Become a Patron!

Alcohol

red6

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Serious problem. Everything from a simple berry and cream to following cloned flavors taste great for a day or two after making. After the third day it just tastes like alcohol.
What did I do wrong?????

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Might be your nic liquid, or too much sweetener. Make a 1 flavor batch, try it and then let it steep for a week or longer. I've found that steeping (1 day with the cap off) tends to help. Give it a try.

PS: Are you using ethyl maltiol as a sweetner?

Last edited:

red6

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
One of the recipes I did was a simple strawberries and cream.
TFA sweet strawberry 4%
TFA sweet cream 1%
TFA bavarian cream 1.5%

Cooked at 130 degrees for 4 hours
let bit sit in the crock pot with the lid off for 24 hours.
Filled bottles and let sit with the top off for another 24 hours.

If I vape it any time within 72 hours from cooking it's a very good vape. Any time after that it tastes like alcohol. I have a batch that's a week and a half old from cook date.
As well as some that's 4 days old from cook date.
There both have the same alcohol taste.

It's the same with the others that I have made. Even the simple dragon fruit. That's just 15% dragon fruit

All recipes are kosher VG /pg from heartland vapors.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
most fruits dont need "cooking"

it's easier for 10ml bottles and up, to use syringes.. most drops are never accurate..
and its easier to replicate any recipe using percents..

i never go above 8% for dragonfruit.. try diluting that bottle in half.. :)

from the sound of it, you are heating your flavoring and then toping off with vg??

no.. :)

you need to mix it up all at once, unless it specifically says to premix steep..
i do have a few recipes like that, but always fill up with vg.. ;)

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Couple of suggestions: the percentages in the first recipe are very low for TFA flavors. I use FA flavors mostly, which do use very low percentages, but given that you're putting in a crockpot you may be fading those flavors.

Leaving in a the crockpot with the the lid off for 24 hours shouldn't necessary - I don't even think any of those flavors are alcohol based? (Someone correct me if I'm wrong?) In fact, I would suggest that 4 hours in the crockpot might be overkill for such low percentage flavors. Just letting sit in the bottle (capped) for 24 hours should be enough.

What level of nic are you using, and what percentage of pg/vg?

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
well tfa doesnt make a sweet strawberry.. the other shows:

Strawberry Flavor
Water soluble.

This is a fresh, natural strawberry flavor.

**Note: Occasionally, this flavor can show a bit of clouding, but this is normal.

Ingredients: Natural and Artificial flavors, propylene glycol, water, small amount ethyl alcohol

still, most fruit type vapes are shake and vape..

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I think he is making bootleg ejuice I myself like the alcohol based flavors like HPNO but I admit I have never had this happen with any simple fruits maybe a fermentation.. how that would be bizzarre

red6

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I got all my flavors from heartland vap . And from what I saw. Unless it's Capella all the bottles I get from them are from The Flavor Apprentice.

I make up large batches of flavor.
Example.
4% = 4 ml

After they are all together I add that whole flavor profile to the pg / vg mix at a 10 to 15% by volume.

10 ml bottle gets 1 to 1.5 ml of flavor
120 ml bottle gets 12 to 18 ml of that flavor profile.

I make it at a 3 nic
and the pg is 30% and vg is 70%
I put Nic first. Then flavor and finally the pg / vg mix and cook.

When doing something like dragon fruit I just pop that in the microwave for 5 seconds per 15 ml mix and shake and vape.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Capella makes a sweet strawberry - TFA makes ripe strawberry?

This is the first time you've done DIY? (I'm assuming, as you're saying this happens with everything?)

Let me make a suggestion: just mix up that strawberry alone at the 4% you're using it at (in your nic base with nic, pg, and vg) and taste that. No heat!

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
I got all my flavors from heartland vap . And from what I saw. Unless it's Capella all the bottles I get from them are from The Flavor Apprentice.

I make up large batches of flavor.
Example.
4% = 4 ml

that would be more like 10% :oops:

depending on your bottle size.. it would come out like this:

10ml bottle

would get 4% flavor

that is only!! .4ml not 4ml.. ;)

After they are all together I add that whole flavor profile to the pg / vg mix at a 10 to 15% by volume.

10 ml bottle gets 1 to 1.5 ml of flavor
120 ml bottle gets 12 to 18 ml of that flavor profile.

I make it at a 3 nic
and the pg is 30% and vg is 70%
I put Nic first. Then flavor and finally the pg / vg mix and cook.

When doing something like dragon fruit I just pop that in the microwave for 5 seconds per 15 ml mix and shake and vape.

I am a bit lost when you say "After they are all together I add that whole flavor profile to the pg / vg mix at a 10 to 15% by volume."

are you mixing by parts or weight? what calculator are you using?

lil bit confuzzled here..

if you add 4% of flavor, your base takes up the rest..

with .3ml of your nic
.4ml single flavor
and then your 2.6mlpg and 6.7mlvg..

are you using syringes??

