ACK! Recipes Wiped Out!

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid - General Discussion' started by two2wheels, Jan 11, 2017.

1. two2wheels

two2wheels New Member

Blog Posts:
    All of my recipes & inventory stored on E-Juice calculator have disappeared! This program was awesome, and yes, FREE, but I didn't expect to lose 6 months of recipes. I hesitate to print them out before perfection, so I have few that I have been able to save.
    So sad.

2. The Cromwell

The Cromwell VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    I have a 3 ring binder that all my proven recipes go into.
    Along with which coil works best in what tank, etc.
    A listing of all my flavorings.
    And a listing of my reserve flavorings that I use for my 4 ADV's.

3. f4milytime

f4milytime VU Donator Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    That sucks so badddd,....Nothing like ol' reliable paper.

4. Foggz

Foggz Gold Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    oh that sux! .. sorry to hear this.. how did that happen? did the file get corrupt? if you can recover the file, might be able to save it.. ??

5. Huckleberried

Huckleberried Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    I'd be MAD! Yeah, I keep a notebook, too. Still, that really sucks. I wonder of the creator of the calculator could help ya out? Is there contact info?

Foggz likes this.
  6. Deeks

Deeks Silver Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    That would suck :( I feel for you. I have mine all saved on my work computer, home computer, and many notebooks. I mainly use excel and built in some formulas to calculate the actual gravity of a lot of flavors since I mix by weight.

7. The Cromwell

The Cromwell VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    Gravity is not always a constant.

8. Deeks

Deeks Silver Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    I realize this, that's why I scour the MSDS sheets for the flavoring companies I use to get their specific gravity for each separate flavoring. When I'm mixing a liter of something I don't use a 1 to 1 ratio, I prefer the actual gravity of said flavors so that's how I do. If I'm mixing like a 30 or 50 ml bottle I don't generally worry about specific gravity and assign it a 1ml to 1g ratio.

9. two2wheels

two2wheels New Member

Blog Posts:
    I have just found contact info, so I'll let y'all know....

Huckleberried likes this.
  10. fratervapor

fratervapor Bronze Contributor

Blog Posts:
    Reminder to self: make another backup

Rin Vapes and Huckleberried like this.
  11. Teresa P

Teresa P Platinum Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    Hard copy is good, but I doubt it'll be the first thing on my mind if my house catches fire (which was a bigger possibility than what I wanted to face this past November here in east Tennessee)...I do have a couple of 3-ring binders full, but anything in them is also saved to the laptop and desktop, Dropbox, and I also make it a habit to send the better ones to myself via email. ;)

12. Foggz

Blog Posts:
    nice! but to be extra safe you should send me a copy ... just in case ;)

13. two2wheels

two2wheels New Member

Blog Posts:
    Glad my misfortune has served to remind everyone to be responsible!
    GREAT NEWS, though. The program developer got back to me and helped me find my files and get them back where they belong.
    Shout out to him; it was really great of him to help out.
    I STILL think this is the best calculator out there:
    http://diyjuicecalculator.com/

14. VaporCarp

VaporCarp #BlackRiflesMatter VU Donator Gold Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    Do you actually say ACK in day to day life?

15. two2wheels

two2wheels New Member

Blog Posts:
    I do indeed.

Huckleberried and VaporCarp like this.
  16. Teresa P

Blog Posts:
    Time for @two2wheels to make a backup, eh?

Foggz and RonJS like this.
  17. Foggz

Blog Posts:
    Great to hear that you were able to recover those!!

18. Teresa P

Blog Posts:
    Dropbox is worth much more to me than the $9.99 per month that I pay for it. ;)

19. MrScaryZ

MrScaryZ VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    As much as it sucks its a lesson in learning to always back up your data one way or another and in a format that can be restored
    in a pinch the fastest way to store things in the media coined "Cloud" is to email yourself your data that way you always have it. Google is a godsend that most do not use its capabilities its free 15GB of data that is more than enough for storing personal data for life. I have had Google since the Beta days and I am still only on 8GB of total use and I really use it and archive almost all my email resumes , ejuice recipes etc

misswish, Deeks and Teresa P like this.
  20. two2wheels

two2wheels New Member

Blog Posts:
    Do you mean you keep a separate email acct just for storage? i do frequently email myself to keep certain data, but I'd hesitate to store any personal info like passwords through gmail.
    I dug up an old thumb drive, plan to pick a new one up but in the mean time I will be backing up my files on it. I also plan to send a donation to the developer of my 'free' juice calculator.

