Become a Patron!

Advantage of dripping/squanking over tanks???

Psychobunny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What is the advantage of dripping over just using a tank?

It's still juice going into cotton on a coil, so what's the difference how the juice gets delivered?

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Look at it this way: a dripper in a very small tank, with all the juice is contained in the cotton. You have to you refill every few minutes, but that also means you can change flavor every few minutes.

BareVN

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ease of builds, Ability to change liquids whenever you want, more direct airflow and flavour ( for the most part) less to go wrong with them, more robust if you happen to drop it....theres a few I can think of, plus I like the look of a stubby RDA on my mod as opposed to my tower of a Kylin sometimes

Psychobunny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Look at it this way: a dripper in a very small tank, with all the juice is contained in the cotton. You have to you refill every few minutes, but that also means you can change flavor every few minutes.

Ok, but when u change juice flavor, isn't the cotton still wet with the last stuff? And what if your on the road, do u need to carry a dripper bottle around?

Psychobunny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ease of builds, Ability to change liquids whenever you want, more direct airflow and flavour ( for the most part) less to go wrong with them, more robust if you happen to drop it....theres a few I can think of, plus I like the look of a stubby RDA on my mod as opposed to my tower of a Kylin sometimes

Do you have any favorite drip tanks? I would like to try, that's why I am asking these stupid questions... LOL

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The squonk bottle holds more juice than most tanks do so longer run time between refills.
Better flavor from most RDA's than most tanks.
No leaking on airplanes and in hot cars.

BareVN

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Squonking gets rid of the need to drip again, as for the flavours mixing on wet cotton, you can dry your cotton off. I will vape on my RDA until the cotton is dry and then decide if im changing flavour. You get the hang of it when you start. My favourite RDA is the druga, easy to build, looks great and you get an awesome flavour with it

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok, but when u change juice flavor, isn't the cotton still wet with the last stuff?

To a point, yes. It can take 2 or 3 recharges to get rid of a particularly sticky flavor and replace it with something totally different. (like going from menthol/eucalyptus to caramel for instance. But going from peach to apple, or from menthol to mint, usually the previous flavor goes away immediately.

And what if your on the road, do u need to carry a dripper bottle around?

That's what squonkers are for :) But if you have a plain-jane dripper, you can also get an EZ Dripper: those things are great!

Psychobunny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
To a point, yes. It can take 2 or 3 recharges to get rid of a particularly sticky flavor and replace it with something totally different. (like going from menthol/eucalyptus to caramel for instance. But going from peach to apple, or from menthol to mint, usually the previous flavor goes away immediately.

That's what squonkers are for :) But if you have a plain-jane dripper, you can also get an EZ Dripper: those things are great!

Ok, so if u have a squonk mod, can u still use it for tanks?

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What is the advantage of dripping over just using a tank?

It's still juice going into cotton on a coil, so what's the difference how the juice gets delivered?

Is your house, car or clothing ect. the same as everyone else?

The answer, is why.

For me. advantage is WHERE the juice is kept... otherwise your right it's just a mod..... I use my cReo Grand squonker mosty for rough duty. Things like outdoor activities and such. Where I need a rugged mod and atty and don't want to carry juice. The bottle holds like 12ml, almost 2 days worth of juice. I can go on a overnight hike with just 1 spare battery and no leaky juice bottle.

Psychobunny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Is your house, car or clothing ect. the same as everyone else?

The answer, is why.

For me. advantage is WHERE the juice is kept... otherwise your right it's just a mod..... I use my cReo Grand squonker mosty for rough duty. Things like outdoor activities and such. Where I need a rugged mod and atty and don't want to carry juice. The bottle holds like 12ml, almost 2 days worth of juice. I can go on a overnight hike with just 1 spare battery and no leaky juice bottle.

I havent tried dripping yet.. but i suppose if i liked it, the logical thing would be to get a squonk mod....

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Squonking beats them all in my book

Dripping? Ugh

Tanks offer convenience but few can match the flavor of an RDA, like used in squonking

Tanks also come with a steeper learning curve to build and wick

Psychobunny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Dripping? Ugh

Tanks offer convenience but few can match the flavor of an RDA, like used in squonking

Tanks also come with a steeper learning curve to build and wick

I dont mind building my own.. because i am good with stuff like that.. i'm just lazy... :rolleyes:

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I am going to be looking at squonk mods.. but that means i will need a drip tank rda?

