded fuel.
Too much voltage and that can burn out the charger built into your mod (stick thingy your tank is on, tube with the battery & button) but it sounds like your mod wants 5v.

The amps is what the wall wart power supply can provide max but whether it is 1a or 30a power supply, your built into the mod charger will pull 1a if it's a 1a charger or 2a if it's a 2a charger.

The over heating protection is most likely for when your vaping, not while it is charging but I don't know that mod so I can't say for sure.

It shouldn't be "hot". Warm, yes. But it really shouldn't be uncomfortable to hold type of hot. How old is it? Sorry if you said already.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I looked at the manual and it shows it plugged into a laptop and those are commonly 5v with 2.5a capability so the Motorola ppwer supply is fine... any other wall wart power supply will be fine too.

ahw88

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I looked at the manual and it shows it plugged into a laptop and those are commonly 5v with 2.5a capability so the Motorola ppwer supply is fine... any other wall wart power supply will be fine too.

I can't thank you enough for explaining!!! I decided to try to charge it again using my regular charger, and it didn't even get warm. So any idea why it got hot with the Kindle charger? I have heard that their chargers are of lower quality, maybe that had something to do with it?

ahw88

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Forgot to clarify, it's two months old. I chain vape though. Used to be a smoker and this is my alternative. :)

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A kindle 5v, 1a power supply shouldn't be any different than any other power supply of the same specs but... if that makes your mod hot while charging and others don't... don't use the Kindle power supply I guess. It shouldn't be an issue but it is so avoid it.

Reason I asked age is batteries wear over time and internal resistance rises creating more heat in the cell. But at 2 months old it should have another year or so of life left in it.

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Laptops don't put out 2.5A from USB, USB 2.0 is 0.5A and Newer USB 3.0 specs are 0.9 A.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Amps really don't make any difference.

That's like having a 100w mod. Just because it can do 100w doesn't mean it runs at 100w at all times. 100w is it's ceiling, but you may ask it for 40w or 60w.

If the charger wants more amps than the power supply can put out, the charger just won't be able to charge at max capability. The power supply will limit the charge current but it will still charge and not have any issues besides being slow.

Volts are another deal, that you can't exceed by much and best not to exceed at all.

ahw88

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It says my battery has a 1200 mah capacity (that would be just over 1a correct?) and the output is 5.5V. What's the difference between input and output, especially when it comes to charging?
Shew, I'm learning quite a bit! Lol thanks so much

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Capacity is how much fuel you have in the tank. How much run time you can get out of a cell. A 3,000 mah cell is a bigger fuel tank than a 1,200 mah cell.

Output limit is what the board can handle and boost the cells voltage up to and provide power to the atomizer.

Input is what the built in charger can take in voltage.

1,200 mah is 1.2a, correct.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I would imagine that you are used to charging your device at 5 volts and 0.5 amps so when you plugged it in to the kindle's charger you were charging at 5 volts and 1 amp.
So you were charging at double the rate as normal which caused the battery to get much warmer then it had in the past.
You have an Aspire which is a decent brand of device so are good to go though since 1 amp isn't going overboard when it comes to charging.

VU Sponsors