Become a Patron!

Advice needed on building a sub ohm dripper!

BenOAA97

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So guys I very recently upgraded from a small mod to my first box mod and RDA, but I still feel in the dark about building my own RDA, what's safe and what isn't. I have a small knowledge of how to build, what the safe Ohm readings are etc. But no real knowledge of the right wicking material or wire to use.
I'm using a Smok Xcube2 with a Compvape 13 Heavens 9 Hells RDA. Any help would be appreciated! Current setup is below, this is what the shop set up for me when I bought it! Currently running at .51 Ohms.

Attachments

• 1456409093086-50533729.jpg
    1456409093086-50533729.jpg
    593.7 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
5a7ce5bd2d9e3af6febfef24d2f79f73.jpg

I would try to get your coils centered in the deck, like this in my Dark Horse..I'm sure others will chime in with suggestions too..good luck!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BenOAA97

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
5a7ce5bd2d9e3af6febfef24d2f79f73.jpg

I would try to get your coils centered in the deck, like this in my Dark Horse..I'm sure others will chime in with suggestions too..good luck!

Thanks for the suggestion! Like i said, the guy in the shop set this up for me how he sets his own up. Once I find somewhere decent to get my wire from I'll have a play around with centering and everything! Any suggestions on type of wire and/or wicking material ?

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for the suggestion! Like i said, the guy in the shop set this up for me how he sets his own up. Once I find somewhere decent to get my wire from I'll have a play around with centering and everything! Any suggestions on type of wire and/or wicking material ?
I like 24g kanthel.. And Organic or Japanese cotton for wicks..I don't drip much anymore when the Griffin RTA came out..but still prefer 24g kanthel or 24g Nichrome to build it..like in this pic
9e087bad3f515bee3a363b87d8d35240.jpg

Same clouds/flavor as my Dark Horse but with a tank..its great!

DED420

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's what the shop set up for you? That's actually kind of saddening, I would feel bad if I sent someone on their way with coils like that. It's one thing for an amateur who doesn't build, but if you work in a B&M, you should be able to wrap some decent coils for people.

Here's a really easy build, couldn't be any simpler, and works pretty damn well too.
Dual Spaced Coil, 20g A1, 6-8 Wraps, 3mm ID, around .15ohm. (spaced coils don't have hot spot issues either, which makes it that much easier)
This is a low sub-ohm build, so it will take some power, and tax your batteries, so if all day battery life is important to you, I wouldn't recommend this (With a similar build, I swap my batteries at least once throughout the day, semi-chain vaping). Very similar to pic posted, just dual coils with more wraps. A higher resistance can be achieved with a finer gauge wire and more wraps, but this is a good starting place. It'll produce great flavor, and has good vapor production.

IMG_20150930_175916.jpg

To start, I'd recommend just sticking with Kanthal, don't bother with TC wire at this stage. For just basic coils, alot of people use 20/22/24/26 gauge, it's easy to wrap and manipulate, and not overly springy, so coils hold their shape better. Finer wire is used for Claptons and the like. And most of us use solely OJC (Organic Japanese Cotton) like Muji or Koh Gen Do.

BenOAA97

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That's what the shop set up for you? That's actually kind of saddening, I would feel bad if I sent someone on their way with coils like that. It's one thing for an amateur who doesn't build, but if you work in a B&M, you should be able to wrap some decent coils for people.

Here's a really easy build, couldn't be any simpler, and works pretty damn well too.
Dual Spaced Coil, 20g A1, 6-8 Wraps, 3mm ID, around .15ohm. (spaced coils don't have hot spot issues either, which makes it that much easier)
This is a low sub-ohm build, so it will take some power, and tax your batteries, so if all day battery life is important to you, I wouldn't recommend this (With a similar build, I swap my batteries at least once throughout the day, semi-chain vaping). Very similar to pic posted, just dual coils with more wraps. A higher resistance can be achieved with a finer gauge wire and more wraps, but this is a good starting place. It'll produce great flavor, and has good vapor production.

View attachment 42034

To start, I'd recommend just sticking with Kanthal, don't bother with TC wire at this stage. For just basic coils, alot of people use 20/22/24/26 gauge, it's easy to wrap and manipulate, and not overly springy, so coils hold their shape better. Finer wire is used for Claptons and the like. And most of us use solely OJC (Organic Japanese Cotton) like Muji or Koh Gen Do.

Any advice on where best to buy the wire and Cotton in the UK ? Or trusted Amazon/Ebay suppliers ? And if any of you could keep recommending different wraps/wire or ways to set up it would be much appreciated! And yes I would be looking for battery life to be lasting a full day or two because of work!

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I might add usually lower ohm builds require more power to fire them...It could be a factor on how long a batt goes on a single charge, like lasting all day at work..And below .2 ohms always has produced a hotter vape than I prefer.. That said I like my builds to be between .25 - .3 ohms...
The above contact build (pic) in the Griffin is 10 wraps of 24g Nichrome on a 3mm bit at .28 ohms..10 wraps covers alot of cotton and I don't have a problem with hotspots at all, even though it is indeed a contact build..
Vapes awesome at 65-70w, and I get 15hrs+ on a single batt charge vaping it all day long..let us know how it goes!

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DED420

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Any advice on where best to buy the wire and Cotton in the UK ? Or trusted Amazon/Ebay suppliers ? And if any of you could keep recommending different wraps/wire or ways to set up it would be much appreciated! And yes I would be looking for battery life to be lasting a full day or two because of work!

I live in Canada, so I have no idea where you could buy it from locally, but for wire, you can order online from KindeyPuncher.com , they ship to the UK. For cotton, I get mine from a local B&M, they sell 180 sheets packs of Muji OJC for $10, lasts for months (years if you don't rebuild almost every other day lol). This is the same stuff, and comes directly from MUJI, for about $8 [ amazon.com/MUJI-Makeup-Facial-Cotton-Unbleached/dp/B00VHA3ZXQ ]

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The guys here have you on the right track.

I'll add that if you want to spin simple coils, a universal tool coiler or Kuro coilers are the shit. Perfect coil every time.
I use Puffs organic cotton (can be had on Amazon) and most of my wire came from lighting vapes.
I use 24 gauge Kanthal the most. Most of my builds are .4-.5 ohms.

DED420

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here's a tip.
If you got questions, ask away. We are happy to help.

Yeah, we're always glad to help, but it is significantly easier to answer questions, than to just throw pointers at you. Half this forum is just tips and tricks, so take a peak around, you're bound to learn something.
Welcome, and enjoy your venture into the Underground!

BenOAA97

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What liquids would you recommend for a sub ohm RDA that's both good for cloud and flavour chasing ?

What sort of Ohm range would be safe for my current build ? And what is considered a dangerous Ohm range ?

greasegizzard

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'll add another +1 for 24awg kanthal. I'm running a dual 7 wrap that comes in at .32 ohms in my RDA. And a parallel 7 wrap that comes in @ .32 ohms in my TFV4. I use rayon for wicking, though. I don't have much experience with cotton.

greasegizzard

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I thought the same thing. I haven't been building long, my coils have never looked like that. I bet whoever built that would not use it in their own set up.

View attachment 42034

DED420

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I thought the same thing. I haven't been building long, my coils have never looked like that. I bet whoever built that would not use it in their own set up.

IKR? My very first ever coil wasn't half as shawdy as the right coil in the pic (probably closer to the left one). Those are the kind of coils I would expect from a first time builder, but not someone working in a B&M. That should be one of the job criteria IMO, not just knowledge, but application as well.
But I guess when all is said and done, at least it functioned and didn't short the mod, and in turn brought someone new to our community. So I guess it's not all bad. Just kinda sad.

greasegizzard

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Also, it will be easier to position and center your coils if you skip the first positive set screw. At least it is for me.

Sent from my LeapPad LeapFrog

DED420

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Also, it will be easier to position and center your coils if you skip the first positive set screw. At least it is for me.

Indeed, the only time the leads should be in the first set screw is if you're running quads, other than that, the leads should be staggered, fitted into the second set screw.
I won't say I didn't do that the first time myself :oops: (did dual in a Troll RDA), but I very quickly realized my mistake, and wrapped and installed some more coils properly, before even leaving the store. Made a word of difference, the airflow lined up properly, and wicking was alot easier too!

Last edited:

Brady_Bunch_27

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Im gonna go against everyone here and say that you should use N80 wire instead of kanthal. Its no harder to work with with the benefits of having better flavor and vapor. In regards to the wicking material i havent used rayon before and but if you take care of the wick cotton bacon is good for an RDA. All good advice for you, hope you get one to work

BenOAA97

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for all the advice guys! Payday tomorrow so will see what I get and try a new setup when it arrives and let you all know and see what I do with it!

DisasterousDan

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey dude

I am only new at rda's and building coils too and i found a calculator online which is great for telling you how many wraps to make, depending on the gauge of wire you use and the inner diameter of the coil and stuff like that. This is the link, http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp?s=dp&r=0.5&awg=24&id=3

As for buying wire and wicking material, I got a 5m roll of 24g kanthal on ebay for £3.99 and it came with cotton pads.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A1-Kantha...hash=item2ca2a4f84d:m:mv_ShD9G2XWiO_3cgEfsLxA

There are plenty of tutorials on YouTube about wrapping your own coils and about battery safety so have a look there.
This is my first ever coil build and it's been doing me good for about 2 weeks now

image.jpg

BenOAA97

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey dude

I am only new at rda's and building coils too and i found a calculator online which is great for telling you how many wraps to make, depending on the gauge of wire you use and the inner diameter of the coil and stuff like that. This is the link, http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp?s=dp&r=0.5&awg=24&id=3

As for buying wire and wicking material, I got a 5m roll of 24g kanthal on ebay for £3.99 and it came with cotton pads.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A1-Kantha...hash=item2ca2a4f84d:m:mv_ShD9G2XWiO_3cgEfsLxA

There are plenty of tutorials on YouTube about wrapping your own coils and about battery safety so have a look there.
This is my first ever coil build and it's been doing me good for about 2 weeks now

View attachment 42562

I bought a coil kit which came with some Kanthal and then I also bought some 26g Clapton wire and so far I'm liking the clapton other than the fact of longer heat up. Currently at 0.53Ohm too, which isn't bad at all. Nice flavour and big clouds. Loving my Element liquids on it as well but at the moment, Grape Drank by Ruthless is a winner for me, massive clouds and tastes just like KA Black Grape!

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So guys I very recently upgraded from a small mod to my first box mod and RDA, but I still feel in the dark about building my own RDA, what's safe and what isn't. I have a small knowledge of how to build, what the safe Ohm readings are etc. But no real knowledge of the right wicking material or wire to use.
I'm using a Smok Xcube2 with a Compvape 13 Heavens 9 Hells RDA. Any help would be appreciated! Current setup is below, this is what the shop set up for me when I bought it! Currently running at .51 Ohms.
What the hail.....

Vape On

VU Sponsors