Become a Patron!

Advice on coil builds with a quick ramp up time

Jsgillis86

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Welcome, forumites, to another "help the noob" thread. Many thanks in advance for your contributions.

A little background. I've been wasting tons of wire for the past month or so trying to familiarize myself with my personal preferences and since I've determined that I appreciate, above all, a quick ramp up time and a good cloud. My simple go-to build is a single coil parallel using 24 gauge Kanthal, 2.4mm ID, 6 wraps. Comes out to .28-.29 ohms. A 2-3 second hit at around 60 watts just does it for me.

Last night I stayed up into the wee hours of the morning failing miserably at juggernaut wire until I finally got one strand right. A few wraps later and...my god...I was missing out on some serious flavor without sacrificing too much of that quick ramp up that I love. So I got to wondering...

What types of builds do you use that provide the quick ramp up time I fancy and still produce a satisfying cloud? Not looking to start a coil war, just interested in what's done you right in the past/present.

I definitely favor the cloud over the flavor, but I'm in no way complaining about a little (or a lot) of flavor.

I don't mind burning through some wire or even an intermediate difficulty build. I say intermediate because I've seen some ridiculous shit on YouTube. Thus far I've wrapped Claptons, Juggernaut (once), and have made parallel and twisted coils, if that gives you any idea of where I'm at currently.

So without further ado, what's worked for you? What should I try next? If you were me with the knowledge you have now, what would you do? If you need more info, feel free to ask. I'm on the endless search for the Goldilocks coil here, even though I know I'll never find it.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The ramp up time is mostly dependent on the mass of the coil.
The more metal you have to heat, the more time it would take it to heat up and cool down.
Higher wattage will compensate for that.

Jsgillis86

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ah, but there's the kicker. I should be receiving my first mech tomorrow. I'm looking to replicate the experience mechanically. Or one up it.

Before the onslaught of mech caution hits, I've beaten mech safety into my head for a month now and believe I have a solid enough grasp on the ideals behind it to handle one.

I understand the concept of more metal equals slower ramp up/cool down as well and have experienced both. In all honesty I think I'm looking for an excuse to build more advanced coils that what I have been, and asking for direction.

Jsgillis86

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You were right nightshard. My apologies for the arrogance.

Turns out the answer to my question was a simpler build with less wire and increased airflow, not a more complex one with more wire blocking it off. Jeez I like to overcomplicate things.

Thanks for setting me straight.

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Try Stainless Steel.... Quick firing and ramp up is minimal....
50148308ddd415fc65ff0cfbb9cee015.jpg

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Dutch0hms

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Try Stainless Steel.... Quick firing and ramp up is minimal....
50148308ddd415fc65ff0cfbb9cee015.jpg

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk
how manny more times am i gonna see this pic o_O.

Try 28ss/40ni80 fused claptons on a mech :")

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Imo ss takes more watts to run than kanthal. For faster ramp up time def go for n80.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Brad Mitchell

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I really liked the 3 core 28/36 fused 316L clapton. The first draw was meh because it needed to heat up. After the initial hit it was great. The only thing is it sucked the battery pretty fast. I would have been much better if I wasn't chain vaping littereally all day due to being at the biker rally down in galveston for weekend.

Also if you have a mod with preheat the ramp up would probably be nonexistent.

LoneHawk

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
i like to do dual triple twisted 26g n80 about 6-7 wraps

Lactone

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Have you tried staged heating coils ? try a 26g Ni80 core, claptoned with 36 ni80. paralleled with single strand of 26g Ni80 , 5 wraps around a 3k id. I think you will fall in love. you get huge clouds, amazing Clapton flavor without the Clapton ramp up issue . ni80 definitely has great ramp up time and is incredibly easy to work with as it us quite soft and malleable . cheers!

VU Sponsors