Usually they are sold as "bottom feed" atomizers (BF)

Dripper and tank are two different atomizers, though there is now such a thing as the above mentioned RDTA (rebuildable drip tank atomizer) and a few of those come with squonk (bottom feed) pins

A few squonk mods come with BF atomizers, but usually they aren't that good

What are you vaping now?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Another consideration before buying a squonking RDA is what style of vaping do you enjoy?
MTL? restricted Lung hit? Or wide open high power clowdz?

You may have stated this but I am old and forgetful.

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Tank needs re-wicked?
- Remove tank from mod
- Figure out what to do with the whatever juice is left in the tank.
- Disassemble tank
- Re-wick.
- Reassemble and re-fill tank
- Reinstall tank on mod.
- Vape

Squonker needs re-wicked?
- Pull cap off RDA
- Re-wick
- Put cap back on.
- Vape

Squonk mods keep their juice supply in a separate bottle, well away from the hot chamber. Tanks keep their juice supply in intimate contact with the hot chamber; not exactly good for the juice.

Tanks constantly flood or get gurgly with changes in pressure/altitude or temperature. Squonk mods don't have that problem.

Squonk mods have a form-factor that can live happily in my shirt-pocket, where I kept a pack of smokes for 3-1/2 decades. No mod with a tank on it has ever been comfortable to carry that way, although I suppose some side-by-side mods potentially could.

Another thing you can't do with a tank: Try filling the bottle of a squonk mod with unflavored liquid. Drip in flavored as needed. After a while, you may find that most juices are horribly over-flavored which leads to flavor-fatigue.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I have been a RDA/RTA/RDTA gear head for the longest time and I felt there were 2-4 really good Tanks out there that check every box...BUT I picked up a $15 Boxer BF clone from 3FV and I have been in love with it the entire time Ive had it. I did have to add 2 orings to the Bottle Cap and bend the Negative Contact up to grab the battery tighter but its been the best thing Ive used since the Broadside Tube...so much so I bought a Dual Parallel 20700 Squonker a week later...

Imagine taking your favorite RDA and without changing anything design wise or performance wise it became a tank....imagine if all your RDAs suddenly had the capability of becoming a tank with 7ml without doing anything extravagant...

My Boxer Clone and 20700 box are small....handsomely so, and I love the feeling of not having to carry a bottle of juice with me around the house or to the store but sill having my favorite RDA and build. Imagine taking your favorite RDA setup, Box, and a Bottle of juice and putting it into a package smaller then your hand and in one piece...but without anything changing...Its better then a Tube Mod and a Unicorn Bottle for Travel by far...

My 2 Newest Setups...$15 for the Boxer...I highly suggest anyone looking to Squonk to grab it..
4cf9bd98f13fcfcf8a796f4d6902db1f.jpg
7a6050b3ccc89377271e9d1142710d6f.jpg

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Tank needs re-wicked?
- Remove tank from mod
- Disassemble tank
- Re-wick.
- Reinstall tank on mod.
- Vape
Tanks constantly flood or get gurgly with changes in pressure/altitude or temperature. Squonk mods don't have that problem.

Hmm you must have been using the wrong tank.
Me it is turn tank upside down.
Unscrew base with RBA in it.
Replace RBA with another one already coiled and wicked.
Screw base back on tank.
Throw used RBA in cup of water to soak in preparation for recoiling/rewicking.

gurgly or leaky? Only 2 instances in over 2 years of using the STM V2 with RBA.
Lost the oring on an rba and bad wicking on my part once.

this summer a filled STM has been in my go bag which is left in my car in the hot sun from time to time.
No dribbly so far.

The Sub Tank Mini V2 the best under rated tank out?

Imho topfil tanks pretty much suck.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

:) Agreed.

I dont mind building my own.. because i am good with stuff like that.. i'm just lazy... :rolleyes:

Check the link above for already made coils. All you need to do then, put them into the deck, wick, wet and vape. The links below offer some affordable RDA choices for squonking. Please understand too, nobody can tell you which RDA will be the best or simply best as that is matter of subjective tastes. We all have to find out what suits ourselves. Yes, it is a bit of a curve to go at, it is worth it. :)

Usually they are sold as "bottom feed" atomizers (BF)

Another thing you can't do with a tank: Try filling the bottle of a squonk mod with unflavored liquid. Drip in flavored as needed. After a while, you may find that most juices are horribly over-flavored which leads to flavor-fatigue.

