Become a Patron!

Air Travelers, Be Warned some state driver’s licenses that don’t meet acceptable security standards

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Air Travelers, Be Warned

Starting next year, TSA cannot accept some state driver’s licenses that don’t meet acceptable security standards.

Travelers, don’t say we didn’t warn you. Beginning in January 2018, driver’s licenses from some states may be rejected as a form of identification for boarding an aircraft.

The Travel Security Administration (TSA), while gradually implementing the REAL ID Act passed by Congress in 2005, has announced that starting next year it cannot accept some state driver’s licenses that don’t meet acceptable security standards.

Residents of nine states — Kentucky, Maine, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and Washington — may need to use a passport or some other government-approved identification unless their driver’s licenses are changed by next year. Other states have been granted extensions while they prepare to comply with the requirement.

Signs have been placed near checkpoints in some airports to notify passengers.

“This doesn’t mean that people will be told, ‘Hey, you can’t fly,’” a TSA spokesman said on Wednesday. “You’ll just have to have another form of ID.”

1140-new-license-airport-checkin.imgcache.revccc053cd6d0a86c9f2d3490dbd3baf25.web.jpg

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Other states have been granted extensions while they prepare to comply with the requirement.

My state, Alaska, has a waiver

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Your state is not on the list of the 9.

Other states have been granted extensions while they prepare to comply with the requirement.
^^^^^
We are one that got a waiver. Those nine did not.

I fly in and out a bit and keep my eye on this

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Makes me glad we both had to go thru a bunch of BS last year to get certified copies of our birth certificates, to get our licenses renewed with the pretty hologram on it. :D Even though we never fly... at least we COULD if we really needed to.

Andria

forza

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Fortunately I have a passport card because I go to Mexico about twice a month so I'm good regardless.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors