Become a Patron!

Advise on RDA's

philup23

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have been reading through the threads here and reviews of different RDA's. I want a black one, but have read stay away from painted RDA's. I like the 510 drip tips and would like to be able to use one, but not this is an absolute must. I am new to vaping so this will be my first RDA. I have an understanding of ohm's law and how it applies to vaping. Basically my question is what would be a good one to start with that I won't need to upgrade as I get more comfortable with building? Price range is 0-75.
Features that I would like to have:
•Black in color, but not painted
•Not terribly tall
•The option to use 510 drip tips
•Possibly adjustable air flow (that's if this is something worth having on a RDA)

I will be using it on Smok m80 plus and a ipv mini II. I just want one and have a tank for use when in public, and then possibly one for both devices.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Anything not brushed or polished stainless steel will be painted. They have to get the color on their somehow.
The Baal is nice but I'm partial to the tugboats the v2 at mfs https://www.myfreedomsmokes.com/shop-by-brand/flawless.html
Is on sale right now for 72.95 and another 15% off with coupon code:newmfs15 its really bargain that atty is 90$ anywhere else and there are several other caps available for it with more airflow, different airflow and totally changes the vape experience for 35-45$.
Ive been using said for the last year.
Adjustable airflow, different colors, easy to build

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The black ones are not painted? I take it that ones that are different colors are, but I never see them mention that in a description.
The metal appears to be vapor deposit for the color, but not on the inside of course. This is a non-paint alternative, it's a coating that is electrochemically bonded down to the metal's crystalline structure. It's quite safe to vape.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Powder coats for coloring is usually quite safe as well. The main thing to worry about, is when the color is on the inside of the RDA. Usually, most of the colored RDAs have the color on the outside only.

Besides the two RDAs mentioned already, the Royal Hunter is a good flavor RDA, the airflow is similar to the Tugboat. Another cheap, but original RDA, is the Mutation X V3, with the airflow control you can have a lot of airflow, or you restrict it to your liking.

BrattVapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I might be wrong here. But the Mutation x V3 although now an older option with the V4 out I believe is not painted black, I have one and I believe when I purchased mine I was told this.. Might be worth it to check out the Mutation line lots of love for the 4 out recently. All are cheap... The 3 is not super tall, with an option for derlin drip tips and 510 tips. Sounds like something you're looking for..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Anything not brushed or polished stainless steel will be painted. They have to get the color on their somehow.
The Baal is nice but I'm partial to the tugboats the v2 at mfs https://www.myfreedomsmokes.com/shop-by-brand/flawless.html
Is on sale right now for 72.95 and another 15% off with coupon code:newmfs15 its really bargain that atty is 90$ anywhere else and there are several other caps available for it with more airflow, different airflow and totally changes the vape experience for 35-45$.
Ive been using said for the last year.
Adjustable airflow, different colors, easy to build
You can color a RDA without using any paint by applying heat. This for example is done with the RDAs, that have rainbow colors.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
You can color a RDA without using any paint by applying heat. This for example is done with the RDAs, that have rainbow colors.

My bad i'll remember that next time I buy a black atty and the finish starts flaking off
And an op asks about a rainbow color

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I might be wrong here. But the Mutation x V3 although now an older option with the V4 out I believe is not painted black, I have one and I believe when I purchased mine I was told this.. Might be worth it to check out the Mutation line lots of love for the 4 out recently. All are cheap... The 3 is not super tall, with an option for derlin drip tips and 510 tips. Sounds like something you're looking for..

The black Mutation Xs, I believe, are powder coated. I have V1-4, also all in black. I don't recommend the V4, due to the airflow ability from below the coil(s). It can be tricky to get the wicking right, for a Beginner.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My bad i'll remember that next time I buy a black atty and the finish starts flaking off
And an op asks about a rainbow color
Yep. If it flakes off, get pissed and take a torch to that thing!

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Yep. If it flakes off, get pissed and take a torch to that thing!
Shah, every black atty I've bought has flaked (or chipped)all have been crushed, pif'd, or returned and replaced by media blasted or brushed

ie-
freakshow, freak show mini cuff cap, auth tugboat v2, TUGBOAT anarchist cap, magma infinite clone.

Hmm maybe I stand corrected, I have an old black clit3 that taken a good beating and still colored.
(dirty minds)

Last edited:

BrattVapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The black Mutation Xs, I believe, are powder coated. I have V1-4, also all in black. I don't recommend the V4, due to the airflow ability from below the coil(s). It can be tricky to get the wicking right, for a Beginner.

Yep I agree, I would look at the 3 if that was my wishlist.. I'd say if I had to buy a 3 again, I would. Solid RDA. Honestly don't believe I could say the same about my Doge X2...

Hope I helped OP out.

philup23

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank you all for your responses and insight.
Powder coats for coloring is usually quite safe as well. The main thing to worry about, is when the color is on the inside of the RDA. Usually, most of the colored RDAs have the color on the outside only.

Besides the two RDAs mentioned already, the Royal Hunter is a good flavor RDA, the airflow is similar to the Tugboat. Another cheap, but original RDA, is the Mutation X V3, with the airflow control you can have a lot of airflow, or you restrict it to your liking.
You know I didn't think of it that way. Being painted on the inside as being the problem. When I am ready to get an RDA, I think I will stick to no coloring. I just couldn't stand if it got chipped and the color coming off! My m80 has a mark near the reset button and it really drives me crazy.

philup23

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well, looks like I have a mutation v4 tomorrow. Gave my coworker my Vape Wild Fruity Hoops and he is giving me the RDA. Building a coil for me and wicking it so I can use it when he gives it to me. I will use the rebuild coil on my Subtank to learn and take my time before I get into using the RDA full time, but at least I will have one when I feel more comfortable with it. It's not black, but can't beat the price lol.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Congrats dude!!!!
Sounds like a damn good deal from a damn good dude!!!!
Im sure you'll enjoy it!!!!

philup23

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Congrats dude!!!!
Sounds like a damn good deal from a damn good dude!!!!
Im sure you'll enjoy it!!!!
Yes definitely a good guy. I offered to pay him some and he just said "F*@$K NO!! You gave me this juice so I will give you the mutation!" Okay works for me! I didn't know he was heavy into vaping, but we sat there for an hour and talked vaping lol. Box mods, batteries, coils, clouds, RDA's, etc. never used an RDA to Vape from before so he let me use his to try it out........ Boy the flavor!!!! The cloud!!! Completely different experience than a tank! I just gave him the juice to be nice and let him try Vape Wild's product since they are so cheap. I had no idea I would get an RDA out of it or more knowledge. Just "vaping it forward" in a way

VU Sponsors