misswish likes this.
  21. MrScaryZ

Blog Posts:
    Nope if you have a gmail account google you automatically get 15gb of data surely this is enough for any doc's and alot of stuff minus movies etc.. Like I said its been gosh 16 years and I still have 7GB and its always been stored online reason I do this is if I need to edit a resume or lets say get a file it does not matter where I am or what computer I am on. I have work folders etc so I can do whatever I need anytime anywhere without dragging usb dongles around.. usb dongles have their place but in reality they also go bad get lost etc.. hope this helps.. Its a way of getting cloud storage without paying a fee.. and without signing up for other services

Teresa P and RonJS like this.
  22. Teresa P

Blog Posts:
    Yep, I have "Recipes" folders in my gmail and yahoo mail, easy access from any device. ;)

23. two2wheels

two2wheels New Member

Blog Posts:
    Oh, wow, I didn't know that was available. I do have gmail, will have to research how to get that. Thanks for the info! VU crew is so cool!

24. MrScaryZ

Blog Posts:
    Its simple man log into your gmail account then go to another browser windows http://www.google.com/drive
    thats all there is your storage

25. RonJS

RonJS Silver Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    I use Google Drive and am completely satisfied. Simple drag & drop. If you pay for internet usage by the gig, and have a lot to transfer, you might wish to seek out a Free wi-fi hotspot to do it. ;)

Ron
    ---
    " A friend of mine once said that any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."-Dr. Walter Bishop, Fringe

26. two2wheels

two2wheels New Member

Blog Posts:
    Thanks, I'll try that.

MrScaryZ likes this.
  27. HotRod19579

HotRod19579 Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    For future reference and anyone having the issue that @two2wheels had:

The calculator "remembers" the last file that it had opened and when it is launched, it is automatically opened. There has been an occasional issue where the calculator forgets the last file and doesn't automatically open it when the calculator is launched. When this happens the first reaction is thinking that all of your recipes and ingredients are lost which is not the case. I haven't been able to determine why the calculator is forgetting the last file that was opened, it has only happened to a few users and I don't know the trigger.

The fix for this is easy. You just need to do a "File->Open" and open the juice file that you have been working with. The problem for many users is they don't know the name/location of the file in order to open it. In case this happens to you, make a note of the name of your file, shown in the title bar of the calculator, and also make note of the directory that you have the file saved in. By default it is in a subdirectory of your "My Documents" folder with a subdirectory name of "JuiceCalculator" or "EJuiceCalculator".

Also I would highly recommend that you tell the calculator to automatically make backups of your juice file. You can turn this on by going to "Tools->Options" and go to the "Backups" tab.

28. Rin Vapes

Rin Vapes Silver Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    That was horrible. My cousin and her husband live in Pidgeon Forge and have properties and a shop there. She said she was terrified the whole time. She heard the fires were started on purpose??

Teresa P likes this.
  29. AndriaD

AndriaD Shine on, you crazy... VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 2 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    I don't know the status of the case, but I did hear that someone was arrested for arson for the Chattahoochee Nat'l Forest fire. We had smoke quite a few days down here in metro ATL!!!

Andria

Rin Vapes likes this.
  30. Teresa P

Blog Posts:
    Yep, by two kids. 15 and 17 years old. And the older one's father works for the Anderson County sheriff's department, that's where they're from. A tourist came forward with video of the little bastards flipping matches out over the Chimney Tops.
    Which business do they own? Hopefully they were unaffected, but it came within two miles of our house and we're pretty much in the middle of Pigeon Forge.

Rin Vapes likes this.
  31. Rin Vapes

Blog Posts:
    Aunt Debbie's Country store. Last I heard, the property wasn't effected but mentally was a different story.

Teresa P likes this.
  32. Teresa P

Blog Posts:
    It's ripped my PTSD a new one, I feel so sorry for them.
    From the front porch we could see the sky glowing orange from Pine Mountain, which is the back side of Wears Valley. From the back porch it glowed from the fire coming down the Spur, that crooked road that connects Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. It was like being dead center of hell, seriously.
    Thank God for firefighters coming in from all over the US, as well as National Guard. But it was senseless. At least 14 confirmed dead and quite a few that will never be identified because of the "crematory" effect the fire had on their bodies. Billions of dollars in damage. Some are still homeless because there is so little housing here. And of course the greedy asses who have property to rent, they just won't lower their astronomical prices.

Rin Vapes likes this.
  33. Teresa P

Blog Posts:
    I know where that is! When we lived on Wears Valley, I passed it every day going to and home from work. :)

Rin Vapes likes this.
  34. kh1

kh1 Bronze Contributor

Blog Posts:
    That's a bummer, hope u can retrieve them

35. Rin Vapes

Blog Posts:
    Yep! That's my cousin. Cute little place. I only got to visit once but it was lovely down there.

Teresa P likes this.