I am finding a lot of truth in this & enjoying the ability to save on costs. As you thin down flavored juices with an unflavored base the flavored juices last longer. That equates to less need to buy or mix up flavored juices.

Ok, but when u change juice flavor, isn't the cotton still wet with the last stuff?

Easy enough work around. See @Rossum 's bit below. Yep, we buy cotton, rayon, ceramic wick. I even know someone that uses processed quartz rods as wick. He says they do real well. Not got the gumption nor $$s yet to give that a try myself. Currently, I am enjoying the differences between organic cotton & rayon, having switched from the later to the former or vis a vis. :)

- Pull cap off RDA
- Re-wick
- Put cap back on.
- Vape

Last edited:

Psychobunny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Tank needs re-wicked?
- Remove tank from mod
- Disassemble tank
- Re-wick.
- Reinstall tank on mod.
- Vape

- Pull cap off RDA
- Re-wick
- Put cap back on.
- Vape

Squonk mods keep their juice supply in a separate bottle, well away from the hot chamber. Tanks keep their juice supply in intimate contact with the hot chamber; not exactly good for the juice.

Squonk mods have a form-factor that can live happily in my shirt-pocket, where I kept a pack of smokes for 3-1/2 decades. No mod with a tank on it has ever been comfortable to carry that way, although I suppose some side-by-side mods potentially could.

Thanks for all that... So, I am looking at bottom feed drip tanks, but cant find any clear ones.
I want to see how much juice i squonked...
If its not enough, i get a dry hit.. no fun....
too much, and i will get a mouth full of juice, and the rest runs down the side of the mod.
What do you do to control how much your squonking? :huh:

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for all that... So, I am looking at bottom feed drip tanks, but cant find any clear ones.
I want to see how much juice i squonked...
If its not enough, i get a dry hit.. no fun....
too much, and i will get a mouth full of juice, and the rest runs down the side of the mod.
What do you do to control how much your squonking? :huh:

The bottle, you will get a feel for how much you need to squeeze, depending on the set up you get. The softness of the bottle, the thickness of the juice and the drain capabilities of the attie all come into play, so there is no one set answer.

If you are going for an actual tank (RDTA) that squonks, I can't think of any with a window onto the deck. However, you don't really need to see what you are squeezing on an RDTA, you can see the juice level in the clear tank below. The Gaia and Pindad are two RDTAs that come with squonk pins. There are probably others out there.

If you go for a bottom feed RDA, the Tsunami 24 comes in a version that has glass windows where if you look carefully you can see the coils and watch the juice saturate. With that said, it is a very airy type attie, and has very high leak potential due to the poor design of the air flow. Folks seem to either love it or hate it. I hate it, lol

CactusFanaticus

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I believe the bomber tech pin dad rdta has a translucent window in one version, if that's what someone is looking for.

I have vaped on and off since 2010 or so, never looked into dripping because I was ignorant about it and under the impression you had to drip every puff lol. Just started using rda's a couple months ago to see what the fuss was about and haven't used a tank since, night and day flavor difference IMO.

The other great advantage is no more buying premade coils unless you want to, building is like a hobby in itself. Also learning about building opened me up to mechs, which I love. My first squonker is scheduled to arrive tomorrow, can't wait.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
The Gaia RDTA by Cthulhu is a Tank that Also Squonks...its also one of the most intense Flavor Devices Ive tried...why not have both?

Psychobunny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The bottle, you will get a feel for how much you need to squeeze, depending on the set up you get. The softness of the bottle, the thickness of the juice and the drain capabilities of the attie all come into play, so there is no one set answer.

If you are going for an actual tank (RDTA) that squonks, I can't think of any with a window onto the deck. However, you don't really need to see what you are squeezing on an RDTA, you can see the juice level in the clear tank below. The Gaia and Pindad are two RDTAs that come with squonk pins. There are probably others out there.

If you go for a bottom feed RDA, the Tsunami 24 comes in a version that has glass windows where if you look carefully you can see the coils and watch the juice saturate. With that said, it is a very airy type attie, and has very high leak potential due to the poor design of the air flow. Folks seem to either love it or hate it. I hate it, lol

Thanks again for all that detail.. it really helps.. though i have been vaping 4 years, i never even tried dripping.... but have a few rebuild atties
with the coils already installed, and i have the cotton stuff... so i will do some dripping :) ... i assume everyone who squonks started with
dripping, and loved it.....

VU Sponsors