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
i got a dixie cup with your name on it MrScaryZ :p
Whats funny is I do not drink anymore in fact I have had ummm maybe 4 drinks since 2000 maybe its those old days I remember
maybe I am getting buzzed off the HPNO cause I can vape that for a week.. dear god I am not healed.. :)

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I think he is making bootleg ejuice I myself like the alcohol based flavors like HPNO but I admit I have never had this happen with any simple fruits maybe a fermentation.. how that would be bizzarre
Bacteria can cause glycerine to breakdown and ferment

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I'm with Amanda on this one. Make your mix, leave your caps on. Shake it like you mean it, and sample. Leave it to rest overnight, still capped. Sample again. I rarely heat steep anymore, though it does help complex recipes sometimes. I've become too lazy for it, lol. I never uncap anything unless I'm refilling.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Smoky Blue, what Red6 is saying when he says 4% = 4ml is that he is making 100ml bottles full (large quantities). 4% of 100ml = 4ml ;)

yes, if red6 is mixing 100ml and using 4% that would come out to 4ml..
i can do my math.. :p

that would be more like 10% :oops:

depending on your bottle size.. it would come out like this:

10ml bottle

would get 4% flavor

that is only!! .4ml not 4ml.. ;)

see??

red6 still hasn't said anything on this at all.. o_O
i hope red6 was able to make something vapable for more than a few days now.. :)

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm with Amanda on this one. Make your mix, leave your caps on. Shake it like you mean it, and sample. Leave it to rest overnight, still capped. Sample again. I rarely heat steep anymore, though it does help complex recipes sometimes. I've become too lazy for it, lol. I never uncap anything unless I'm refilling.

I'm with you. I only heat steep if there's a ton of flavoring (Caps custard) Or if I know the flavors will steep well (never citrus, spices, etc). Or if it's got some funky taste that needs to go away LOL

RMarcusY

☮ Ambassador ☮
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well step one should be make small batches, 1ml or 10ml. No sense wasting juice till you get it right.
I make 50 different flavors so far and I don't cook or steep any of them . No Tabaco flavors yet, and menthol is very strong even at 0.5%
I make them, shake them and put in a dark drawer of my desk until I put them in a tank to vape them.
Most of my juices are at a 10% flavor level. Most are TFA from Heartlandvapes.

red6

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Sorry folks I was at my daughters band compition. They took 2nd in the USA in there class by the way.

No I haven't been able to make any more as of yet.

I was making small batches of 15 ml and everything turned out great. It was when nice made the large batches that things went weird.

Yes I am very new to the diy ejuice and was only doing things i read on this forum. Everything I read was put heat to the mix to speed up the steeping process.
I'm a truck driver and don't have the luxury of leaving the cap off and wait 2 to 3 weeks as I bounce down the road.

I'll try some more monday without the heat.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Congrats to your daughter and all of ya! That's great stuff.

Truck driver? Bouncy? Hell, make em and take em with ya. That bouncing will steep em great. I'm not joking.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Sorry folks I was at my daughters band compition. They took 2nd in the USA in there class by the way.

No I haven't been able to make any more as of yet.

I was making small batches of 15 ml and everything turned out great. It was when nice made the large batches that things went weird.

Yes I am very new to the diy ejuice and was only doing things i read on this forum. Everything I read was put heat to the mix to speed up the steeping process.
I'm a truck driver and don't have the luxury of leaving the cap off and wait 2 to 3 weeks as I bounce down the road.

I'll try some more monday without the heat.

it's ok, you have to start somewhere, red6.. :)
you will get the hang of things soon..

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Thank you everyone.
This is just one of many reasons I like this forum. You can be as green as green can be and nothing but help comes to you.

:) we were just like you, red6.. some pick it up really quick, and others stumble, but eventually it starts to become a lot easier..
glad to see you posting.. keep asking questions!

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If we could combine all about vaping from all of our member friends, there would be hundreds of years of knowledge! And It don't hurt anyone far as I know. Let the FDA put that in their shorts! Ask away!

red6

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
:) we were just like you, red6.. some pick it up really quick, and others stumble, but eventually it starts to become a lot easier..
glad to see you posting.. keep asking questions!

Ok back at work and let some juice bounce down the road with me.
It turned out so much better.

So here's a great question. ..
what is a complex mix that does need heat??
5 to 6 flavors?
15 to 20 flavors?
Creams? Custards?

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Put the lime in the cocoa nut, & drink it all up! and Vape it. Adding Booze to PG and or VG does nothing as far as I can tell. Works quite well in a Mug though.

VU Sponsors