VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
After many people telling us of a bug in the ad block popup we have removed it. We were getting a ton of reports that people were getting the popup even though they white-listed the site.

We are moving to have a less intrusive notice explaining why adblock hurts this site.

Wabah58

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'll allow the ads, and do click when curious. They are not intrusive to me and the page downloads quick.

Myk

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I never ran an ad blocker for years and years figuring that's what made the internet go 'round. But advertisers got too intrusive and annoying. I don't mind not running it for simple banner ads.

My bug with the pop up was it wouldn't go away with a mouse (locked up my browser) and when I figured out how to get it to go away it came back too fast to open ABP and approve the site. I had to pull out my old gamer reflexes to get it done. It never came back for me.

BunnyAssassin

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
White listing seems to be working for me, found some great vendors thru the banners on this site. They are not obnoxious like many other sites. Keep up the great work Joe!!

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Since the popup is gone, I may as well reveal the "secret": you don't have to put up with Adblock blocker scripts on any site:

Anti Adblock killer script.

I have Adblock and AAK enabled by default, because I hate ads with a passion - be it on the internet, TV or roadside billboards. Ads are brain pollution, and I value my brain more than somebody's source of income. But if the site is worth it and the ads aren't intrusive, I'll disable them for this site. That include VU, if only because the mobile version didn't have the popup, which is the sort of nice touch I appreciate, being that internet access through 3G isn't cheap.

Spike64

Vapemail Stalker
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The ads never bothered me. Some of the least intrusive I've seen on a site...honestly, they are barely even noticeable and haven't affected the experience for me here...some folks are over the cliff offended by them though...I don't understand the extreme angst, but to each their own I suppose...

duroSIG556R

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I think this is a good move, considering we're the minority. I've come back to the forums and I can only hope the other people that were turned off by this will do the same.

Jonnymac

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Didn't realise I was blocking ads from this site - Changed.

timinftl

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
After many people telling us of a bug in the ad block popup we have removed it. We were getting a ton of reports that people were getting the popup even though they white-listed the site.

We are moving to have a less intrusive notice explaining why adblock hurts this site.
Not the worst site by any means, just nice to have the option used or not.

Not by any measure the worst site at all but the freedom to block or not denotes a sweet atmosphere for sure!

Last edited by a moderator:

VU Sponsors