Become a Patron!

Add Apple CarPlay to your existing vehicle with Kenwood DDX6902S and DDX6702S

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
KWeX6902S-600x335.jpg

Back in the 90's and early 00's, I was one of those punk kids who drove around with his aftermarket stereo blasting rap music. Yes, I had a subwoofer in my trunk that would shake both my car and my neighbors' houses. While I still love rap music, I have outgrown the obnoxious behavior of forcing my music on others.

Car tech and music are still loves of mine, however, albeit it at lower decibels. I have been considering upgrading the stock stereo in my Ford Focus lately (I don't even have Bluetooth), and today Kenwood announces two receivers that pique my interest -- the DDX6902S and DDX6702S. As someone who just ordered an iPhone 6s Plus, these both feature something I desire -- Apple CarPlay.

If you aren't familiar, Apple CarPlay enables you to interface with your iPhone and certain apps -- including Apple Maps with navigation -- through the touchscreen on the head unit. Both of these new offerings from Kenwood feature a 6.2-inch touch display.

"Built-in amplifiers enable each unit to power directly connected speakers, making them ideal drop-in replacements for factory radios. For custom applications, the Excelon DDX6902S includes three 5-volt pre-amp outputs and a 7-band equalizer. The Kenwood DDX6702S includes three 4-volt pre-amp outputs and a 5-band EQ", says Kenwood.

The company further shares, "onboard entertainment options include a full suite of content including digital channels via HD Radio, CD and DVD, and terrestrial AM and FM. Both units are also SiriusXM-Ready and can connect to the optional SXV300 tuner (sold separately) to access hundreds of audio channels (subscription required). With a connected smartphone, the entertainment options increase with built-in control of Pandora Internet Radio and iHeartRadio".

sxv300-600x390.jpg

Besides offering entertainment and iPhone connectivity, both the DDX6902S and DDX6702S can improve safety too. You see, they can be connected to a backup camera so you can see behind you and help prevent accidental fatalities and accidents. While this is becoming standard on newer cars, most on the road do not have it.

The starting price of $800 seems reasonable, however, it can quickly get much more costly. Adding both the backup camera and SXV300 SiriusXM tuner will push you to $1,000 or more. This doesn't include installation, hardware and wiring to make it all work. While I can do without a backup camera in my little Focus, SiriusXM is a must (I'm a big Howard Stern fan).

Keep in mind, you can take these receivers out of your existing car if you sell it (so hold onto the stock stereo you are replacing) and most likely install it in your next car too.

Will you upgrade your car stereo to add Apple CarPlay? Tell me in the comments.

Jc-VHaRaKQU

Continue reading...

VU Sponsors