Become a Patron!

Advice on coil and ohm choice

Hi all

I'm after some advice on my coil and ohm choices as I have tried many different combinations of both but can't seem to find a middle ground of type of coil and ohms that provides me with the vape I want.

I use multiple devices, both mech and regulated, rda's and rta's. My main to mechanical setups are the coilart mage and mage RDA tricker kit and an avid lyfe Manhattan with a recoi rda. My main regulated device is the voopoo too with the dead rabbit rta.

I have tried dual 22g - 5 wraps, dual parralell 24g - 5 wraps, dual parralell 26g - 6 wraps, framed Clapton's and aliens. I know my ohms law and have plenty of quality batteries so I'm good on this front.

My problem is many of the above mention builds provide large clouds, the dual parralell 24g - 5 wrap seems to provide the most flavour but is a little too warm and ohms in at 0.12 ohms an I use single 18650 mechs. Yet the framed Clapton's ohms were around 0.2 and gave me a thicker chewy cloud which I seem to prefer but lacked the flavour. The aliens I'm using now dual are 0.21 ohms but provide poor clouds and poor flavour. So what would be best so I can get a nice thick chewy vape that's packed with flavour?

Sorry about the length of my post I just wanted everyone to have as much information as possible to help narrow down my choices.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Aliens usually provide pretty good flavor and decent clouds. It could be your rda, it could be the way the coils are positioned. Often times people suggest placing the coils near the airflow which makes sense. I've had the opposite effect on postless decks like the csmnt, flavor improved when I pulled the coils closer together even though it contradicts the closer to airflow standard position. It could be the coils themselves and type of wire. Hard to say without knowing if you made the coils yourself, bought handmade coils, using factory machine made chinese coils.

Taste is subjective but if you're using kanthal maybe try ni80. Stainless is a bit too low resistance and can make building for mechs a pain, the low resistance for the gauge of wire usually means you'll get a hotter than desired vape. I don't use mechs but on regulated I run smaller fused claptons similar to an alien. Usually triple core 3x28g with a 38ga ni80 wrap and 2.5 to 3mm id. They're thinner gauge medium diameter coils with around 5-6 wraps. They don't have to be big beefy coils to get thicker vapor.

I've used premade china stuff in the past that the coils just got hot with little flavor while supposedly stainless coils. Not like I make mine from the most premium wire, I tend to use coil society and lightning vapes mostly. Though even with cheaper chinese UD wire I've gotten better flavor making the coils myself vs premade stuff. And if it's like demon killer or some other mass produced 'alien' then it's not a true alien coil most likely. Machines to my knowledge aren't capable of producing true aliens. Could just be funky coils?

It can also depend on the juice you're using, is it thinner 60/40 or 70/30 or something thicker vg like 80/20 or 85/15? The higher vg will produce thicker clouds. Many of these things may already be stuff you're aware of, but without knowing all the variables those are places I'd start.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Here's another thread discussing coils. There is also the site's search function. The site also has a coil building section. I apologize if this reads as mean, nasty, smart, rude, snarky, smarmy, sarcastic, cynical, ... I do not mean to have it read in any of those ways. I'm genuinely attempting to help. There's only so much folks can recall after a while & the forum is apparently in a/the coming back around phase. Sometimes free information can drown us. *chuckles* Know I often had to ask about Linux docs. "Yeah but where do I find it in all the on-baord docs?" It was often too daunting to attempt reading.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I haven't used Mage RDA or Recoil RDA. They both appear to be reliant on wicking vs being able to drip onto the coil.
Perhaps a newer, more flavor oriented RDA. Like this one that's super flavorful with 1 or 2 coils. Not 24mm though. I run it in w/1 coil and it makes wonderful flavor and vapor production.
https://cloudist.store/Unicorn-Vapes-Axial-2325mm-RDARSA_p_85.html
Single coil would open up other coil choices and resistance breathing room. 3/4/and 6 core aliens here https://www.advancedvapesupply.com/collections/prebuilt-ss-coils

Last edited:

VU Sponsors